Doing the Turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Dredd46 View Post
    I was thnking 60" but then how much is too much? and what would be the negatives?

Never heard of the "yips" but sounds right. Death grip on cue like each shot is about to win me a world title or a 147 Thanks for reply
    As a long term user of a long cue (61 1/2 inches) I'd say there is no negative to being comfortable in your stance and able to stretch your bridge arm as much as you like and have enough cue over your thumb to sight the object ball and for a decent length backswing.
    Your yips might be because your backswing is very short due to being tall and using a cue that is too short for you; and your body movement might just be because you have a limited view of the object ball and strive to look up at the peripheral view of the table to see if the object ball is on its way before you actually strike the cue ball.

These things can be cured by using a longer cue, how long is all about your phsyique, 6 foot 2 with long arms then 60 inches, 6 foot 2 with normal arms then 58 might be OK.
    pm me as I have some options you might be interested in.

Oh and get a cue glove to cure that sticky bridge hand.
    Last edited by vmax4steve; 20 July 2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      As a long term user of a long cue (61 1/2 inches) I'd say there is no negative to being comfortable in your stance and able to stretch your bridge arm as much as you like and have enough cue over your thumb to sight the object ball and for a decent length backswing.
      Your yips might be because your backswing is very short due to being tall and using a cue that is too short for you; and your body movement might just be because you have a limited view of the object ball and strive to look up at the peripheral view of the table to see if the object ball is on its way before you actually strike the cue ball.

These things can be cured by using a longer cue, how long is all about your phsyique, 6 foot 2 with long arms then 60 inches, 6 foot 2 with normal arms then 58 might be OK.

Very good point Vmax, if you can only have a short backswing, a build up of tension because everything has to be done quickly in a few inches on the way forward sounds almost inevitable.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
        Bernhard Langer must have written stuff about how he got over his - or at least spoken about it in interviews.

Crossed\Closed eyes, pretty much the same thing, imho.

Or (and apologies for repeatedly posting this link, but I think that it is rather good re plan, approach and hit) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQ8AOLGFxE give the reds either side of the "black spot" a go, then scatter some balls and pot in the same way ie get behind line, approach and fire - you'll be amazed how many go in. I gave it a go with no back swing ie cue hand already back.....
        Not a golfer but I'll check out Bernhard Langer and see whats what.
        Not sure who the guy is but watched his 5 golden rules of snooker awhile ago. Does seem the longer I stay down on a shot the worse it becomes. I'll give it a go next time on the baize.

Comment

Some good points, my backswing is compact to say the least, blink and you miss it. Never thought about me arms but staring at them now and would edge to them being long. Body movement makes sense as I normally move my eyes to object ball as I play cue ball. I've found chin on cue obscures my view of the object ball.
          I've avoided the glove for fear of looking like a complete twat but can't be worse then in out in out shake it all about.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dredd46 View Post
            I've avoided the glove for fear of looking like a complete twat but can't be worse then in out in out shake it all about.
            I wear a glove all the time, bought one for the sticky summer nights and got so used to such smooth cueing that I now use it all the time. The sniggering stops when you start potting and knocking in the 50+ breaks, plus you're bigger than most so they tend to stay silent anyway.
            If you like maple then a black glove is perfect as it really enhances the shaft when addressing tip to cue ball.

Comment

I wear a glove all the time, bought one for the sticky summer nights and got so used to such smooth cueing that I now use it all the time. The sniggering stops when you start potting and knocking in the 50+ breaks, plus you're bigger than most so they tend to stay silent anyway.
              If you like maple then a black glove is perfect as it really enhances the shaft when addressing tip to cue ball.
              I've never seen anyone in a club with one so wasn't sure if was a bit of a gimmick. True about the silence, I look like the hulk with a cue thanks to the yips. Think I might hunt one down and give it a go

Comment

Working...
              X