Nominated ball between cue ball and object ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nominated ball between cue ball and object ball

I just had a game of snooker where I received a free ball. I nominated the blue in order to pot it but the blue came off the jaws to rest between the cue ball and the only remaining red. My opponent said it was a foul as I had, in his words, "snookered" him behind the nominated ball. I was a little confused but gave him the benefit of the doubt even though he could hit the side of the red and therefore, in my mind, he was not snookered. I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify this position for me?.

Your opponent was correct, you can not snooker behind a nominated free ball - by mistake or purpose.

One exception, you can when only the Pink and Black are left on the table

Originally Posted by Martin56 View Post
    I was a little confused but gave him the benefit of the doubt even though he could hit the side of the red and therefore, in my mind, he was not snookered.
    He was snookered as you must be able to hit both extreme edges for there not to be a snooker
    Last edited by DeanH; 11 February 2018, 10:03 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I thought a snooker is when you cannot hit either edge, It is interesting. So if I am correct if you nominate a colour as your free ball and leave it anywhere near the only red, for instance, so that it could be hit full ball but not both edges (a kind of free ball scenario again) then it is a foul and a free ball is then awarded again. I've had this situation a number of times but never thought that it was a foul as you could hit the ball fully in the face. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally Posted by Martin56 View Post
        I thought a snooker is when you cannot hit either edge, It is interesting. So if I am correct if you nominate a colour as your free ball and leave it anywhere near the only red, for instance, so that it could be hit full ball but not both edges (a kind of free ball scenario again) then it is a foul and a free ball is then awarded again. I've had this situation a number of times but never thought that it was a foul as you could hit the ball fully in the face. Thanks for the clarification.
        Yes, unless you can hit both extreme edges of at least one ball on then you are snookered.

In the scenario you describve in your last post, you have to remember that it is the obstructing ball closest to the cue ball that is the 'effective' snookering ball. So if the position after you took your blue free ball was cue ball, green blue, last red, then green would be the effective snookering ball so no foul (or free ball for your opponent).
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Thank you. Having been playing for a number of years I find myself reflecting on the term snooker. "Are you snookered?" "No! I can hit the edge."

But also reflecting on the free ball rule when the nominated ball is slightly in the line of the shot, only to the extent that one edge might not be hittable. Which I believe now is a foul if it follows a free ball.

I am grateful to this forum for providing the opportunity to help me improve my game and knowledge of the game!!!

Comment

Working...
          X