Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spliceless cues?

Hey guys,

Posting partly out of curiosity, partly because I'm thinking about getting a Peradon Classic soon. The Classic has no splices; it's plain ash from tip to butt with a single front veneer of bubinga. My question is, will it play any differently to a regular ebony or rosewood spliced cue?

Thanks,
    Joe

I had a craftsman 'sin bin' type all ash cue which cost me £17 which I was potting off the lightshades with.
    Only thing I found was that ash isn't a very durable material for the butt of the cue as it kept getting knocks and roughing up from being handled so I kept having to refinish it.
    I sent it to Jim Evans to butt me a butt on for that reason, but it did and still does play very nicely!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

of course it will it will also play differently from a cue that looks the same

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
        of course it will it will also play differently from a cue that looks the same
        But will the balance be negatively affected by the fact it has no splices?

By the way, I'm aware that it's a centre-jointed cue and that most prefer 3/4 or one piece, but I quite like the balance and practicality of a centre-jointed cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
          I had a craftsman 'sin bin' type all ash cue which cost me £17 which I was potting off the lightshades with.
          Only thing I found was that ash isn't a very durable material for the butt of the cue as it kept getting knocks and roughing up from being handled so I kept having to refinish it.
          I sent it to Jim Evans to butt me a butt on for that reason, but it did and still does play very nicely!
          Do you feel the balance/feel was affected by the addition of splices?

Comment

Apprenti,

A cue spliced with ebony, snakewood, rosewoods or nothing is not catagorically going to play like anything in particular. They can be, will be and are all variable in playability terms, just as a cue with no splices can be. The weighting will be done to ensure the cue has adequate weight to play snooker, and as long as the shaft is strong enough, it's likely to play every bit as well as anything else.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
              Apprenti,

A cue spliced with ebony, snakewood, rosewoods or nothing is not catagorically going to play like anything in particular. They can be, will be and are all variable in playability terms, just as a cue with no splices can be. The weighting will be done to ensure the cue has adequate weight to play snooker, and as long as the shaft is strong enough, it's likely to play every bit as well as anything else.
              been a while since we agreed on anything mate! see you in sheffield maybe
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                been a while since we agreed on anything mate! see you in sheffield maybe
                Andrew , if you met him there in Sheffield . maybe you can give him a few beers (my treat) and do a good word for me !!!!!! as you already know, looking for a TW classic model for a while !!!! you never know !!!! maybe he says; yes , No problem !!!!

Comment

Gis a shout if your meeting up ile come and have a drink with you.

Comment

i have a spliceless cue, it has a great shaft but I don't like the feel of the butt, so I will be getting prices to have any ebony butt with Ronnie style splices, along with a little retaper. Just hope it doesn't ruin the feel of the cue.
                    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Will probably need reweighting as ebony is much denser and heavier than ash...

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                        i have a spliceless cue, it has a great shaft but I don't like the feel of the butt, so I will be getting prices to have any ebony butt with Ronnie style splices, along with a little retaper. Just hope it doesn't ruin the feel of the cue.
                        Does it have a front splice? The classic has a front splice, so I'm wondering whether it would feel ok because of that.

Comment

Originally Posted by Apprenti View Post
                          Does it have a front splice? The classic has a front splice, so I'm wondering whether it would feel ok because of that.
                          Yes just a small ebony front splice, but it is an old'ish cue so the ash grain is quite pronounced. Its perfectly usable but just something I cant get 100% used to.

Comment

think theres a couple of cue doctors on here from your area.

Comment

yeah I got prices from a couple very local :-) but one was nearly the price of the new cue which I also had on order so I decided to wait for my new one instead...

but the grass isn't always greener...

Comment

Working...
                              X