No announcement yet.

Using screw spin affects potting angle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using screw spin affects potting angle.

I am convinced that adding screw spin causes me to almost always miss an angled pot thin. Always thin. If I attempt the pot with stun, or topspin I will pot the ball, or miss it thick. Simple question, is this a flawed stroke? Or is the backspin on the cue ball affecting the object ball?

I've heard some of the commentators say that as well, that screwing the ball makes the shot harder. Not really sure why that would be unless it changes the direction of the white to some degree.

Comment

Originally Posted by Molsonmuscle View Post
      I am convinced that adding screw spin causes me to almost always miss an angled pot thin. Always thin. If I attempt the pot with stun, or topspin I will pot the ball, or miss it thick. Simple question, is this a flawed stroke? Or is the backspin on the cue ball affecting the object ball?
      i think its to do with delivery tbh. i always aim the same line if im playing centre ball regardless of cue ball height

Comment

Maybe deflection\spin bites more with screw?

Comment

A screw shot essentially makes the white skid along the baize as its rolling in reverse until the spin wears off and it starts to roll forwards. Possible i suppose when its skidding along there might be an element of the white going off line slightly?

Comment

Not so sure about line, or else the drag shot wouldn't be so common?

Comment

the cueball throws < I can say that since Mr BS isn't here anymore off line more when combined with backspin. No idea why, but when you play a swerve shot, do you ever play it with top and side?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                the cueball throws < I can say that since Mr BS isn't here anymore off line more when combined with backspin. No idea why, but when you play a swerve shot, do you ever play it with top and side?
                i dont know, i think any throw would be due to elements of side. i couldnt imagine 'complete' center striking will cause any side to side deflection. at least thats how i see it in my head haha

Comment

Maybe the spin of the CB means less friction on OB hence thinning the angle due to less friction?

Not totally relevant for this, but more the long one from a while back by Barry Stark (possibly the best of his that I have watched) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WYW1hQjYM

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                    i dont know, i think any throw would be due to elements of side. i couldnt imagine 'complete' center striking will cause any side to side deflection. at least thats how i see it in my head haha
                    Yeah, maybe I didn't make myself clear. You may get away with not quite hitting centre of the white more using topspin as the throw is less, so if you play with screw and don't quite hit the centre the white throws off line more, also you usually hit it harder, which also makes it throw off line more.

So basically it's a touch of unwanted side.

Comment

look up cut induced throw.

Comment

This is excellent! Exactly the type of answers I was looking for. Thanks all.

Comment

I've thought for a while that using screw can affect the angle of the pot but if you hit the cueball straight it should be fine?

I play on some tables in the league and they can have a heavy nap and it is certainly apparent more there.

Even if you hit centre ball across the nap at an angle from a reasonable distance the nap isn't perfectly against or with the line of your shot so it must affect the angle as some of the grip of the ball has to be across the line as the nap points that way.

obviously on super fine and match cloths the affect must be minimal, just my take on it.
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I think it's just more difficult to hit centre ball when playing with screw perhaps?
                            One shot i'm particularly strong/confident with is the drag shot usually when playing into the middles and across the nap. Not sure why but it's maybe a shot that suits my action and I find playing with drag actually allows me to
                            control the cueball's path very well.
                            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I suspect this is caused by getting unintentional side on a more powerful shot. It may not be a lot but it will effect the path of the CB a little bit. I too use drag and haven't noticed myself aiming thicker or thinner at all and I use drag over an 11ft shot sometimes.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X