No announcement yet.

Rex Williams Original cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 were made, I think Rex's brother was involved I don't know if he crafted the cues or was partner in the company. The RW Original was available in 1 or 2 piece and also different weights which was strange because it was supposed to be a replica of Rex's own cue which was special because of the age and quality of the wood and also the taper. The shaft is quite thick until it reaches the tip and this gives it extra power and less flex. It had an oiled finish no lacquer.

My brother's mate had a PG 'custom built' cue that was also very nice and he specified it to have no flat on a wider butt so there was no badge.

Maybe I got my dates wrong because the attachment (for number 444) is from 1990 Pot Black magazine but it was definitely £150. Tony Jones pro tried it first maybe he didn't like the length he was used to a very short cue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by limecc; 23 November 2014, 01:02 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

thanks so much for that limecc i have got a few cues but this powerglide Original cue is the best playing cue that ive got i know what you mean by the shaft is quite thick until it reaches the tip and this gives it extra power and less flex.

Comment

It's not just the taper though the wood is so lively! I found this when testing the custom-built I mentioned. The Purist was an absolute bargain, hand spliced, I found a variance in the power and travelled miles to places where they were stocked trying to find the right one. In those days Snooker Centres would let you try-before-you-buy. RW Original was a rare cue so I was fortunate to come across it, I don't know how anyone can spend £K's on say a John Parris without trying first.

I found a great combination using a Kamui Black on this cue. I'd love to get a MW Blackspin ferrule on it but cannot bring myself to entrust it to any courier it's too valuable to me to risk anything going wrong.

Comment

i will have ago with them Kamui Black are they soft and are they expensive

Comment

They are medium-hard. I played for years with softest Elk, constantly reshaping etc never thought of changing until I found this forum. I tried Phoenix laminated for a while which converted me but it didn't take my Triangle chalk so off it came and I tried the Kamui which is the best so far. I think the extra hardness allows the power inherent in quality wood to transmit through, don't know how to describe it but it just feels so so good.

I am currently trying Masters chalk which I found takes to tip better (but also cue-ball). I was surprised to find a recent post praising Masters chalk and Kamui combination so I feel a little better admitting to using it. Apparently good for Ronnie too.

Some might argue that this cue is wasted on me maybe they are right, but it's like comparing cheap heavy Chinese mountain bike to top-of-range Specialized or Santa Cruz. The latter feel just so good to ride. Maybe someone else could blow me away on a cheap bike but who cares it's the experience and feel of quality that makes the sacrifice to buy worthwhile. I knew when I purchased it was a once in a lifetime buy.

This is maybe off-topic but I believe you have a certain price point with a cue and after that it's just pot-luck (ahem) if a cue costing several £kk's is any better. I doubt there is much choose between JP, TW, MW cues in terms of craftsmanship it's all down to the X-factor of the wood. The kudos associated with the brand is the main factor for some.

For a challenge (and a laugh I had too much free time) I once made a cue out of a broom handle I got out of the stores at work. I planed it to a tapered square, then octagon, then to round. It was as straight as a die a little oval in places. I spliced a darker colour wood on the butt, drilled it and melted my own weights. It was surprisingly responsive! Pot luck it turned out better to play than a Cue Craft cue my brother had :-)

Comment

The kudos associated with the brand is the main factor for some
              I would say for most to be honest

Comment

Working...
              X