Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat my highest break of 57 with a 68 using Chisholm's walk in and approach over the weekend.

For me, it works...Incorporated into the PSR pre shot routine - put the cue on the table dead flat almost every time, and noticed the times when I didn't put the cue on the table dead flat when approaching the shot, I missed!

Approached the shot with right foot just outside of white, cue behind hip and flat on table rail, cue pointing off left of white...Still potted the balls even when was finding middle of white.

Even when missed a pot, it rattled or got very close to bag...

Third week in a row using it, and made breaks of 68, 51, 46, and 42....

Only thing I don't agree with Chisholm on in this "system" is his aiming at bags. Sure, if the shot is right to left then you aim at the far jaw, but if your potting a ball into a bag from left to right, then you need to aim for the wider margin of the pocket...

I think when it comes to his "CONTACT POINTS" theory, he is trying to explain, 1/2 ball, 3/4 ball and 1/4 ball pots, but I'm not sure as I've been told that no matter which angle you're on the contact point is the same, it's just a different journey into white contacting the object ball.

As someone said on here, there are some great nuggets in books, and in terms of the walk in, that's the nugget that has improved my game, as I was as I said before always struggling with the textbook way of WALKING IN and approaching!
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
      Beat my highest break of 57 with a 68 using Chisholm's walk in and approach over the weekend.

For me, it works...Incorporated into the PSR pre shot routine - put the cue on the table dead flat almost every time, and noticed the times when I didn't put the cue on the table dead flat when approaching the shot, I missed!

Approached the shot with right foot just outside of white, cue behind hip and flat on table rail, cue pointing off left of white...Still potted the balls even when was finding middle of white.

Even when missed a pot, it rattled or got very close to bag...

Third week in a row using it, and made breaks of 68, 51, 46, and 42....

Only thing I don't agree with Chisholm on in this "system" is his aiming at bags. Sure, if the shot is right to left then you aim at the far jaw, but if your potting a ball into a bag from left to right, then you need to aim for the wider margin of the pocket...

I think when it comes to his "CONTACT POINTS" theory, he is trying to explain, 1/2 ball, 3/4 ball and 1/4 ball pots, but I'm not sure as I've been told that no matter which angle you're on the contact point is the same, it's just a different journey into white contacting the object ball.

As someone said on here, there are some great nuggets in books, and in terms of the walk in, that's the nugget that has improved my game, as I was as I said before always struggling with the textbook way of WALKING IN and approaching!
      How often do you play Chris? That sounds like amazing improvement in a short space of time. Are all these breaks in frames or practice sessions/routines?

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
        How often do you play Chris? That sounds like amazing improvement in a short space of time. Are all these breaks in frames or practice sessions/routines?
        I've had one to one coaching with a coach for a year now, the breaks are in line ups. I only started using Chisholm's approach three weeks ago though. My highest break before that was 57 but was finding that I had issues with walking in when my coach spotted it. However, I can't get on with the textbook approach to walking in and approaching because I always seem to miss balls thick...

As soon as I used Chisholm's approach though I found I was potting much better and not hitting balls thick....

In answer to your q directly, I only can get to play three times a week at the most because the club where I go is a bit of a drive...I used to play in a club near me but that shut down, then, I played at a Rileys, but that shut down too!....

Comment

That's a good improvement Chris , i haven't watched any video's etc . As i am happy with just cueing slightly off centre . Which as i said , was taught to me by an ex pro .

Has helped my game considerably , feel a lot more confident as well .

Don't want to watch any technique videos , as last time i did that my game went to pot......well no pots actually

Where abouts do you play Chris ?
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I've had one to one coaching with a coach for a year now, the breaks are in line ups. I only started using Chisholm's approach three weeks ago though. My highest break before that was 57 but was finding that I had issues with walking in when my coach spotted it. However, I can't get on with the textbook approach to walking in and approaching because I always seem to miss balls thick...

As soon as I used Chisholm's approach though I found I was potting much better and not hitting balls thick....

In answer to your q directly, I only can get to play three times a week at the most because the club where I go is a bit of a drive...I used to play in a club near me but that shut down, then, I played at a Rileys, but that shut down too!....
            That's good progress mate. Most guys don't class line up, solo routines as their highest break. They only count as breaks when you're playing a frame against someone else. Hopefully your improvement will transfer to playing frames.

Comment

That's good progress mate. Most guys don't class line up, solo routines as their highest break. They only count as breaks when you're playing a frame against someone else. Hopefully your improvement will transfer to playing frames.
              My highest break in a frame was against a mate a few months ago now and was 43...

He stopped playing because he is a Doctor on call so couldn't reliably know if he could stay or not on a weekend- etc...

The only problem I have is the club where I practice hardly has anyone play down there (in my age bracket) a lot of them are oldies in terms of 70s, 80s so It am struggling to play frames against other people....

My coach occasionally organises a frame or two in lessons with someone else when he is double booked, but I'd really like to start playing other people so I can get some frame practice....

Comment

My highest break in a frame was against a mate a few months ago now and was 43...

He stopped playing because he is a Doctor on call so couldn't reliably know if he could stay or not on a weekend- etc...

The only problem I have is the club where I practice hardly has anyone play down there (in my age bracket) a lot of them are oldies in terms of 70s, 80s so It am struggling to play frames against other people....

My coach occasionally organises a frame or two in lessons with someone else when he is double booked, but I'd really like to start playing other people so I can get some frame practice....
                You could ask on here for any players nearby that might be able to meet up for a game. I've played a few guys from the forum now and it's good to put a face to the forum name.

Comment

You could ask on here for any players nearby that might be able to meet up for a game. I've played a few guys from the forum now and it's good to put a face to the forum name.
                  If there is anyone in the Surrey area, who can get to Woking, and can play at weekends, then feel free to message me...

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    That's because you're trolling me, you haven't read the thread and simply jump on all my posts seeking to demeen them.

My Stephen Hendry point was for Alabadi who doesn't believe you should aim the object ball outside the pocket when playing with side.
                    And who are you to say that Hendry doesn't understand, how the hell do you know that ?

No I'm not, Roy Chisholm aims his cue outside the line of aim when stepping into the shot and then the cue pivots on his bridge as he moves his hips to the side and the butt comes onto the line as the tip addresses centre cue ball. If this is CTE then I don't really give a damn and I doubt he does either.

If you're striking across the line of aim then you're deflecting the cue ball. If you've aimed centre cue ball and then pivoted to strike with side you're effectively playing down the wrong line of aim and deflecting the cue ball onto the line of aim, you're not cancelling deflection at all, you're using it.
                    I don't know how you manage it but you get things A about T every...single...time...

I can't be bothered to explain the finer points of BHE to you, but you have it wrong, yet again.

Anyway, as for Hendry having no understanding of throw, check out this little beauty at 7:40. Selby clearly cannot see enough of the ball to pot it. He is clearly playing with right hand side. His cue is clearly level. The right side spin on the CB clearly throws the OB to the left.

Hendry, and, doubtless, you, thinks he swerved it. Completely clueless, clearly.

https://youtu.be/bY8-Eq3s01E

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                      I don't know how you manage it but you get things A about T every...single...time...

I can't be bothered to explain the finer points of BHE to you, but you have it wrong, yet again.

Anyway, as for Hendry having no understanding of throw, check out this little beauty at 7:40. Selby clearly cannot see enough of the ball to pot it. He is clearly playing with right hand side. His cue is clearly level. The right side spin on the CB clearly throws the OB to the left.

Hendry, and, doubtless, you, thinks he swerved it. Completely clueless, clearly.

I have no doubt whatsoever Hendry knows the shot he just didn't explain it very well in commentary that's all.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post

Of course he swerved it, why do you think shots like that can't be played any harder ? because if you played those shots any harder then the cue ball will swerve too late as it's a question of judging pace and swerve. If the side is transfering to the object ball then as long as the initial deflection is compensated for you could play those shots as hard as you like to get good position, yet you can't, you have to play them slowly. Link to one that's played on a snooker table with any sort of power and we'll argue the toss over that.
                        You and your transfered side fantasy are destroying any hope some people have on this forum of benefitting from using side at all.

Everyone on this forum who plays the game please try this; put the cue ball tight on the cushion and play along the cushion with both left and right hand side very gently and see what the cue ball does, then let biggie know as he won't bother because he's right up Dr. Dave's anus and refuses to leave.

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                        I have no doubt whatsoever Hendry knows the shot he just didn't explain it very well in commentary that's all.
                        He said all there was a need to know, bottom left hand side on the cue ball, aim the yellow three inches from the pocket to the side cushion and hit it hard to split the pack of reds.
                        Last edited by vmax4steve; 25 July 2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          If the side is transfering to the object ball then as long as the initial deflection is compensated for you could play those shots as hard as you like to get good position, yet you can't, you have to play them slowly.
                          Steve, i was once playing the lineup and landed too low on the black (i was on the green side of the table). if i played the natural angle i would collide with the red above it. as i was trying to work out how to play the shot.
                          Barry Stark who was coaching on the next table and was observing came across and told me i could avoid the red if i play the shot thicker and using side to throw the OB into the pocket, as the Black was going to the left i needed to play with a trace of right hand side at a slow pace. He demonstrated this and it did make the pot and avoided hitting the red. i then tried it myself by aiming thicker and again i made the pot and avoided the collision.

i have heard some commentators on TV mention this too , where they say "he used some side to throw the ball in". before this i had never tried it , but since then i have used it a few times and found it to be a useful tool.

to why or what is happening i don't know the science precisely , is any spin transferred to the OB causing it to swerve/take a different path? or is the cueball swerving into the OB taking a different path and avoid the collision that way.
                          all i know is that i can do this and it works.

what is your opinion on this?

Comment

• From the horses mouth from 6'50 (ish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6P6jGfefI

Comment

• Many people, Barry Stark included, see the outcome and come to the wrong conclusion. The cue ball swerves very slightly when played with side at a low pace, you will see this if you play the cue ball along the cushion. You can't play this shot with any kind of power, ask yourself why, and again I ask you to play the cue ball along the cushion at a slow pace with side and watch it leave the cushion about a 1/4 of an inch and come back onto it within twelve inches.

That's all that's happening.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                                From the horses mouth from 6'50 (ish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6P6jGfefI

Ask him why the shot must be played very gently. According to his explanation the side kicks the red in so in theory you should be able to compensate your aiming to allow for the greater deflection, make an even thinner contact on the red so the faster spin kicks the red ball even more, yet you can't do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X