My New BCE Westbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
    In Canada and the USA table fitters use the method they have been trained by previous table fitters .

In a country where most tables are modelled on Brunswick American pool tables and not this pro steel block BCE Westbury modern snooker table , they use the method of fixing cloth the same way as they would on an American pool table , unaware that a napped cloth will require re-stretching and American pool cloth will not .
    so 5/8th tacks in the bed cloth fixing linings with around 1/8th of the head showing for ease of removing by flipping out with flat blade screwdriver is not used , I can remove one of my fitted bed cloths in under 5 minutes , it would take a considerable amount of time to take a stapled bed cloth off digging out those driven in staples which are normally 8 to 10 mm long .
    In Canada , if some UK trained fitters moved over there say 40 to 50 years ago , then by now most Billiard table installs would have tacked cloth on .
    as those fitters would have passed on their skills of fitting Billiard tables to the Canadian born apprentices .

the one thing I cannot get round though is why glue the cloth on those steel cushions , when there is a cushion slip channel for a wood slip to tap in to secure the cloth

even in the UK we have fitters who only use the channel up to the wood end blocks then staple the cloth to the top of the end blocks , this is also wrong as the channel is designed for the cloth to be retained by a slip of wood on the entire length of the cushion

and I have also come across some tables that have had glued on cloth on the back of those steels as seen from the photo's of the steel blocks on this table .

But at the end of the day on this table the cloth is secured to the top rear of the cushion by contact adhesive and it is then stapled to the lower block , once the cushion frieze is bolted in place no one is the wiser and the same can be said for the bed cloth being stapled on
    in the UK we would frown upon this type of fitting , but in Canada it is the norm .

It is just the way they have been trained to do the work .

I am sure some of the ways our fitters over here including myself , go about recovering an American pool table , the fitters of North America would point out that is not the way .

We are formerly trained on billiard table fitting , north American fitters are formerly trained on American Brunswick type Pool table fitting and stapling the bed cloth on is the norm over there .

just one fault I can see Les , in the photo the end of the slide in cushion panel on number 3 cushion is not stained and polished , a simple fix for you . other wise looking all good .
    Now that was not very nice Geoff. You cut up our Canadian table fitters and never mentioned a thing about my table... after all you put a lot of your professional input into the refurbishing of my table.
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
      Now that was not very nice Geoff. You cut up our Canadian table fitters and never mentioned a thing about my table... after all you put a lot of your professional input into the refurbishing of my table.
      Well he impressed me with that knowledge - I would certainly consider a perfectionist like this to fit my table - when I am lucky enough.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
        Well he impressed me with that knowledge - I would certainly consider a perfectionist like this to fit my table - when I am lucky enough.
        Both of my last two tables I have gone to Geoff for his expertise. He always has an answer.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          There are plenty of table fitters with exceptional knowledge out there

Comment

• From all the photo's sent to me by Canadian fitting from different posters on here all Bed cloths have been put on by staple fixing
            From our UK point of view this is unacceptable , but from a north American point of view it is the norm
            I have not ripped Canadian fitters apart , I am just stating a fact that all UK Fully time served Billiards fitters would have picked up on had they seen the photo's .
            The covering of steel block cushions with cloth using contact adhesive on the back when there is a slot for a plane down slip , screams to me that the fitters just cannot be bothered to fit it the way Burroughs and watts designed that cushion way back in 1885
            I am afraid that part is a bit of speed work ,
            the staple on bed cloth I put down from the way they fit American Brunswick bed cloths .
            Now it may work for them but we would not do this in the UK although I have come across it once on a strip down .
            to hand plane a slip down to fit the slot takes approx. 5 minutes per cushion , spraying contact glue to the back of the cushion and to the rear of the cloth takes 30 seconds .

If at the end of the day the table plays good with no loose cloth then you have nothing to worry about .

I just had to give my professional Billiard fitters view on the way the cloth had been fitted when someone else had spotted the staples and glue on cushion cloth , I did spot it straight away , but was waiting for someone to say something before I added my opinion .
            I do not think the fitters are Cowboys it is just the way they have picked the job up or have been trained to do it this way in the past .
            I am sure if they came over here and where shown the correct way they would adjust the way they do this type of fitting to come in line with the more traditional approach of a time served Billiards fitter would do .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

• Excellent read and great thread. You can't beat owning your own table. Lesedwards I see you are from Canada! Did you import that table in from the UK?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
                Excellent read and great thread. You can't beat owning your own table. Lesedwards I see you are from Canada! Did you import that table in from the UK?
                No I bought it from Od's Billiards, who knows when it actually came over here. It was in rough shape when I first went to see it in a storage container but I had a vision and had to have it. I brought it back to life in show room condition. What a great table.

Comment

• none the less les, it is a great looking table. hope your break continue to go up, and maybe we see a century in your signature .

Comment

• Les, are you playing better on the BCE?

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Les, are you playing better on the BCE?

Terry
                      Well let's put it this way. We played at Strokers today and I took Petar Djorvic. 4-3 then lost my next match 4-1. I think I was so excited about winning my first ever match that I lost focus on my second match. I really have only had a few hours on my table this week and already getting some confidence back. I will be tuning into your game play well. I know you have it in you to win. Go get him.

Comment

• les how does the table feel to your last one, are you practicing more and do you feel more confident on that table

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                          les how does the table feel to your last one, are you practicing more and do you feel more confident on that table
                          Totally different. I now feel that if I put one in the pocket it will stay there instead of rattling. It was like I was on pin and needles trying to make a shot because I knew if I did not catch the whole pocket it would rattle. As I start to slow down with the housing I will get more practice in. Next qualifier is in two weeks.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                            Well let's put it this way. We played at Strokers today and I took Petar Djorvic. 4-3 then lost my next match 4-1. I think I was so excited about winning my first ever match that I lost focus on my second match. I really have only had a few hours on my table this week and already getting some confidence back. I will be tuning into your game play well. I know you have it in you to win. Go get him.
                            You did not tell poor old Petar Djorvic that was the first game you have ever won did you? Nothing worse than loosing to someone who tells you its the first match they have won all season

Well done though -

Comment

• U
                              Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              You did not tell poor old Petar Djorvic that was the first game you have ever won did you? Nothing worse than loosing to someone who tells you its the first match they have won all season

Well done though -
                              LOL The funny thing is a month ago we played at the same venue and I drew Petar that time also and he beat me 4 -0. So to answer your question YES the minute we finished I told him that was my first win.....LOL I cannot wait to free up some time to get more practice in. I find the best practice for me is Black off the spot from lots of angles, Pink off the spots from lots of angles and then scattering 6 reds in the black end and try and clear the Reds up with Blue, Pink or Black

Comment

• Les how's it all going with your practice on the new table? Is your confidence back in shape?

Comment

Working...
                                X