No announcement yet.

bedding in a new tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I bought the tip clamp I used to go to my local pub - which was a quite popular pool venue - I would then offer to re tip all the rack cues for the landlord who would in turn get me a few pints - then I would go back a month or three later take em off and re do em get another few pints and keep the tips which had now been firmly knocked in.

Comment

Perfect, thanks

Smee

Comment

If after 3 or 4 frames you are not happy change it. Like the guys say, some are to soft and dont get harder and play well no matter how long you wait.
        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Buy a Box of 50 genuine Elks and go through them putting your thumb nail into the side of them as hard as you can. If it leaves a mark in the Tip it is most likely to soft and will mushroom and fall out of shape when fitted and played with.

Get rid of these ones and keep the good ones that do not mark with a firm thumbnail impression as they will be ideal. The latest Box of Elks i bought i went through all 50 of them and had 14 that were to soft and not suitable for fitting which i threw in the bin, the rest are fine though and will do me for ages. very little embedding will be needed after you fit a good one and i would be confident in saying no more than 2 frames at most and a quick re shape if needed and you are good to go for a fair while after that.
          If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            Clamp it in a tip vice first before you put it on - job done
            x2 .

Comment

Thats great thanks - might explain why you see Ronnie O'Sullivan (who does it more than most) constantly pressing and picking at the tip with his finger nail - he must be particuarly sensitive to the feel of the cue tip when playing

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Before I bought the tip clamp I used to go to my local pub - which was a quite popular pool venue - I would then offer to re tip all the rack cues for the landlord who would in turn get me a few pints - then I would go back a month or three later take em off and re do em get another few pints and keep the tips which had now been firmly knocked in.
                Crafty, love it!

Comment

I think it was John Parrott who said in one of the BBC pundit sessions that he used to go to the local pubs and break of the tips from the cues there for the same reason... Byrom - at least you are honest about it
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I use ELK, I take the tip down to where I want it then tap the cue on a tile floor until it is completely compressed. I then make the tip the same size as the feral, not mushroom. I find the tip plays well in all situations.

Comment

Working...
                    X