Elbow tucked in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow tucked in

Been missing long straight shots recently and got mate to take a look and noticed the following (I'm right handed):

Right elbow bent inwards toward body.

Stance
    Left elbow bent and bridge length fine.
    Right hand/left hand/ right foot/chest/dominant eye on line.
    Loose grip.
    Pause front and back.
    Boxers stance.

When I bring left foot to square stance it helps as when I twist the right elbow slightly tucks in.

Looked on internet but can't find any real tips that help me to check my elbows in a good position. I'm of to practice today and will try a square stance but don't want to tinker too much without a check as I don't want to end up with another issue!

Does anyone have a drill or check for the elbow?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

I don't have a drill except to cue into a mirror. On the other hand having the elbow hanging in a bit didn't seem to bother either Hendry or John Higgins who have done all right with it (unless it's hanging in like Joe Swail don't worry about it in other words).
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

if you can cue along the baulk line straight from low to full power then you should feel confident that your cueing straight

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I don't have a drill except to cue into a mirror. On the other hand having the elbow hanging in a bit didn't seem to bother either Hendry or John Higgins who have done all right with it (unless it's hanging in like Joe Swail don't worry about it in other words).
        Thanks Terry. Yeah I've been cueing in the mirror and brought my left foot around for a squarer stance which seems to have made a difference. I'll just have to persevere with the elbow now looking good until it feels natural.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          if you can cue along the baulk line straight from low to full power then you should feel confident that your cueing straight
          Yeah I must admit this is an exercise I do a fair bit and it always feels fine on the bulk line but not in the game.

Struggling to push the cue right through at the moment which is driving me nuts as I've always had a bit of a stop on the cue as soon as it hits the object ball.

I've always managed to get away with it as even when i'm not smooth I ma to grind things out but just lost all rhythm at the moment. Anything over 8ft seems to find me out as regards straightness!

I have 2 examples on our website where one shows me with a nice rhythm and the other is all over the shop but still potting.

http://www.petersfieldbowlingandsnoo...line-up-breaks

Elbow better in videos so not sure why it's changed now!

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            Yeah I must admit this is an exercise I do a fair bit and it always feels fine on the bulk line but not in the game.

Struggling to push the cue right through at the moment which is driving me nuts as I've always had a bit of a stop on the cue as soon as it hits the object ball.

I've always managed to get away with it as even when i'm not smooth I ma to grind things out but just lost all rhythm at the moment. Anything over 8ft seems to find me out as regards straightness!

I have 2 examples on our website where one shows me with a nice rhythm and the other is all over the shop but still potting.

http://www.petersfieldbowlingandsnoo...line-up-breaks

Elbow better in videos so not sure why it's changed now!
            good to watch those videos, and i can see youve got a lot of natural ability
            i believe if you could be more precise with your cueing technique, it would reflect in your positional play
            maybe try the lineup in sequence. if youve not done this before you could start with 5, 10, then all 15reds with colors
            again i took this video from the cueing thread, as you can see im going for the max but i played a few dodgy shots like the 14th red and black
            Last edited by j6uk; 30 September 2015, 12:18 AM.

Comment

good to watch those videos, and i can see youve got a lot of natural ability
              i believe if you could be more precise with your cueing technique, it would reflect in your positional play
              maybe try the lineup in sequence. if youve not done this before you could start with 5, 10, then all 15reds with colors
              again i took this video from the cueing thread, as you can see im going for the max but i played a few dodgy shots like the 14th red and black
              Thanks for the comments.

Mate, what a really smooth cue action you have when striking the cue ball. I love the rhythm, the way your cue tip gets right back on the pause and the smooth repetitive follow through.

I'll give the line up ago in sequence and keep working on the elbow. I'm sort of in a quandary as I've just had the summer off just playing as normal and now the seasons started i'm thinking about changing things so my timings awful.

Liked your one feather then strike, I just can't brig myself to do it!

Comment

Don't worry about the elbow. Ronnie's is tucked in a bit behind his back. Hasn't done him any harm.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  Don't worry about the elbow. Ronnie's is tucked in a bit behind his back. Hasn't done him any harm.
                  Yeah a few people have said it to me about the elbow and I've seen pictures of pro's with it, I just wasn't sure why it had crept into my game from a year ago so thought i'd find a way to correct it.

I seem to be at a cross roads of ironing out all those things that aren't textbook and may be causing me not to cue straight, just getting down and hitting it or just getting through the cue ball with a good rhythm and waiting for things to click again.

Ah, what a game.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Thanks for the comments.

Mate, what a really smooth cue action you have when striking the cue ball. I love the rhythm, the way your cue tip gets right back on the pause and the smooth repetitive follow through.

I'll give the line up ago in sequence and keep working on the elbow. I'm sort of in a quandary as I've just had the summer off just playing as normal and now the seasons started i'm thinking about changing things so my timings awful.

Liked your one feather then strike, I just can't brig myself to do it!
                    i think i know where your at with your game, i can see the frustation you must feel at times from the difference in your cue action in those two lineup videos. in the one that you felt all over the place you were kinda pecking at the white an maybe not letting your cue go from the elbow as much as you were in the 111 line out break
                    apart from you moving on to the lineup i recmended, a few things you might like to try.
                    -slow the back swing down. then when your ready to go stay with the cue all the way though to the chest. close the back of the hand on shot completion. stay with the shot till the ob reaches its target hit or miss
                    -try getting a bit lower to the table with your cue, jack down a little
                    Last edited by j6uk; 30 September 2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      Spot on Ted my exact thoughts

Comment

drug test on the yellow ball screw back!! lol
                        nice line up mate, some very nice pots in there

Comment

Originally Posted by shafter View Post
                          yeah he nipped out for a comfort break on that shot

Comment

Originally Posted by shafter View Post
                            Thanks for making me laugh!!

I still don't know why I was so low on the ball when it only needed to come back a little. Got confused with my h1 to 10's.

Comment

i think i know where your at with your game, i can see the frustation you must feel at times from the difference in your cue action in those two lineup videos. in the one that you felt all over the place you were kinda pecking at the white an maybe not letting your cue go from the elbow as much as you were in the 111 line out break
                              apart from you moving on to the lineup i recmended, a few things you might like to try.
                              -slow the back swing down. then when your ready to go stay with the cue all the way though to the chest. close the back of the hand on shot completion. stay with the shot till the ob reaches its target hit or miss
                              -try getting a bit lower to the table with your cue, jack down a little
                              Yeah I certainly won't disagree with your comments as I think you're spot on.

I sometimes get to the pause and then it's like cutting an elastic band. I struggle with the slow start and then accelerate finishing with the hand on the chest.

I'm back on Thursday for the afternoon so I'll try a little warm up and see how I get on in the practice session. I'm continually working on things, maybe you could lend me your arm.......

Comment

Working...
                              X