Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Grits Of Sandpaper For Shaping & Finishing Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Is this one any good? Does it not rough the tip up a lot?

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
      Thanks. Is this one any good? Does it not rough the tip up a lot?
      Depends how you use it. I don't go up and down and across. I like to take the cue for a spin. This results in very little fluff once shaped. I hold the shaper firmly to the tip shoulder to begin with, then rotate. What I'm trying to do is mimic a lathe so I get as perfect a round dome as possible with no flat spots or lumps. It takes longer but you get a beautiful tip out of it. Builds your finger muscles, lol.

The shaper is a good size for the hand. It's indestructable (thick metal), unlike plastic shapers and the carborundum isn't going to wear out for decades.
      Last edited by Big Splash!; 17 September 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I've tried all the different tip shaper's and even a tungsten carbide tile shaper which was great but I still like the feel of glass papers and go through the grades when shaping a tip.

Call me old fashioned but I find it easier to do the different shapes that people ask for and I do get asked for a few odd ones!

Each to their own, it's not a price thing for me and my wife has plenty of different shaping files as I'm sure most women do that spend a small fortune on nail technicians!
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
          Depends how you use it. I don't go up and down and across. I like to take the cue for a spin. This results in very little fluff once shaped. I hold the shaper firmly to the tip shoulder to begin with, then rotate. What I'm trying to do is mimic a lathe so I get as perfect a round dome as possible with no flat spots or lumps. It takes longer but you get a beautiful tip out of it. Builds your finger muscles, lol.

The shaper is a good size for the hand. It's indestructable (thick metal), unlike plastic shapers and the carborundum isn't going to wear out for decades.
          Is this the same Splash do you think??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ker+tip+shaper

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
            Is this the same Splash do you think??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ker+tip+shaper
            No, it looks flimsier, the metal not as thick and it's flat. But if you do the cue rotating abrasion i recommend, it should do a good job.

I simply had to have a robust one that was curved as I fit quite a few tips for folk.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post

Going to get one of these .

So you hold the shaper lengthways , I.e vertical and then shape the very edge of the tip first ? Is that correct ?

Edit : by edge .....I mean where the side of the tip meets the flag of the tip .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                Going to get one of these .

So you hold the shaper lengthways , I.e vertical and then shape the very edge of the tip first ? Is that correct ?

Edit : by edge .....I mean where the side of the tip meets the flag of the tip .
                Yeah, can hold any bit of the file against the tip. If you get the curved file, just be careful not to get it in contact with the shaft, it will scratch it as you rotate. Begin with the tip shoulder where the tip top meets the tip wall. Keep the shaper stationary and rotate the cue. For the a flattish tip top, I like to pop the shaper on top of the tip, making a T. Because it's curved, as you rotate, you will make a dome automatically.

The shaper has been designed to work really well when you hold the cue still and go up and down, the traditional way. It does work, but then you spend ages trying to get the perfect dome.

Rotation leads to better results for me.
                Last edited by Big Splash!; 18 September 2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Got one of these today. Great piece of kit, cheers for recommending it Big Splash. You deserve all the accolades you give yourself lol

Comment

I prefer a file but if you are going to use sandpaper use wet & dry, the regular for wood stuff uses water soluble glue to hold the grit and it tends to get in the leather and harden or glaze your tip after a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X