Confidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence

We can talk all we like about technique but we've all known those moments when everything comes right, we can pot a ball from anywhere on the board and position ourselves exactly for the next ball... And we give not one moment's thought about technique. It's called confidence. So here's the thing:

Why does this precious commodity appear and disappear so randomly? Try as I might I can find no method of summoning it when it's most needed and no way of getting it back when it all too quickly disappears. Sometimes it seems to come because I'm angry and sometimes because I'm calm. Other times it eludes me precisely because I'm angry or I'm calm. What's going on? Why can't I control this most precious resource?

Tell me about it. I wasn't confident I could pot a single ball tonight when I played.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

This is what I do to boost my confidence down at the club.

First, I put on my white suit.

Looks like a million bucks!

Then the ladies arrive.

Kirk Stevens pic.jpg

Then we arrive!

Also best to get the ladies to hand out the signed photos before you play.

Works a treat
      Last edited by mythman69; 15 November 2014, 12:57 AM.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Got to be confident to wear that suit for sure - might be something in it though I mean look at the swagger on this guy.

Comment

I think, the more you practice, the more confident you get. There are many players ( NOT all of them ), who have not much -confidence, just because they are not sure about their technique and especially their consistently. The other thing is, the mentality of the player. !!!! There are some players that naturely are mentally strong and can perform better under pressure. according to some people (coaches), you must not think and play as the game does'nt mean anything to you !!!!! ( good advice ) !!! . but I do believe , that is easier said than done. Everyone suffers from pressure during the match and struggles to get more-confidence !!!! Is the question of how to deal with it !!!! ( IMHO ).

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
            We can talk all we like about technique but we've all known those moments when everything comes right, we can pot a ball from anywhere on the board and position ourselves exactly for the next ball... And we give not one moment's thought about technique. It's called confidence. So here's the thing:

Why does this precious commodity appear and disappear so randomly? Try as I might I can find no method of summoning it when it's most needed and no way of getting it back when it all too quickly disappears. Sometimes it seems to come because I'm angry and sometimes because I'm calm. Other times it eludes me precisely because I'm angry or I'm calm. What's going on? Why can't I control this most precious resource?
            Because we are only HUMAN end of story !

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              Got to be confident to wear that suit for sure - might be something in it though I mean look at the swagger on this guy.

Might you say personally think this is the way forward

Comment

There will be no happy ending to that scenario
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Well, just to add oil to the fire, I read the following somewhere, forgot if it was a quote or some post:

"Confidence is something that when you have it, you never think that it would go away, but when you don't have it, you think that it will never come back."

One for the thinkers
                  John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Confidence comes from potting balls and winning etc. As we are only human then potting and winning goes up and down. This means our confidence also goes up and down. The trick is to place your confidence in a constant rather than a variable. Whatever the circumstances you can always TRY your best and you should place your confidence in knowing this.
                    coaching is not just for the pros
                    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
                      Confidence comes from potting balls and winning etc. As we are only human then potting and winning goes up and down. This means our confidence also goes up and down. The trick is to place your confidence in a constant rather than a variable. Whatever the circumstances you can always TRY your best and you should place your confidence in knowing this.
                      For me just about the perfect answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        For me just about the perfect answer.
                        Shame I think you'd suit the white suit

Comment

Shame I think you'd suit the white suit
                          Maybe thirty years ago lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X