No announcement yet.

Snooker Cue Shaft Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone used tulipwood/poplar recently? i've read it can be a little soft?
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I read on forum posts that Colin(Ninja Cues London) currently plays with a beech wood shafted cue and plays well.
      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

That is really interesting. What type of wood are brush shafts made from?

Comment

Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
          That is really interesting. What type of wood are brush shafts made from?
          In these days the brush shafts were made of very solid ash, I worked in the mining industry and just before the big strike I gathered in loads and went from there.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            Did any go to good players? Nice to think there's someone out there making tons with a broomstick.
            They all went to local pool players, every match I used to take a different one and almost always that night somebody took it.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
              They all went to local pool players, every match I used to take a different one and almost always that night somebody took it.
              And are they still on the go today?

Comment

And are they still on the go today?
                I see an odd one now and again I don't say to the owner as they are pretty poor but at least they got used.

Comment

I see an odd one now and again I don't say to the owner as they are pretty poor but at least they got used.
                  Did you simply plane a taper to the shaft and stick a tip on? Or, did you actually splice a butt to the shaft, fit a ferrule and a tip? I would love to see some photos of them.

Comment

Did you simply plane a taper to the shaft and stick a tip on? Or, did you actually splice a butt to the shaft, fit a ferrule and a tip? I would love to see some photos of them.
                    No they were proper cues spliced weighted etc.

Comment

No they were proper cues spliced weighted etc.
                      Excellent. Do you still make cues today?

Comment

Excellent. Do you still make cues today?
                        I was retired but do an odd one to keep me busy.

Comment

I was talking to Martin Daly (Tyrone Cues) before Christmas and he was talking about a Cherry shafted cue - He reckoned in between Pear and Maple in terms of stiffness.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                            I was talking to Martin Daly (Tyrone Cues) before Christmas and he was talking about a Cherry shafted cue - He reckoned in between Pear and Maple in terms of stiffness.
                            i have a cherry tree in my garden that does my head in, make me an offer martin
                            http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Yes I've made a cue with a Beech shaft and was looking to make a cherry and Oak one soon.
                              Martin best me too the cherry shaft and sold a friend a an old oak one which he still has.
                              Tulipwood/poplar would be to soft for a shaft.
                              For that one you've always wanted...
                              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Awesome answers guys. I would love to see some photos of cues that have been made with these 'alternative' woods.

Comment

Working...
                                X