2018 World Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    I very much doubt that is what most people think. There have been quite a few players outside of the top50 who have reached ranking finals and semi-finals this season, playing some good stuff in televised matches, so to call them "embarrassing" is a bit much... :wink:
    OK, maybe I should of changed "most people" to "most people outside of TSF", and of course, you are completely correct that there have been some outside of the Top 50 going deep into events this season, but when even people like Mark Selby are playing so poorly (I haven't watched his match today yet), unless you're a *hard-core* Snooker fan (how many of those are left?) it's not good to watch. The standard just doesn't have the same consistency that it once did, especially in the earlier rounds.

Comment

Originally Posted by thevenue2 View Post
      He's saying what most people think.... The current crop of pro's outside the Top 50 or so are nothing short of embarrassing. Literally 50/50 chance with any good amateur club players. When he finally hangs hi cue up, it could well signal the beginning of the end for televised Snooker.
      I hear ODRL who is (imho) A true snooker fan. But in my heart I fear you might be right.Rons talent is so high the average viewer / fan who doesn't play or is just a club fun player may not be able to comprehend normal pro standard snooker. (Which is very good obviously) but sometimes, even often looks average by comparison. If by default this causes the "Everyman" viewer to think the standard has dropped, it may well be a decent of sad proportions TV viewing wise. : (

So to drop the bomb... Will Ronnie do to snooker what W Lindrum done to billiards? With no malice, no intent other than the pursuit of excellence.... ?
      Last edited by Cue crafty; 22 February 2018, 10:35 PM.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

There are many, many, snooker fans turned off by the whole ROS circus, once he's gone, they will return, and snooker will not even notice his absence. Despite what he and his fans think, he is not the center of the universe.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
          There are many, many, snooker fans turned off by the whole ROS circus, once he's gone, they will return, and snooker will not even notice his absence. Despite what he and his fans think, he is not the center of the universe.

-
          Is that "our inner hardcore" though Pat or do you believe there is a wider audience ready to take up viewing the future of the game? Hope you are right if so but can't help feeling that the audience may be far smaller than that.
          If anyone can confirm large viewing figures in the EU and huge global figures due to China I'm a happy man for sure.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
            Is that "our inner hardcore" though Pat or do you believe there is a wider audience ready to take up viewing the future of the game?
            Yes I do CC. TBH, I think the shorter format is a bigger threat to the game than any lack of ROS.

-
            The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              I hear ODRL who is (imho) A true snooker fan. But in my heart I fear you might be right.Rons talent is so high the average viewer / fan who doesn't play or is just a club fun player may not be able to comprehend normal pro standard snooker. (Which is very good obviously) but sometimes, even often looks average by comparison. If by default this causes the "Everyman" viewer to think the standard has dropped, it may well be a decent of sad proportions TV viewing wise. : (

So to drop the bomb... Will Ronnie do to snooker what W Lindrum done to billiards? With no malice, no intent other than the pursuit of excellence.... ?
              It's exactly the "Everyman" viewer that I'm referring to, let's face it, it's only Ronnie who even gets Snooker in the news 80% of the time. Who, in the average household has heard of Mark Selby etc, let alone ANY of the newer players, the exposure/numbers just aren't there anymore, even after a tournament has ended, it rarely makes it on BBC news (Sports section). Whenever I mention Snooker to colleagues at work, they know 3 players on average; Jimmy, Ronnie & Higgins.

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

-
              If you actually believe that, you're truly delusional. Think about what you typed.... "Snooker will not even notice his absence"... yeah, OK then.

Maybe like Tennis will be no worse off after Federer goes, yeah?

Comment

That's right, tennis will be no worse off. You need to take the long view instead of obsessing over one individual player, they come and they go, twas ever thus.

-
                The slow and labourious,

Comment

The game will struggle without Ronnie, id like to be proven wrong.... But with the current personalities (or lack of) on tour I highly doubt anyone will be box office like Ronnie is and was.

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                    The game will struggle without Ronnie, id like to be proven wrong.... But with the current personalities (or lack of) on tour I highly doubt anyone will be box office like Ronnie is and was.
                    Don't worry mate, Mozart died in 1791 and yet music is still quite popular I believe.

-
                    The slow and labourious,

Comment

Kind of agree with potblack. It's alittle hard to see or comprehend with Ronnie being around or not but he's right. No player is bigger than the sport.

Comment

I personally couldn't care less about Ronnie, but I could imagine there would be a slight dip in terms of interest by some people, who are not really "Snooker Fans". There are some die-hard O'Sullivan fans, who only watch his matches or at least they tell this. But I don't know how many.

Comment

Originally Posted by thevenue2 View Post
                          Maybe like Tennis will be no worse off after Federer goes, yeah?
                          Tennis won't be worse off. It's such a global sport. Sure, it was a golden era for the sport with Roger and Rafa, but even when both of them retire the interest will be high.

Comment

Take a bow Ronnie, awesome stuff that! Almost a 5-0 5 tonne victory and don’t get better than that!!
                            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                            Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                            Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                            Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

So there's no snooker tomorrow afternoon? Who's bright idea was that? Make sure there's afternoon sessions all week when most people are at work, and none on Saturday when everyone can go. Great idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                                So there's no snooker tomorrow afternoon? Who's bright idea was that? Make sure there's afternoon sessions all week when most people are at work, and none on Saturday when everyone can go. Great idea.
                                yep, why not just two matches today (the last two 1/4); then two SF tomorrow, and final on Sunday
                                much neater
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X