Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help advice with break building / shot selection

Hi
    After advice with scoring and shot selection. Ive been playing up to about 10 hours per week mostly solo. Im making the odd century but struggling for consistency ~ particularly with shot selection, execution and general scoring. Seem to choose wrong red or execute it in wrong way and break down half the time when i should be scoring more in the balls...
    Any suggestions or advice ?

When a match is on TV try and guess the shot they will play before they play it . If you get it wrong , ask yourself was the pros shot selection better than the one you guessed and why it was a better choice .

I was told this buy a decent club player a while ago and it helped me

Comment

Who does not struggle with consistency but you are putting in a few hours and your standard is decent if you have the odd ton in practice. So the advice is different I think for you than it would be for someone like a beginner in that you probably already know and have a good grasp of the shots to play and you already know your limitations better.

If I where you I'd try a few things - I agree with the above post and that is an excellent tip to watch a bit more snooker and pick out the shot - that's always good but you need also to mix it up - not just solo but play people/better players and learn off them too.
      If solo is your main love then I would try out a few more challenging routines like trying to make the line up without touching a cushion and other challenging positional routines and things like that.

If you do play other good players take notice how they leave that particular angle or play a shot in such a way they leave themselves options or play in a area where there are more than one red available or perhaps they play for a red that clears a line to a pocket for a colour or they play a cannon in a certain way or they take time on a easy shot over pocket and have a look around the table taking time to map it out.

I think Hendry once said when he plays he has a little commentator in his head...could try that one too.

A few little nuggets to munch on there Mr Maximus ta taaa for now
      Last edited by Byrom; 23 April 2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Im making the odd century but struggling for consistency
        If that's the case, you're at a better standard than most the forum. Practice trumps all.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          If that's the case, you're at a better standard than most the forum. Practice trumps all.
          agree with this 100%

if you're making tons you're playing at a very high level to begin with. Its a matter of time and simply observing which shots 'let you down' and learning from the mistake.
          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Get practicing with better players, it's the best way to learn.

I learnt a lot from Pottr ^^^ certain shots at certain moments can open up the whole frame for you.
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
              Get practicing with better players, it's the best way to learn.

I learnt a lot from Pottr ^^^ certain shots at certain moments can open up the whole frame for you.
              Great advice, you just seem to get better through osmosis ,playing better players.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Great advice, you just seem to get better through osmosis ,playing better players.
                Biggest thing for me when practising against better players is the level of concentration I put in, perhaps out of fear of knowing what will happen if I miss or wanting to make a point against a good opponent.
                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

[QUOTE=tomwalker147;886988]Biggest thing for me when practising against better players is the level of concentration I put in, perhaps out of fear of knowing what will happen if I miss or wanting to make a point against a good opponent.[/QUOTE
                  I try harder when I get a chance because I don't know when the next ones coming, so it's full concentration mode from the first ball to the last ball of my eight break

Comment

truggle with consistency

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    Who does not struggle with consistency but you are putting in a few hours and your standard is decent if you have the odd ton in practice. So the advice is different I think for you than it would be for someone like a beginner in that you probably already know and have a good grasp of the shots to play and you already know your limitations better.

If I where you I'd try a few things - I agree with the above post and that is an excellent tip to watch a bit more snooker and pick out the shot - that's always good but you need also to mix it up - not just solo but play people/better players and learn off them too.
                    If solo is your main love then I would try out a few more challenging routines like trying to make the line up without touching a cushion and other challenging positional routines and things like that.

If you do play other good players take notice how they leave that particular angle or play a shot in such a way they leave themselves options or play in a area where there are more than one red available or perhaps they play for a red that clears a line to a pocket for a colour or they play a cannon in a certain way or they take time on a easy shot over pocket and have a look around the table taking time to map it out.

I think Hendry once said when he plays he has a little commentator in his head...could try that one too.

A few little nuggets to munch on there Mr Maximus ta taaa for now

hey man thanks taking the time for that. well yeah i gotta say i have tried jut about all routines including ones suggested. My best break is a 135 and my highest to date this year was 127 break vs club player in practise. so so... i maybe expecting too much but then i get annoyed when im running short on position either under or over hitting which i find infuriating and annoying drives me nuts pal... I think its in the execution of the shots really... I always make a ton or two from solo of course but i need to take it into matches on a regular basis and when u dont u begin questioning yourself and doubts creep in like am i really as good i think or have been?
                    so you see its not just the positional side its possibly also a mental thing. You expect and therefore your mind doesnt stay present runs ahead or replays errors... belief i suppose in the end... But whats most infuriating is practising these f******routines for hours then going doing the same **** head errors on position in match practise or solo frame... I know what im capable of and when it doesnt fire i just end up losing interest... IF my timing is working then i can get away with a lot of short or overhit positional shots... but i suppose what concerns me most is that im putting myself under unnecessary pressure by losing the cue ball too often and in matches this can only be magnified...

id say i do about 6-9 hours per week currently. So this level is based upon this time on the baize....

any further insights welcome...

Comment

thanks everyone really appreciate that... :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by maximus147 View Post
                        hey man thanks taking the time for that. well yeah i gotta say i have tried jut about all routines including ones suggested. My best break is a 135 and my highest to date this year was 127 break vs club player in practise. so so... i maybe expecting too much but then i get annoyed when im running short on position either under or over hitting which i find infuriating and annoying drives me nuts pal... I think its in the execution of the shots really... I always make a ton or two from solo of course but i need to take it into matches on a regular basis and when u dont u begin questioning yourself and doubts creep in like am i really as good i think or have been?
                        so you see its not just the positional side its possibly also a mental thing. You expect and therefore your mind doesnt stay present runs ahead or replays errors... belief i suppose in the end... But whats most infuriating is practising these f******routines for hours then going doing the same **** head errors on position in match practise or solo frame... I know what im capable of and when it doesnt fire i just end up losing interest... IF my timing is working then i can get away with a lot of short or overhit positional shots... but i suppose what concerns me most is that im putting myself under unnecessary pressure by losing the cue ball too often and in matches this can only be magnified...

id say i do about 6-9 hours per week currently. So this level is based upon this time on the baize....

any further insights welcome...

what can I say - the answer is always within - your problem is clearly mainly a focus and mental issue/frustration/ perhaps temperament too?

Try staying in the present try concentrating on your pre shot routine and accept that sometimes it just don't click - the top players are the top players because they better at accepting this and I'd say this is down to the experience of dealing with everything you are feeling.

Try more regular focused practice sessions don't mess around focus if you only doing 6-9 hours make the most of them turn your phone off no chatter / head down and practice - - the only excuses you have for loosing after that are limited even more cos you have put the correct practice in.

Impatience is a killer - and you have those expectations cos you know you can kick it - you play more you practice more you get better ....simple - like me though you have a life a job a family and stuff going on so what do you expect - seriously? 127 break this year in a game - dam mate for a casual player that's great. I made 114 a month ago and am similar standard to you... I make regular 50's like you do no doubt - what more do you want?

Seriously snooker players are never happy - if you made a max you'd want another to make sure it was not a fluke - so my advice to you unless you want to try and up it to pro level is is chill out You are a good level mate - your expectations are too high with that little bit of practice time you have.
                        Think back a few years remember that time before you got OCD with it? would you have killed for a fifty then never mind a ton.

In league snooker and matches my advice is ...

learn to love a bit of a safety battle a B game match. If you don't love your B game you have a serious problem as casual players and decent players use it more. If you want to knock regular tons in you got to put in much more practice I would say and play on decent conditions. It can be hard at club level to do this in matches because first of all its only one frame and table conditions vary from average to absolute rubbish - both in terms of cloth - cushions - balls - lighting - and those types of players that have 30 40 start against you who play pot a red and run ...play safe and mess colours up.

I don't equate league snooker to being a game - its a laugh you cant take that rubbish serious.

At your standard if we played a first to 10 maybe you'd win or I might - but there would be a few 50 plus breaks and a good laugh. I'd appreciate you playing well and you would me and generally the balls would not get messed up as much and we would both try and play the right shots. Meanwhile In that league crap you could play one frame against some duffer who shakes your hand looks at you like you raped his sister and bogs you down at every opportunity rolling you behind a yellow instead of potting that brown to try and get on the next red. Then next week some other guy gets a 50 start off you makes a few 16 14 breaks n maybe beats you one night on colours even though you make a decent break but after fluking a snooker then trebling the pink and quadrupling the black he celebrates like England have won the world cup and its all over twitter and facebook before he leaves your club and says goodnight.

I think that rubbish actually kills your game mentally unless you treat it like it don't matter - bit of a laugh - who cares.

So my insight... what are your expectations ?
                        Just club level hobby stuff then nothing wrong playing 6-9 hours a week but you want anything better put in more hours. You want to get better in that short time you got spare you must then focus on that time - use it well - practice properly and focus/concentrate. I still think though you have done well with what you have achieved with what little time you put in so far - so quite a bit of natural ability in you too no doubt.

Off the table work on temperament and mood off the table - stay positive - a persons personality off the table is always reflected on it. Practice at snooker is not just limited to the stuff you do on the table if you agree with this statement.

Last edited by Byrom; 27 April 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

1 1/2 hours a day for six days a week ( on average) is a lot of practice time for most folk.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            1 1/2 hours a day for six days a week ( on average) is a lot of practice time for most folk.
                            If you spread it out and do it regular over a week every day and its focused practice you might think so. Reality is people do it in spurts - they don't not do it regular or they might think they are practicing but they mess - play about with tips - play about on phones - chat - eat drink watch a bit of telly fart around generally lie to themselves. The best players are the best players because they put the hours in to hone their technique and treat it - practice- seriously.

Nothing wrong with that if by the way if you are happy with your game or just having a laugh and have no ambition to do anything mind. Steady bit of practice is enough.
                            Last edited by Byrom; 28 April 2016, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                              When a match is on TV try and guess the shot they will play before they play it . If you get it wrong , ask yourself was the pros shot selection better than the one you guessed and why it was a better choice .

I was told this buy a decent club player a while ago and it helped me
                              While this is in fact an excellent suggestion, there is one flaw though. If you have some particular favorite player, Ronnie for instance in my case, you kinda know their playing style and can easily guess what the player will do next to continue the break. I have watched so many videos of Ronnie that 9 out of 10 times I am right about this next shot.
                              So if you do this, try to watch different players for this analysis - also both left and right handed players will give you even more insight of the shot selection.
                              I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Comment

Working...
                              X