Some very welcome progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some very welcome progress

Yesterday I went to the club early to get a bit of practice prior to a game.

I had decided to try to introduce a bit of a more pronounced front and back pause to my game. I started off by simply potting the Black off its spot and, I couldn't believe the difference, I potted eight absolutely cleanly before I missed. Normally I would pot the first and then miss the next, pot a couple and miss another. I then went down to the baulk end and had similar success.

What amazed me even more was during our first game. I had a 14 ball break and all with intended positional play!! Now the break was only 42 but it was 14 balls. i didn't do that again but my overall potting was very much improved.

Needless to say that I will be persevering with this pause. Can any of you more knowledgeable and skilful players offer an explanation as to why the pause has caused such a dramatic improvement to my game

Hope you're all enjoying this wonderful weather. Come on you England Boys, good luck today!!

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
    Yesterday I went to the club early to get a bit of practice prior to a game.

I had decided to try to introduce a bit of a more pronounced front and back pause to my game. I started off by simply potting the Black off its spot and, I couldn't believe the difference, I potted eight absolutely cleanly before I missed. Normally I would pot the first and then miss the next, pot a couple and miss another. I then went down to the baulk end and had similar success.

What amazed me even more was during our first game. I had a 14 ball break and all with intended positional play!! Now the break was only 42 but it was 14 balls. i didn't do that again but my overall potting was very much improved.

Needless to say that I will be persevering with this pause. Can any of you more knowledgeable and skilful players offer an explanation as to why the pause has caused such a dramatic improvement to my game

Hope you're all enjoying this wonderful weather. Come on you England Boys, good luck today!!
    For me, the front pause checks that the tip is where it should be before the final feather and the rear pause is a check you are in the right place for the shot before making it.

I'd be interesting to see what others feel.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

i feel like these pauses split the cue action and shot into different segments so you aren't rushing to strike the shot

Comment

I use a prolonged front pause myself and I also teach this method. For myself and my students it seems to confirm the sighting and concentrates the mind just prior to the last backswing. (I should note I don't have much of a rear pause at all but I do teach the advantages of that to my students.)
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Front pause is the same as Shockerz, a confirmation where the tip points at. Back pause for me does two things: (1) a start point to start accelerating, without it I tends to snatch the cue (2) a final confirmation to fine aiming where I want to hit.(Under pressure, I found myself even 'looking' at the contact, but my mind wasn't aiming IE stop visualizing...)

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I use a prolonged front pause myself and I also teach this method. For myself and my students it seems to confirm the sighting and concentrates the mind just prior to the last backswing. (I should note I don't have much of a rear pause at all but I do teach the advantages of that to my students.)
            I like the front pause too. For me, it makes sure that tip as at the right spot on the cue ball before initiating my backswing. I've tried for over a decade to implement a rear pause and i just can't do it with any consistency. The happy medium for me is a smooth transition between back swing to delivery.

Comment

Went to the club again yesterday and, much to my delight, continuing with the front and back pause is yielding positive results.

My potting is much improved. I am so much more consistent now. I am too long in the tooth now (78) to be able to make huge strides but, to be regularly potting 4, 5, 6, and occasionally 7 and 8 balls is magical for me. Long may it continue.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
              Last edited by bluenose1940; 11 July 2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X