Break cue (8 ball)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
    I had Jim Evans make me one (he converted one). It is about 16oz but has an 11mm phenolic tip.
    Steve Daking done a small experiment with a light cue and a heavy one(100 breaks with each I believe). The lighter cue potted more off the break than the heavy one. It was put down to the higher speed obtained from the lighter cue.
    Yeah it was a 16oz snooker cue v a 21oz American pool cue

Comment

Break cue - brought one to try it out.
      Got to say, be weary of the marketing alot of players are putting out there.

My cue just didn't offer anything magical as advertised, didnt transform my break any way. If anything, made it worse because I wasn't used to the cue.

Lighter weight and carbon tip? Give over. Supporters of the cue say that they best break with a little less power and a smooth action. Well, that is often the case using most cues and a decent table.

In my experience of pool, and ive only ever played pool. Making use of a variety of break cues over the years. Get used to ay set cue, and your break will develop just like in all aspects of cue sports.

My break has never been better using a 16 quid cue I won on an ebay auction.

Comment

Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post
        Break cue - brought one to try it out.
        Got to say, be weary of the marketing alot of players are putting out there.

My cue just didn't offer anything magical as advertised, didnt transform my break any way. If anything, made it worse because I wasn't used to the cue.

Lighter weight and carbon tip? Give over. Supporters of the cue say that they best break with a little less power and a smooth action. Well, that is often the case using most cues and a decent table.

In my experience of pool, and ive only ever played pool. Making use of a variety of break cues over the years. Get used to ay set cue, and your break will develop just like in all aspects of cue sports.

My break has never been better using a 16 quid cue I won on an ebay auction.
        Which break cue did you buy?

Comment

Shaun daly. Also borrowed a jason owen for a time. Pretty much the same but different quality.

Comment

Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post
            Shaun daly. Also borrowed a jason owen for a time. Pretty much the same but different quality.
            All cue sports are about learning your skills but looking on Facebook and reading the comments on Tyrone cues and Jason Owen there must be some advantages. There are top amateurs and pro's saying how much the break cues make a difference, they would have larger skill set to the average pool player but must still be a help if your serious about the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
              All cue sports are about learning your skills but looking on Facebook and reading the comments on Tyrone cues and Jason Owen there must be some advantages. There are top amateurs and pro's saying how much the break cues make a difference, they would have larger skill set to the average pool player but must still be a help if your serious about the game.
              You just wonder how much of this is genuine though, are these players getting free or cheap cues to give positive comments or am I just being far too skeptical here. Is it placebo effect? It seems a pretty lucrative "new" market being made on these break cues and I would assume there is a lot less work making them than a standard fully spliced cue.

Comment

I would say def some of the top boys have received freebies, same as any sport. Good marketing/advertising for the cue makers- I honestly can't see the point in them, only advantage I can see is protecting your tip when breaking, still think good/smooth cueing beats a dedicated breaking cue. Let's face it the break is a fluke no matter how you look at it.

Comment

ive decided to make my own to try out, its a one piece ash cue with only one small ebony splice so quite light, i would say 16/17oz. i have bought a 10.5mm fibre ferrule and a 10.5mm phenolic (sp?) tip to put on it.

i will take some pics this weekend if i get round to it. Its cost me 30 all together including the cue so no harm done if i dont like it.
                  http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

i break with a different cue a year or so ago i noticed a split near the centre joint of my cue craft cue so i was looking out for a replacement cue when i saw a dunns 1 piece cue and case for 35 quid in my local cash generator store i immediately thinned it down to my preffered tip size 5/32" or 7.93mm and fitted a kamui black medium tip i couldn't adjust to the dunns but noticed it did break the balls better the only thing i can put this down to is that it is about 1 1/2" longer than my cue craft i fancy a break cue but can't justify spending over £100 on one i have developed a break technique that works for me stand slightly further back with your body weight back then when lining the shot up sway back and fore transfering your weight backwards and forwards then when you hit the white flick the wrist forwards so you bring the wrist forward whilst moving your arm forward and transfering body weight forward all at the same time with practice it works a treat i think a longer cue will allow the cue to accelerate over a longer distance thus generating higher cue speed and hence more power i'm wondering if a standard cue with mini butt would work as well as a longer cue

Comment

Working...
                    X