Defying the laws of physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Most players not happy with doing the simple things well, too busy confusing themselves with things that hold them back and never learning the right way to approach the game.
    Mental approach, 50% of the game!

Comment

not enough time spent practicing, got to work earn a living , raise a family...... etc.

not everyone started when they were 8-9 and had parents who supported them to spend all their hours in a snooker club.

its quite clear and this goes for anything in life , you get out what you put in. natural talent, if there is such a thing probably accounts for 20% the rest is hard work. even ask Ronnie.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
        not enough time spent practicing, got to work earn a living , raise a family...... etc.

not everyone started when they were 8-9 and had parents who supported them to spend all their hours in a snooker club.

its quite clear and this goes for anything in life , you get out what you put in. natural talent, if there is such a thing probably accounts for 20% the rest is hard work. even ask Ronnie.
        I think if you want to do well at something you got to do your best to take the negative thoughts away that stop you moving forward. Concentrate on the positives. That's what Splasher means, mental approach 50%. Plus so many players jump in to league snooker now too early and winning takes over from learning.

Comment

I think if you want to do well at something you got to do your best to take the negative thoughts away that stop you moving forward. Concentrate on the positives. That's what Splasher means, mental approach 50%. Plus so many players jump in to league snooker now too early and winning takes over from learning.
          Maybe I should rephrase what I wrote mate. There is the mental side of the game, that includes how you approach the task, confidence, no fear, being positive, as well as shot selection, toughing it out, match sharpness and knowing how to win frames; then there is the physical technical side of the game. To be your best you need to max both. Obviously, there is interaction between the two aspects and the physical side is simply putting into action our thoughts and intent. If you're a kid, you can become technically good in 5 years and hit big breaks. Double that for an adult. But it's all doable.

So Alabadi, keep ya chin up mate. You're a winner for trying, not giving up and achieving things on the table. I've got more respect for you, and the 16-50 breakers than all the arrogant twats on here who think they know it all and are the greatest but actually, would struggle to beat Q school entrants, nevermind pros. Without you guys the game would be dead, the clubs closed and the arrogant would have no leagues to play in. If you're breaking above 50 now, please excuse me.
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 September 2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Most players not happy with doing the simple things well, too busy confusing themselves with things that hold them back and never learning the right way to approach the game.
            Good post. And some of them aren't doing the simple things well; the 6 basics/essentials. Like you say, too many try to run before walking then take a load of bad habits/technique to the table, then spend years fine tuning poor technique, never maxing their true potential.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
              Maybe I should rephrase what I wrote mate. There is the mental side of the game, that includes how you approach the task, confidence, no fear, being positive, as well as shot selection, toughing it out, match sharpness and knowing how to win frames; then there is the physical technical side of the game. To be your best you need to max both. Obviously, there is interaction between the two aspects and the physical side is simply putting into action our thoughts and intent. If you're a kid, you can become technically good in 5 years and hit big breaks. Double that for an adult. But it's all doable.

So Alabadi, keep ya chin up mate. You're a winner for trying, not giving up and achieving things on the table. I've got more respect for you, and the 16-50 breakers than all the arrogant twats on here who think they know it all and are the greatest but actually, would struggle to beat Q school entrants, nevermind pros. Without you guys the game would be dead, the clubs closed and the arrogant would have no leagues to play in. If you're breaking above 50 now, please excuse me.
              For me learning will always be ahead of winning. Kids learn quicker as they have far less negative approach and thinking of any excuse to say why they are not progressing. Age probably is a small barrier but not as big as its made out to be. If your constantly moving forward in your game your going to win eventually anyway.

I agree with the different aspects mentally but players that jump to just toughing it out and not learning the skills will close clubs eventually as nobody wants to go through that every week.

Comment

For me learning will always be ahead of winning. Kids learn quicker as they have far less negative approach and thinking of any excuse to say why they are not progressing. Age probably is a small barrier but not as big as its made out to be. If your constantly moving forward in your game your going to win eventually anyway.

I agree with the different aspects mentally but players that jump to just toughing it out and not learning the skills will close clubs eventually as nobody wants to go through that every week.
                Leagues are so desperate in some areas, anyone with a cue is asked to join a team. The wise club player refuses. Competitive snooker is a big jump, especially if it's just pot black frames.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                  Leagues are so desperate in some areas, anyone with a cue is asked to join a team. The wise club player refuses. Competitive snooker is a big jump, especially if it's just pot black frames.
                  That's the problem, even a friendly knock is thought of as competitive by plenty of players now. Instead of trying to win its more trying not to lose. I appreciated tedisbill and tomwalker147 coming to give me a game, no way would I want to drag them down to my level to just pinch the odd frame. If I win a frame against them I've tried to do it by outplaying them.

Comment

That's the problem, even a friendly knock is thought of as competitive by plenty of players now. Instead of trying to win its more trying not to lose. I appreciated tedisbill and tomwalker147 coming to give me a game, no way would I want to drag them down to my level to just pinch the odd frame. If I win a frame against them I've tried to do it by outplaying them.
                    I totally agree. When I play competitively against my playing partner (who is a better player than myself) I am not interested in winning unless I do so by outplaying him. I am interested in playing properly and taking my chances. A lot of the time we don't even score, just concentrate on quality play. Other times we play highest break per frame wins, which naturally encourages attacking snooker. Winning at all costs by tying up the game and playing negatively only harms personal progress in my opinion. Which is why I have parted ways with league snooker.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                      I totally agree. When I play competitively against my playing partner (who is a better player than myself) I am not interested in winning unless I do so by outplaying him. I am interested in playing properly and taking my chances. A lot of the time we don't even score, just concentrate on quality play. Other times we play highest break per frame wins, which naturally encourages attacking snooker. Winning at all costs by tying up the game and playing negatively only harms personal progress in my opinion. Which is why I have parted ways with league snooker.
                      +1 ghost, exactly how I feel.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                        +2. I have a friend who is like that and we play like that; it's the most enjoyable form of snooker when I can get hold of him. He, like me, has canned league. Let's spend 5 hours of our lives pulling thornes out of our feet for 30mins of anal handicap. Nope.
                        Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 September 2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

they have ruined the league in Sheffield this year, they introduced a new rule.
                          if you in a snooker and miss the ball on no matter what it will be called a foul and a miss. after the 3rd miss the opponent can play from where the balls lie, make you play from the same position or (wait for it) have ball in hand and play from the D.

i have lost the last 2 matches with this silly rule. only last night i was 7 ahead with 22 on. the guy missed the brown and i ended up snookered behind the pink. the brown was in the middle of the table a foot above the D. i missed it 3 times the cueball just kept sliding by twice missing by a whisker and once hitting the pink, so i gave away 14 points in fouls and my opponent is now 7 ahead has ball in hand brown just ahead of the D , Blue and Pink on their spots, easy 3 pots which he got.

it's totally ruined serious play, guys are putting opponents back taking the miss even when they have a clear pot at the ball on......crazy

Comment

if you in a snooker and miss the ball on no matter what it will be called a foul and a miss. after the 3rd miss the opponent can play from where the balls lie, make you play from the same position or (wait for it) have ball in hand and play from the D.

i have lost the last 2 matches with this silly rule. only last night i was 7 ahead with 22 on. the guy missed the brown and i ended up snookered behind the pink. the brown was in the middle of the table a foot above the D. i missed it 3 times the cueball just kept sliding by twice missing by a whisker and once hitting the pink, so i gave away 14 points in fouls and my opponent is now 7 ahead has ball in hand brown just ahead of the D , Blue and Pink on their spots, easy 3 pots which he got.

it's totally ruined serious play, guys are putting opponents back taking the miss even when they have a clear pot at the ball on......crazy
                            Our league has the same rules except for the D bit. The problem before was when the miss rule was dropped, players would be stuck behind say the yellow, then roll the cue ball across to the yellow cushion so they didn't leave a free ball or easy pot on. The no-miss rule was being abused, so they had to bring the miss rule back. Putting the CB back to the D is similar to the Black Ball pool rule in that you can put the CB behind the string. I don't know if that should be in snooker?

It's sad that players are abusing the miss rule, given your players aren't at pro standard. It's this sort of 'competitive' nonsense that turns players off league snooker.
                            Last edited by Big Splash!; 30 September 2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Our league dos not play Foul and miss rule at all . As long as you make a decent attempt you lose 4 and the player has the option to make you play again or not .

In the two yeas I've played in the league I've yet to witness anyone not make a genuine attempt to hit the ball on .

Comment

We play tournaments by 3 miss rule currently, but no ball in hand in D. We changed back and forth between no miss calling to miss calling several times over the years. Nothing changed. Pecking order stayed the same.
                                When I lose a frame by opponents good fortune rather by good play, I no longer panic and despair...at least not all the time
                                The thing is, I should have been ahead by more than 27 points when we got to colours only stage. Besides, sooner or later I'm going to fluke a snooker too. That attitude helped me.

Comment

Working...
                                X