No announcement yet.

Marco Fu's new cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it fair to say 1 piece cues are making a bit of a comeback, in the 80s and 90s it felt like most played with two piece cues, I could be wrong though.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Is it fair to say 1 piece cues are making a bit of a comeback, in the 80s and 90s it felt like most played with two piece cues, I could be wrong though.
      I feel its the opposite. Most are changing to 3/4 cues. Maybe its the ease of carrying around since they are playing tournaments around the world nowadays. Fear of damage or loss. Cheers.

Comment

Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
        I feel its the opposite. Most are changing to 3/4 cues. Maybe its the ease of carrying around since they are playing tournaments around the world nowadays. Fear of damage or loss. Cheers.
        So who has changed to a 3/4 cue recently?

Comment

seeing as splasher is unfortunately absent lol one piece cues are more desirable re longevity but absent re ease of mobility. the joint has to be top drawer and
          i personally have not seen a joint better than bob akers perspex joint for feel

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
            I don't think 1 pc cues ever went away. Jimmy was the reason a lot of amateur players started using jointed cues, but most top players I've found have always preferred the feel of a 1pc.

I really don't see more players using 3/4 today though. You only have to look at the rankings to prove this. Current top 16, 12 players using 1pc cues, or roughly 23 of the top 32 from my knowledge.
            That is by far and away that the vast majority of pro players prefer 1pc cues.

Comment

Fu would be nuts to change cue about now.
              If he does change? Then good luck with that! :snooker:
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                Fu would be nuts to change cue about now.
                If he does change? Then good luck with that! :snooker:
                I don't think Fu is considering changing cues at this time, the thread was resurrected from Feb 2013
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  I don't think Fu is considering changing cues at this time, the thread was resurrected from Feb 2013
                  Lol! :snooker:
                  "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019
                  http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                    seeing as splasher is unfortunately absent lol one piece cues are more desirable re longevity but absent re ease of mobility. the joint has to be top drawer and
                    i personally have not seen a joint better than bob akers perspex joint for feel
                    funny how people react to a joint - I am a one piece player but always hated bobs perspex joint!
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      funny how people react to a joint - I am a one piece player but always hated bobs perspex joint!
                      Still the best joint for feel

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        I don't think 1 pc cues ever went away. Jimmy was the reason a lot of amateur players started using jointed cues, but most top players I've found have always preferred the feel of a 1pc.

I really don't see more players using 3/4 today though. You only have to look at the rankings to prove this. Current top 16, 12 players using 1pc cues, or roughly 23 of the top 32 from my knowledge.
                        Of the current top 16 player only 6 play with jointed cues:
                        Neil Robertson, Marco Fu, Mark Allen, Joe Perry, Barry Hawkins and Mark Williams.
                        VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                        Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                        Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                        Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
                          Of the current top 16 player only 6 play with jointed cues:
                          Neil Robertson, Marco Fu, Mark Allen, Joe Perry, Barry Hawkins and Mark Williams.
                          Yes I made a mistake including Fu for some reason, I think this thread confused me. Also I think a player who has a joint fitted into a cue is a bit different to a normal 3/4 jointed cue. Williams had his joint fitted above the splices just as Ronnie did at one point in his career. Its still IMO a 1pc cue in the traditional sense and not a solid butt 3/4 joint which is what the cue was intended to be.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post

On my list I have 10x 1pc, 6x 3/4 in the top 16; 13x 1pc and 10x 3/4 (9x unknown) in the top 32
                            so yes a majority for 1pc but not by a huge difference.

Chris Wakelin changed from 3/4 to 1pc in 2015 (also Ash to maple).
                            Only one person I have "changing" from a 1pc to 3/4 is Fu - and that probably does not count so much as he went from his DeRoo 3/4 to 1pc Wright (and others) and then returned to his 3/4 DeRoo
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Don't see any advantage of a 3/4 over a one piece other than being marginally easy to transport. No need to have a joint in there otherwise, just more to go wrong, spoil the feel and potentially compromise the balance.

Comment

Its tough to keep up with what the pros use, some change so frequently but I think its fair to say 1pc have always been and probably always will be the preferred choice, especially by the very top players. Apart from Williams and Robertson, every winner of the world championships in the modern era used a 1pc cue. Coincidence, I don't think so!

Comment

Working...
                                X