is snooker dying out in uk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by kent mitchell View Post
    Yes it's a shame to say but the number of clubs that have closed is freighting in recent years but that's the same for the pub's as well as snooker club's I personally think social media the tv programs that are on tv and just a change of culture is all playing it's part in it. It's not cool anymore to play snooker they would rather hit the gym or spend hours watching there news feed on Facebook in case Tracy decides if she is having chicken tikka or chicken masala for her tea...THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD (social media god theres nothing more anti social then sitting on your phone all day not even speaking to anyone.
    We had social media when we were young, it was called going outside. The mobile phone is the curse of modern living, everywhere you go people are staring at screens because you can do whatever you want on your phone, there's an ap for this and an ap for that, play games on it, place bets on it, buy goods on it, switch this and that on it, but the fact is you're not really doing anything but switching off your brain and vegetating.

Every league match I've played and refereed this season I've had to ask someone to turn off their phone and they look at me like I've asked them to stop breathing.

I saw an Outer Limits episode on tv a long time ago now where everyone in society wasn't educated but were logged in to the social computer via an implant in their brain and simply accessed any information they wanted so rarely talked to each other.
    One person couldn't do this due to a malformation and had to be educated normally and he was seen as an outcast, yet when the central computer went tits up he was the only person who actually knew anything. I think we're getting there very fast, all the phones come out in the works canteen now, very few conversations take place and opinions are usually someone else's.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• I have suggested, in the past, that everybody active on the forum should undertake to take at least one non player to a club and give him/her a session as a try out.
      王可

Comment

• Here's a slogan for you.

It's not for the customer to go and find a club, it's for the club to go and find its customers!

Most of these older clubs that are still in the 1980s with the game know jack about how to market a business in the 21st century!

I know because I play in one of the 1980s old style ones...!
        Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
          Here's a slogan for you.

It's not for the customer to go and find a club, it's for the club to go and find its customers!

Most of these older clubs that are still in the 1980s with the game know jack about how to market a business in the 21st century!

I know because I play in one of the 1980s old style ones...!
          Unfortunately this is true...
          Snooker has failed to adapt to the 21st century digital age.
          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019
          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            Idleness. Not having to shave every day is great. And who sharpens a pencil with a Stanley knife?
            Grizzly Adams
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Working...
            X