Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue care in hot humid countries

Hi
    I live in Thailand and play at a non air-conditioned club.
    What’s the best way to ensure your cue remains straight ?
    Also, does applying talc, a bear must, affect the cue ?
    I have a John Parris classic cue, 29 years old.

I'd also be quite interested to hear this after leaving my cue in the car all day - in the sun - whilst I was at work. It was actually a very sunny day today in Manchester for once. MY cues were very hot to the touch, got me a bit worried!

Comment

Originally Posted by Tim Thailand View Post
      Hi
      I live in Thailand and play at a non air-conditioned club.
      What’s the best way to ensure your cue remains straight ?
      Also, does applying talc, a bear must, affect the cue ?
      I have a John Parris classic cue, 29 years old.
      Surely talc would dry out the cue ? I wouldn't recommend it at all

Comment

Originally Posted by bolty View Post
        I'd also be quite interested to hear this after leaving my cue in the car all day - in the sun - whilst I was at work. It was actually a very sunny day today in Manchester for once. MY cues were very hot to the touch, got me a bit worried!
        Any extremes of temperature should be avoided, only asking for trouble !

Comment

And quite hot - shorts day for me

Comment

If you are using talc on the cue because it fells sticky? Usually it is not the cue but the hands
            Wash and dry your hands before/during play or maybe try a glove, seen them around when in humid places.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              If you are using talc on the cue because it fells sticky? Usually it is not the cue but the hands
              Wash and dry your hands before/during play or maybe try a glove, seen them around when in humid places.
              I think that he is worried about the moisture and heat getting into the cue as no air-con where he plays and thinks\hopes talc will stop it....

Comment

I have done the same - by accident and only a few times in the past - on hot and cold days; when I found the cue and case I have taken them in doors and left the case shut so the cue would change in temperature at the same rate is changed in the car.
                What affects wood is not necessarily hot/cold weather itself but the rate of change in temperature; so leaving the cue in the closed case allows the rate of change to be the same
                Anyway, that is my thinking

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                  I think that he is worried about the moisture and heat getting into the cue as no air-con where he plays and thinks\hopes talc will stop it....
                  The cue has been in that atmosphere so 20 years I think it is acclimatised now
                  along with all the wood in that country already

If he takes his cue from sitting in front of a air-con unit on -4C for a day and takes it to a room with 110% humidity and +40C; and it condensates then there could be a problem; the finish on the cue should protect it from moisture penetration.
                  We have all had a cue going from the car into the hall in winter and it feels cold; a good cloth down should do the trick, no talc

The talc to me pointed towards tacky hands not cue

Comment

As long as the cue is stored in a quality tight fit case and kept in a cool place away from direct sunlight and heat the cue will be fine.

Dean is correct is stating that talc is used for sweaty hand palms and not the cue. Nothing wrong with using talc on a cue while in use. Just wipe the cue off using a damp cloth and dry cloth after use - no problems.
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

For me, extremes of temperature are bad, humidity and moisture content are worse.

I've tried leaving cues out in the sun and not seen any notable change where as left cues in mild weather (rainy whether where the humidity is in the 50's and the cue has moved.

It also really depends on how much oil protection the cue has and whether it is shielded in a decent insulated case.

Glad to hear someone else's take on it.
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

The cues were fine in the end, but I fear one day i'm going to realise one of them is bent because I leave them in my car regularly. My case is pretty cheap although not terrible, but i'm not sure it's particularly well insulated.

Comment

It can get very hot and humid here. Today, 24 April we are expecting shade temperatures of 28 degrees. Summer will be much warmer. Equally in the winter we can get -15. I store my cues upright in a rack. They are all fine.

I believe it is changes in relative humidity that cause the problem, rather than variations in temperature. I have a hygrometer in the snooker room and try to keep the RH as stable as I can as that is good for the table and other furniture in there, particularly the piano.
                          王可

Comment

Are maple cues stickier compared to ash cues in humid conditions?

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                              Are maple cues stickier compared to ash cues in humid conditions?
                              No more no less

All down to quality and type of finish

Comment

Working...
                              X