This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particular type of shot

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked before although I cant remember since Ive joined.

Is there a particular shot that you always seem to miss? Always too thick, too thin, play it too hard, catch the near knuckle, far or just get down and expect to miss as your track record with similar angles is just too poor.

Let me and the forum know and hopefully between us all we can help.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

The perfectly straight shot is always the hardest for me
    www.snookercuesdirect.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by ricklyle View Post
      The perfectly straight shot is always the hardest for me
      Easy starter for me

Simply your cueing. Cue straight and problem solved. To help you cue straight place the white on the brown spot. Now place 2 reds either side of the black spot with just over a balls width room to get through with the white. Now the temptation is to look at the middle of the white when you strike to ensure centre ball contact which you wouldnt do in a match so place a red in line with the black spot but actually on the cushion. Physically "off" the table. Line up the shot and stroke the cueball whilst looking at the red on top of the cushion and hopefully miss the 2 reds either side of the black spot.

With practice you can add 2 reds either side of the pink spot too and also the blue.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

How about shots where you have to cue from under the cushion - never been comfortable with these.

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
          How about shots where you have to cue from under the cushion - never been comfortable with these.
          A difficult shot. Firstly, it may help to hold your cue 2/3 inches higher than normal to give you more control.

You certainly dont want to be playing these shots at great pace and try to shorten your backswing ever so slightly again for more accuracy.

This shot is hard enough so dont over-complicate things and always remember your fundamental actions such as walking into the shot opposed to sliding in.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
            A difficult shot. Firstly, it may help to hold your cue 2/3 inches higher than normal to give you more control.

You certainly dont want to be playing these shots at great pace and try to shorten your backswing ever so slightly again for more accuracy.

This shot is hard enough so dont over-complicate things and always remember your fundamental actions such as walking into the shot opposed to sliding in.
            Hi Roy... some good advice...

... shooting from off the rail for me is like running with shoelaces tied...
            and what makes it worse is the slight but off-potting anxiety of past misses remembered...
            this tends to happen at about the 40-50 break mark...
            if I make that shot it gives me the adrenalin rush I need to re-focus and rack up another 20 or more...
            if I miss... welllllllll I seriously wonder if people with Tourette's Syndrome have
            missed just one-too-many railshots.

Oh ya... I did have a question Roy... can you explain what you mean by walking into a shot not sliding in?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Taking a step or two back to assess the shot/angle before walking into the shot opposed to just sloppily sliding into it.

Comment

Taking a step or two back to assess the shot/angle before walking into the shot opposed to just sloppily sliding into it.

Thanks mate.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Any kind of cut greater than 1/4 ball on the blue in middle pockets

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                    Any kind of cut greater than 1/4 ball on the blue in middle pockets
                    Sounds like a sighting problem. Although I dont recommend it iften try the ghost ball technique and see if it works for you. Failing that im afraid you need to spens a significant amount of time in practice setting these uncomfortable shots up and simply getting familiar with the angles. I would, at first at least, recommend plain ball striking. Keep it simple.

Comment

thanks for your help roy I do play this shot plain ball as i am not confident enough to use spin as i am trying my hardest to pot, i do also use th ghost ball technique, although this hasn't helped much.

I suppose it's just a matter of practising :snooker:

Comment

thanks for your help roy I do play this shot plain ball as i am not confident enough to use spin as i am trying my hardest to pot, i do also use th ghost ball technique, although this hasn't helped much.

I suppose it's just a matter of practising :snooker:
                        Yeah it is just the P word but try holding the cue just an inch higher. Hopefully youll feel more control when playing the shot..just an idea see how you get on. Sorry too for not getting back that time about Watford when im less busy ill deffo come down buddy.

Comment

Yeah it is just the P word but try holding the cue just an inch higher. Hopefully youll feel more control when playing the shot..just an idea see how you get on. Sorry too for not getting back that time about Watford when im less busy ill deffo come down buddy.
                          Will do, i'll give it a go tonight, when i go for a game. :snooker:

Comment

Will do, i'll give it a go tonight, when i go for a game. :snooker:
                            Excellent let me know how you get on.

Comment

I know this is probably the bread and butter shot for all you decent guys but i nearly always miss the black off the spot or any reds near that immediate area. I think i try too hard to get the white not to stick to the bottom cushion and mess it up.
                              Ha ha everyone i watch seems to know exactly which shot to play around the black but i seem to mess it up every time unless its a simple run through

I need serious help, although my potting is improving, my positional play is totally rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                              X