Hello from Pakistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Pakistan!

Hello everyone and nice to meet you all! Newbie here, 19, M, been addicted to snooker since about Feb and played 8 ball for a few months before that. I have a quick question to ask and I apologize if this isn't the proper forum but this has been irking me for 25 minutes now for no reason... Does it make any difference on what size table you play? I play regularly on a 6x12 table in a club near my house. Today I went to another club to play with a friend. There I had a slightly better pot rate than normal and was very happy with myself until the friend said the table's a 5x10. I really love the game and want to improve so I was wondering if it's detrimental to your game on a 6x12 table if you start playing on a 5x10? I apologize again if this question doesn't make sense but it really has been irking me!

Hello and welcome

I would imagine playing on a 5x10 table is a completely different ballgame to playing on 6x12.
    Just start directly on 6x12 rather than becoming good on 5x10 and then having to almost start from scratch on the bigger table

Comment

I imagine many players started on a 6x3 table at home and then as they got older played on full size tables. The risk is you may pick up bad habits or might have to adjust slightly when potting balls at half ball. Given the choice, I agree you should just stick to full size.

Comment

Originally Posted by strike101 View Post
        Hello and welcome

I would imagine playing on a 5x10 table is a completely different ballgame to playing on 6x12.
        Just start directly on 6x12 rather than becoming good on 5x10 and then having to almost start from scratch on the bigger table
        Thank you! Well, yes, it feels rather different and a part of me is tempted to keep playing on it just for the pots but I want to get better at the game so I'll stick to the bigger one.

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
        I imagine many players started on a 6x3 table at home and then as they got older played on full size tables. The risk is you may pick up bad habits or might have to adjust slightly when potting balls at half ball. Given the choice, I agree you should just stick to full size.
        Hmm agreed, I have yet to control my urge to play fast from when I played pool (just love the sound of the ball hitting the back of the pocket hard lol). I'll stick to playing on the full size for now, thanks for the help!

Comment

It's ok to learn the game of snooker on the 10x5 for a while but don't stick to it for too long. Moving from pool to snooker is a big side step - so you need to learn the tactics and differences in ball size/weight, cushions etc. Some of this may be easier to begin with on the 10x5, but move forward onto full size after a few months before bad habits become embedded.

Comment

Hmm that could work too. Would it be better if I alternate between the two? play on the smaller a few days then the full size?

Comment

Originally Posted by IPotWhites View Post
              Hello everyone and nice to meet you all! Newbie here, 19, M, been addicted to snooker since about Feb and played 8 ball for a few months before that. I have a quick question to ask and I apologize if this isn't the proper forum but this has been irking me for 25 minutes now for no reason... Does it make any difference on what size table you play? I play regularly on a 6x12 table in a club near my house. Today I went to another club to play with a friend. There I had a slightly better pot rate than normal and was very happy with myself until the friend said the table's a 5x10. I really love the game and want to improve so I was wondering if it's detrimental to your game on a 6x12 table if you start playing on a 5x10? I apologize again if this question doesn't make sense but it really has been irking me!
              I have had a ten foot steel block table. Interestingly, it can improve your game (cue ball control) With less area and using 15 reds, your positional play becomes even more critical. Otherwise, play is pretty much the same. Regardless of what size table you play on? Technique is going to improve.
              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
                I have had a ten foot steel block table. Interestingly, it can improve your game (cue ball control) With less area and using 15 reds, your positional play becomes even more critical. Otherwise, play is pretty much the same. Regardless of what size table you play on? Technique is going to improve.
                Nice! That is reassuring to hear. So the gist of it is that, at the very least, playing on a 5x10 won't adversely affect my game on the full size unless I play for a long period of time on it. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally Posted by IPotWhites View Post
                  Nice! That is reassuring to hear. So the gist of it is that, at the very least, playing on a 5x10 won't adversely affect my game on the full size unless I play for a long period of time on it. Thanks for the help!
                  Playing on any table, is gonna improve you. Curiously, my highest break (87) is on a 12 footer. Best ever on the ten was 66 (less room for error. I found it easier playing on a 12x6 I certainly believe playing for many years on a ten foot table improved cue ball control. After all, as you improve the majority of action takes place in the last third of the table. Playing lots of soft stun, run and screw shots over short distances. No matter what you play on - ENJOY.
                  Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
                    Playing on any table, is gonna improve you. Curiously, my highest break (87) is on a 12 footer. Best ever on the ten was 66 (less room for error. I found it easier playing on a 12x6 I certainly believe playing for many years on a ten foot table improved cue ball control. After all, as you improve the majority of action takes place in the last third of the table. Playing lots of soft stun, run and screw shots over short distances. No matter what you play on - ENJOY.
                    Noted, especially the last bit. Thanks again for the help, man. I've been avoiding playing on smaller tables for a while thinking it would limit my progress but your reply is really assuring. Will try my hand on the ten again soon, cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X