No announcement yet.

2019 Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk of Judd's new found maturity, I don't know, would love to see him dominate more but I'm not convinced he will. There were plenty of examples of poor shot selection and terrible cueball control yesterday, which on another day Ronnie would have taken full advantage of. Yes it was a great tournament for him, beating Wilson, Robertson, Selby and Ronnie to lift it, and he played very well in the final, but I do feel that for whatever reason ROS wasn't all there, and not entirely due to the pressure from Judd either.

But c'mon Judd, prove me wrong, please, we need young blood!

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
      I agree. I think there's more to his form problems than we maybe know. His mind seems to be elsewhere.

He made a throw away jest the other day about his wife probably being happy to get rid of him for a while so I hope all is well there and it was just a joke. DT also said he had a quick word with him in the interval of his match with Mags. He told DT he felt very nervous in the first couple of frames but said he was going to pull himself together because he should be enjoying playing in the Masters.

Nerves and insecurity are not really things I've ever associated with Mark. More nerves of steel and burning desire!
      I speak to Mark fairly regular, he's incredible in practice, never misses anything. He has admitted to struggling a bit and feeling as though his form can differ one frame to the next.
      It's interesting that he had a little girl a few years ago which coincides with his indifferent form, i've not had kids but can imagine it changes your outlook/routines somewhat.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
        The people who don't like him are basically cushion crawlers and negative tip tappers....
        Actually, most of the criticism seems to be coming from "Jimmy Brown Sauce" who is a ROS and Alex Higgins fan, like your good self, and crocodile who likes Robertson, Hawkins and Ding.

-
        Last edited by PatBlock; 21 January 2019, 06:03 PM.
        The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
          Actually, most of the criticism seems to be coming from "Jimmy Brown Sauce" who is a ROS and Alex Higgins fan, like your good self, and crocodile who likes Robertson, Hawkins and Ding.

-
          Thanks for reminding me! Actually I've gone off Ding of late, gave me a good reason to update my profile ....
          Last edited by crocodile; 22 January 2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Fun watch that. Thx for posting.

Comment

• The 147 item

Comment

• Originally Posted by peejaytwo View Post
                Fun watch that. Thx for posting.
                Glad you enjoyed it mate.

-
                The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                  Any guesses on who would make the 147th 147?
                  There it is. History! Gilbert makes the 147th 147 today.

Comment

• What a shame, Ding's nearly 147 would have been so much more memorable.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                      Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                      I agree. I think there's more to his form problems than we maybe know. His mind seems to be elsewhere.

He made a throw away jest the other day about his wife probably being happy to get rid of him for a while so I hope all is well there and it was just a joke. DT also said he had a quick word with him in the interval of his match with Mags. He told DT he felt very nervous in the first couple of frames but said he was going to pull himself together because he should be enjoying playing in the Masters.

Nerves and insecurity are not really things I've ever associated with Mark. More nerves of steel and burning desire!
                      I speak to Mark fairly regular, he's incredible in practice, never misses anything. He has admitted to struggling a bit and feeling as though his form can differ one frame to the next.
                      It's interesting that he had a little girl a few years ago which coincides with his indifferent form, i've not had kids but can imagine it changes your outlook/routines somewhat.
                      Thanks for the insight. I remember seeing the piece on the BBC they did about his little girl, and him saying she was getting upset etc when he was going away to tournaments.

Some guys can't wait to get away from that responsibility but Im sure Mark is struggling with that aspect. It's tuff to play top level focused snooker consistently if the image of your crying baby daughter saying daddy why do you have to go? is in your head when playing in a match.

Priorities definitely change, but I'm sure he will be back to win a trophy just for her! ; )
                      Last edited by Cue crafty; 23 January 2019, 08:11 AM.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                        What a shame, Ding's nearly 147 would have been so much more memorable.
                        Yes. Bit of an anti climax isn't it. If Ding had actually potted the yellow in its own pocket and got on the green that would have been a 147 talked about for decades!!

It was a tough yellow for sure, but probably not really harder than the yellow Cliff Thorburn potted in his 147??

Shame, just a boring stat now....
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Congratulations to David Gilbert on his 2nd pro 147
                          Nicely constructed max as well
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPkH5CE5fA

The 147th 147 since WPBSA sanctioned "official" maximums; of course there were many other maximums, sanctioned or not by the then-governing body, over the years since 1934

Of course there is no major fanfare as it happened (1) on the gambling sites-only viewing, and (2) it is not a BBC event, and (3) it is not a Eurosport event.

Is it an achievement or just a stat?
                          It is a stat and it is an achievement for Gilbert

Boring stat? no stat is boring are they? :biggrin:
                          depends who you ask :wink:
                          Last edited by DeanH; 23 January 2019, 10:02 AM.
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Is there any cash for Gilbert's 147? Anyone know if there is any prize money on offer for this Championship tournament? Often wondered what prompts some of the leading players to take part. Would have thought this would be a good time of year to take a break. Maybe it keeps them match sharp.

Comment

• of course there is money; for each frame won, for winning the group, then entry to the Winners Group, AND winner of winner entry to Champion of Champions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Championship_League
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Is it just me or has the Masters somehow never been really great within the last years? I hardly remember any enthralling matches and especially the finals always have been a huge letdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X