Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my JPU today

Hi Folks

Well I finally took delivery of my JP Ultimate this morning woo hoo!!

Placed my order on the 31/07/2014 and received an email on the 15/04/16 to say it was ready for dispatch (unfortunately I had to wait a couple of weeks to rustle up the cash as the cash I had originally saved to pay for it was long since spent lol). So I was a wait of 21 months total which was not quite as long as expected.

I have put a link at the bottom for some pics if anyone is interested.

Ok so the specs:

Ultimate ash shaft with African ebony butt with four secondary splices of Bois de Rose.

Standard 3/4 butt at 16". SD joint fitted.
    57.75" long.
    10mm tip.
    18.5oz.
    29mm butt.

I also treated myself to a Parris patchwork case in red, black and grey as shown on their website.

So my initial impression: The cue has a lovely silky smooth but fresh finish (very different to the finish on my MW Black Legend which has been oiled a number of times now). Splice points are all even. The requested specs are bang on and the BP is ~ 16.5 inches. Four nicely spaced chevrons on the shaft down the line of sight. The four Bois de Rose secondary splices are quite dark and understated and IMHO beautiful. In my unexpert opinion this is a beautifully made cue and I cannot find fault with it at all. Unfortunately I cant get to the club to try it out until tomorrow to see how it plays (aaaaaarrghhh!!!) and that of course will be the acid test.

The case is quite substantial/robust, very well made and the leather used appears to be top notch. The locks are also reassuringly solid in construction. Plenty of room with a chalk compartment and another bigger one for accessories. My only criticism would be that the built in studs on the side to protect the leather are only on one side as opposed to both!

But overall I am a very happy camper at the moment. My initial feel is that this cue is right up there with my MW which I absolutely love but but we will see over the coming few weeks.

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/da.../JP%20Ultimate

Cheers

David

looks very nice but cant really tell with the photos being too close
    can we see a few a bit further away, i.e. showing the whole butt and then the whole shaft and maybe a whole cue shot; and don't forget to pinch the cheeks for a rosy look and fling your flowing locks! :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      looks very nice but cant really tell with the photos being too close
      can we see a few a bit further away, i.e. showing the whole butt and then the whole shaft and maybe a whole cue shot; and don't forget to pinch the cheeks for a rosy look and fling your flowing locks! :biggrin:

Looks nice from what we can see if it. Didn't wait three years either, think you've been lucky! No doubt will be a few disgruntled members who have waited 3 years for theirs!

Hope it plays as good as it looks

Comment

Lol cheers guys , Think I have been lucky with only a 21month wait ha ha!Dean I'll try get some more posted tonight , only got my iPhone camera but I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Comment

cool, yep hope it plays well for you

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
            Looks nice from what we can see if it. Didn't wait three years either, think you've been lucky! No doubt will be a few disgruntled members who have waited 3 years for theirs!

Hope it plays as good as it looks
            HAHA, just the 3 years, 5 months short of 4 years and since ordering I've developed the yips and have packed up!

Nice cue though David, hope it plays well for you. The beauty of JPU's though is they will always hold their value and you can sell it easily if you don't get on with it.

Comment

I'm interested to know how it compares to your MW when you get to take them both out to play.

Comment

still waiting for my 1pc JPU almost 45 months now... I'm just starting to lose my patience

Comment

45 months Jeez!!! Slim that is seriously crazy.............................. I would have cancelled my order a looooooooooooooooong time before now.

Well I've uploaded a few more pics to my Photobucket account and it is abundantly clear that my photography skills are poorer than my snooker skills oh and BTW if the cue looks bent in a couple of pics that's because I couldn't keep a steady hand with my iPhone on panoramic mode lol. Right enough chit chat, I am away to my club to put this beauty through it's paces And yeah Steve I am a little nervous because my MW plays like a dream so the comparison will be interesting. Still it's that old saying that none of us will ever play well enough to realise the full potential of a good cue. Right enough, my backside is making buttons so I am off the now. I will let you know how I get on (probably after the Police have to forcibly remove me from the club ha ha ha).

Cheers Guys

Comment

45 months??? FFS!! I would have told them to f*** off a loooooong time ago! You have a lot of patience my friend!
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

When I rang the shop back in October last year John said " thanks for being patience " lol...I past worrying about it years back, but still look every now and then...I will give Mr Parris another ring soon, as he said they should have been up to July 2012 in orders by spring this year (31st July 2012 I placed my order) still no order status change as of yet funny that!

Comment

It's kind a bull.... I have 39 months already , In november last year I've checked with them and the answer was "The shaft for your cue is in production but they do take quite a long time to make" then two months ago I ask them again and the answer is "Once your order shows in progress we will then have an idea of the completion date" ...So !!!! ) WTF ?!....I remember back in the day 2005 I order one and it was done in 12 months now it starts to became ridiculous. The only hope is the cue is going to be nice with perfect grain cause if is not then.....I'll sell it.

Comment

Why does an Ultimate take so long?

Is it a lack of decent shafts, a lack of staff or is it because John makes the ultimates himself and has so many orders?

Nice position to be in but just curious about the wait time.....
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            Why does an Ultimate take so long?

Is it a lack of decent shafts, a lack of staff or is it because John makes the ultimates himself and has so many orders?

Nice position to be in but just curious about the wait time.....
                            1. Supposedly not enough quality shafts available.
                            2. Too many orders for this team to fulfil in good time.
                            3. Any other reason you can think of.

:biggrin:

Comment

creating demand would top this list
                              Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              1. Supposedly not enough quality shafts available.
                              2. Too many orders for this team to fulfil in good time.
                              3. Any other reason you can think of.

:biggrin:

Comment

Working...
                              X