Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about the right cue specs

Hi,

I'm confused about what the right cue specs are for me. I shortened a 57" cue to 54" but it didn't feel right. Also, I am 5ft 3 and having such a short cue made it awkward to reach for a lot of shots.

I am looking for advice. I am wondering whether I would be best off with a longer cue, say 56 inches, but with a high balance point, so it feels ok when I'm holding it several inches up from the butt.

I would appreciate anyone's advice, thanks.

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
    Hi,

I'm confused about what the right cue specs are for me. I shortened a 57" cue to 54" but it didn't feel right. Also, I am 5ft 3 and having such a short cue made it awkward to reach for a lot of shots.

I am looking for advice. I am wondering whether I would be best off with a longer cue, say 56 inches, but with a high balance point, so it feels ok when I'm holding it several inches up from the butt.

I would appreciate anyone's advice, thanks.
    You need a day out at a decent shop with different cues you can try and just see what feels right.
    If that's not an option get hold of a cheap 16oz rack cue and an ounce of lead and tape it to the cue, moving it to adjust the balance point and take a half inch at a time off the butt until it feels right, then buy a cue as close to those specs as you can find, buy second hand or cheap until you know you've found the right specs that way you won't lose too much on the resale, then when you know your specs you can invest it getting the right cue made.
    From the expensive lesson you've just learnt with your JP cue, it will be £20 well spent!
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Go and see Nic Barrow or another top coach, you will realise that you can adapt to the cue.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Mate just grow a few inches that may help lol.

Comment

Thanks both for your advice. I have ordered some lead tape. My old cue is 57", cheap and quite light so I'm going to experiment with balance points and length. It's been an expensive lesson but I now know I need a cue with a high balance point. It doesn't necessarily have to be a short cue, just well balanced for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
            Mate just grow a few inches that may help lol.

Ha, yes it would be so much easier if I could get on with a standard length cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
              You need a day out at a decent shop with different cues you can try and just see what feels right.
              If that's not an option get hold of a cheap 16oz rack cue and an ounce of lead and tape it to the cue, moving it to adjust the balance point and take a half inch at a time off the butt until it feels right, then buy a cue as close to those specs as you can find, buy second hand or cheap until you know you've found the right specs that way you won't lose too much on the resale, then when you know your specs you can invest it getting the right cue made.
              From the expensive lesson you've just learnt with your JP cue, it will be £20 well spent!
              I bought some lead tape and experimented with balance points and cutting from the tip of the cue. I finally arrived at the right specs for me. 55" and a 19.5" balance point. Thanks for suggesting this method.

I may order a cue from cuecraft if they are able to achieve these specs as it won't be too expensive and there is an option to return the cue cue if you don't get on with it. Another option is Tony Glover, would love a ye olde ash replica, but this would obviously be expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X