Twitching on the rear pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitching on the rear pause

I'm really trying to improve the length of my back swing and rear pause as I've neglected both over the years. Going fairly well especially in practice but in a match situation on a key pot, especially a long pot I twitch sometimes on the rear pause, often striking before I'm really ready to or failing to commit to it. That's when I miss the pot. Advice?

Oddly enough I've been working these past 2 weeks on the same thing and I've noticed not really a twitch but when I do the rear pause I seem to be tending to rushing the shot. Then I figured out I broke one of my own first rules, i.e. - trying to do 2 things at once, lengthening the backswing and trying to do a rear pause (which I've never had).

Today I cut out the rear pause effort and just tried to lengthen the backswing. I found it worked much better if I used the grip that I try and teach (I stupidly have tried every grip in existence) and I found the feeling of rushing the shot disappeared and everything smoothed out and I played much better although of course it was just solo practice and not match play.

I switched my grip to just easily 'holding' the cue with the upper part of the thumb and forefinger but not squeezing either against the butt of the cue, just allowing the cue to sit there with no pressure applied and this made the longer backswing stay pretty straight and oddly enough with the longer backswing I found there was a very short natural rear pause and also on the positive side it meant I started my delivery less abruptly and this gave me better accuracy and also better cueball control.

I'm also concentrating on accelerating through the cueball and I keep driving the cue until the grip hand hits the chest, which is another thing I teach that I haven't really been doing consistently.

Hope this helps

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I see your point about not trying to do two things at once but I'm reluctant to compromise in a match when I can see the improvement coming in practice trying both the longer back swing and the rear pause.

Comment

Terry, that is soooooooooooo spooky.

I had a long coaching session today and that was the precise thing he got me to work on - lengthen the back swing, taking the cue all the way back and don't feel too precious about a pause.

If a distinct pause is there naturally fine, if it isn't don't introduce an artificial one.

A slow-ish longer back swing had me doing blues off the spot into the black pockets and screwing back to baulk 8 in 10. It really worked for me
        #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

bolton:

It's working for me too. I've always thought a rear pause would make me a better player but I've found out (as you said) an artificial one is definitely not the way to go.

On another tack, I have been finding a good FRONT pause is really beneficial and increases my consistency and cueball control. Maybe it's a case of one or the other because I've been told by a good coach to virtually eliminate the front pause and concentrate on the rear pause and I did try that with awful results.

Terry
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Terry, you probably already have at some point, but check Neil Robertson re the pause and tell me where the pause is.... interesting when you see it.
            #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

I'm kinda conflicted because at times the rear pause works well for me but as soon as I feel I'm 'reaching' for it it goes wrong. But I don't want to give up trying to make it a consistent part of my game because I'm sure my play will benefit if I can find that consistency.

Comment

i am alright with the rear pause. but when i do a pull back the cue goes left and right slightly. what is really causing it?

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
                  i am alright with the rear pause. but when i do a pull back the cue goes left and right slightly. what is really causing it?
                  It might be your grip is too tight - just allow the cue to lay in the fingers and try holding the cue lightly with the upper part of the forefinger and thumb. Another common reason is you have some upper body movement during the backswing like perhaps you are breathing in and the chest is expanding. Another likely cause is the backswing is too quick...it should be very slow and deliberate (if this doesn't totally screw up your timing that is).

One good way to get this right if you can do it is take a page from j6uk and Steve Davis and on the backswing watch the ferrule come back then move your eyes to the object ball at the end of the backswing and that will give you a rear pause and allow you to focus on the object ball at the time of strike.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    It might be your grip is too tight - just allow the cue to lay in the fingers and try holding the cue lightly with the upper part of the forefinger and thumb. Another common reason is you have some upper body movement during the backswing like perhaps you are breathing in and the chest is expanding. Another likely cause is the backswing is too quick...it should be very slow and deliberate (if this doesn't totally screw up your timing that is).

One good way to get this right if you can do it is take a page from j6uk and Steve Davis and on the backswing watch the ferrule come back then move your eyes to the object ball at the end of the backswing and that will give you a rear pause and allow you to focus on the object ball at the time of strike.

Terry
                    i think the breathing has got something to do with it. shall go do something about it and give you an update.

Comment

You're holding it too tight and not allowing your back fingers to open up naturally.

Baseline you gotta hold the cue with your thumb and fore finger

Comment

For me,as Terry said,the front pause before i start with my preliminary's works best to prevent the twist.Make sure you'er lined up well,your eyes at ease and feel your elbow is in the right place before you start to cue..You can sometimes slowly get unpunctial and the urge to twist can be a subconsious try to compensate.

Comment

I would try another strength on your grip and make sure your addressing the ball correctly. Tip should be up close to the cue ball before starting to feather as many people that do shake a cueing when they get down so find it hard to judge how far to push through and then it gets into your head. Only my thoughts but i have helped a fair few people with coaching.

Comment

To develop the thread, is it best always to try and go for the same length of back swing and same time of rear pause, or does it depend on the shot? Selby, I notice, seems to be one who always seems consistent with his long back swing and pause. Also I was intrigued to hear on the recent TV coverage of a tournament that Marco Fu, experienced pro though he is, is only now working on developing a longer back swing. I had noticed that his seems less pronounced than most other top players, as is Mark Allen's.

Comment

depends on the shot for me.Cueing from front pauze to front pauze helps my timing and lets the rear pauze take care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X