can't cue straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    haha, you never wanna be square to the table, what a load of bull ****. No wonder these clowns have no accuracy and cue power. Pool for y'all moms and pops. Damn!
    not quite the full picture man, i recon that bird in that vid would bash you up all day at 8,9 or 10 ball

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      you play pool but you wanna snooker technique, i think your missing something. you might wanna hit the road an surround yourself with good pool players, just to open things up a bit
      snooker technique can get you all the way to the top in pool,it isn't necessary to use pool technique.just look at mark gray,daryl peach,chris melling etc

Comment

• Originally Posted by kflps View Post
        sorry to interrupt the convo guys but here are some vids that i took a couple of weeks ago from the back showing my delivery:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLf8bTJUH4Y
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRXWyjhBSQ
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_J-EC02Vw

these videos were taken before i changed to a "cue snug against index/thumb" snooker grip.someone on this thread told me that my grip is a little off & that i need to adopt a grip more into the palm of my hand.could this be the reason for my wrist turning to the right during feathering/delivery?and if so,how can i adopt a grip more into my palm?i maybe way off on this one but it was just an idea that came to mind.let me know if you have any other ideas about what's causing this
        If you look at the 3rd video, your thumb lifts off the cue, is moving backwards, bending and grabbing the index finger through tenseness. Relax. Concentrate on the fingers and allow you thumb to hang down touching the cue, be dead and play no part in the shot. Screw back will come more from getting through the ball in a relaxed action than tensing up. But your grip and action don't look too bad to me, I've seen far worse. Ring grip with no gaps as you know is the way forward. Your rear finger positions look ok to me, not too loose or tight. Just watch that thumb coming into play.

Comment

snooker technique can get you all the way to the top in pool,it isn't necessary to use pool technique.just look at mark gray,daryl peach,chris melling etc
          all snooker players whove crossed over to pool have compromised their technique to adapt to the conditions

Comment

all snooker players whove crossed over to pool have compromised their technique to adapt to the conditions
            I agree, whether they know they're doing it or not, they do change to the pool table a bit, simply because it's lower down, both US and English pool. You rarely get your shoulder down on a pool table, so that's another adjustment that has to be made. And often there isn't the room for a long bridge, so that has to be changed as well. Snooker improves pool, pool definitely doesn't improve snooker. But anyone taking a snooker set-up to a pool table has to be congratulated, at least they're not adopting the rubbish techniques of most US pool players we see. End of the day, it's only a kids snooker table (English pool).

Comment

• I've had tape put at the bottom of the cue to help with the grip, also put a Mike Wooldridge super tip on which feels very good
              Last edited by GeordieDS; 30 July 2015, 09:53 PM.
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

All 3 guys were excellent at snooker, pro standard. Melling is still a snooker pro. They did not learn their accurate cueing on 9ft US tables.
                Now I am not implying that you should try Filipino or American style cueing. Personally, I think that some of those freewheeling styles require far too much natural talent and coordination in order to play high level pool, even on big pockets. And then there are also other styles, German, Taiwanese...etc. Which to choose for pool? A lot of present younger 9ballers have that dillema.
                It is perfectly ok to use snooker-ish style for pool if you like it. I mean you are watching snooker players on television and they are your role models. Nothing wrong with that. Americans have their role models, Filipino players their own...etc. You can only sort of copy what you see frequently and what you personally have taste for.
                But make no mistake. Style is just that, a style. It doesn't guarantee good cueing at all, no matter what cue game.

Comment

• I guess the person to look at for pool is Efren Reyes, a chap who's taken snooker frames off Ronnie and Jimmy, with his pool cue! He's a foot in line player so some similarities with orthodox snooker stance.

Comment

mark gray and some other 9 ball players from the gb9 ball tour didn't compromise anything though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                      I guess the person to look at for pool is Efren Reyes, a chap who's taken snooker frames off Ronnie and Jimmy, with his pool cue! He's a foot in line player so some similarities with orthodox snooker stance.
                      i would never try to imitate the style of efren reyes.the only thing similar is that he's a foot-in line player like you said but his up & down stroke & his super-loose grip would never work with me.the problem isn't that i use a snookerish style to play pool,it is my wrist twisting.if i solved that problem i don't think i would have any problem whatsoever using the snooker technique in pool.today i was playing in a 9 ball tournament and i won the 1st match but the wrist was killing me in the second match but i managed to win 9-8.but when i missed some easy shots in that match i knew straight away that it was the wrist,i was feeling it in my back hand.i have to cure this problem if i want to improve in pool or snooker otherwise i might as well stop playing & wasting my time..

Comment

+10 to this !!

Comment

i would never try to imitate the style of efren reyes.the only thing similar is that he's a foot-in line player like you said but his up & down stroke & his super-loose grip would never work with me.the problem isn't that i use a snookerish style to play pool,it is my wrist twisting.if i solved that problem i don't think i would have any problem whatsoever using the snooker technique in pool.today i was playing in a 9 ball tournament and i won the 1st match but the wrist was killing me in the second match but i managed to win 9-8.but when i missed some easy shots in that match i knew straight away that it was the wrist,i was feeling it in my back hand.i have to cure this problem if i want to improve in pool or snooker otherwise i might as well stop playing & wasting my time..
                          Gotcha and no coach would ever recommend a see-saw cue action but that comes from his bridge a lot, loop bridge and how low he doesn't go, no chin on cue for this fella. However, he's foot in line which proves that snooker tips do work for potting in general. The lady in the video posted earlier is ankle on shot, toes pointing out to the right, all wrong! She makes it work, but loses cue power IMO from this stance. And her cue action doesn't look dead straight or reliable. Yes, I am saying that power and accuracy comes from alignment. Most Americans haven't got a clue.
                          Last edited by Master Blaster; 1 August 2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• hi guys,it's been a while since i posted this thread,the last few months i've worked really hard on my cue action,i have taken all the advice here and i think i finally fixed the cue going offline,i think my problem was that my back arm was a bit too far back and not vertical in the address position and i wasn't unfurling my fingers which both caused a bit of tension in my upper arm and the cue going a bit up and down and not parallel with the table.but i'm not sure if i've fixed it yet so i've posted a video cueing on the kitchen table,is this a straight cue action?i'm not using the chest as a guide in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KY9...ature=youtu.be
                            Last edited by kflps; 31 May 2018, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X