Just an Introduction from a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an Introduction from a Newbie

Hello to everyone on the board. I am 50 yrs old and started playing snooker when I was in my teens. I gave the game up for about 20 years when I reached 30. I have recently started playing daily again and have totally fallen in love with the game again. Being from Canada, there are not a lot of snooker tables where I live and not many players. I'm thankful for Youtube so I can watch snooker every evening.
    As odd as this seems, I think that I am a better snooker player now than when I was younger. About 2 months ago I ran my highest break in practise which was a table clearance of 135. Sadly I have not broken a century since, but I do manage to break 50 at least twice per day in my daily practice. Ok that about sums me up. Thanks for a place to hang out online and rub shoulders with others like myself.

Nice intro , and very nice break . Good standard you play at as well .

Put up your location in Canada and there might be some TSF members who live near you .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I live in Thunder Bay

Comment

Hello potterwins...I am the President of the OBSA (Ontario Billiards & Snooker Assoc) however we have never had any contact with any players from Thunder Bay and we thought there were likely no tables or players out there. I think you are lumped in with Winnipeg as far as qualification for the Canadian Champs. In the Toronto/Kitchener area we hold up to 10 ranking tourneys per season which allow a player to compete in the Ontario Champs (being held April 1/2 at the Corner Bank in Toronto). We have 51 players registered so far. With your skill level you could easily compete in any of our tournaments. We concentrate on the Southern Ontario area and the Thunder Bay players are sort of lost cousins since the travel would just not make sense. We do get players from Sudbury/North Bay. Ottawa, London and Kingston but sadly none from Windsor, Sault St Marie and other cities.

We are always interested in attracting new members although our 2016/17 season is finished as our last tourney was this past weekend in Burlington. If you want to check things out for Ontario go to 'ontariosnooker.club' and for Canada and the Canadian Champs go to 'cbsa.ca' and all the news will be on those 2 sites.

How many tables do you figure are in Thunder Bay? Would any of the clubs have more than 6 snooker tables?

Terry
        Last edited by Terry Davidson; 22 March 2017, 01:50 PM.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Potterwins

Isn't it funny how many of us have come back to the game we love after a 20-30 year break?
          They do say life begins at 40... :snooker:
          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019
          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

How many tables in Thunder Bay

Hey Terry
            We have exactly 4 publicly available snooker tables in Thunder Bay. I have managed to source out a few private tables as well, but sadly we are down to 4 tables and the quality of playability on 3 of them is questionable. I'd love to consider playing in Southern Ontario. How can I make that happen?

Mark

Comment

To play in the Southern Ontario area as long as you're good with the travel/hotel expenses is simple. As an Ontario resident you can join the OBSA-OSC (Ontario Snooker Club) at your first tournament. The membership fee is $25 per season and you would pay that along with your $40 entry fee at your first tournament. Unfortunately our season is over but had you played in just one ranking tournament you would have been eligible to play in the Ontario Championships on April 1/2 with big prize money. Monitor website 'ontariosnooker.club' for next season's dates and if you're on Facebook then 'friend' The Corner Bank and John White and also Les Edwards who posts all our news on FB.

There is another organization called Snooker Canada which holds as many tournaments as we do and maybe more. They are a national organization rather than provincial and their tournaments are to qualify for their big tournament every season, The Richler Cup. He sometimes limits the number of players to 16 and he holds tournaments all across the country but I don't believe he has done Winnipeg. The President is a gent named Patrick Guigui (pronounced geegee) and the website is 'snooker canada'. I believe their season is almost over too as the Richler Cup is coming up in May I think.

Originally Posted by potterwins View Post
              Hey Terry
              We have exactly 4 publicly available snooker tables in Thunder Bay. I have managed to source out a few private tables as well, but sadly we are down to 4 tables and the quality of playability on 3 of them is questionable. I'd love to consider playing in Southern Ontario. How can I make that happen?

Mark
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Nice one Terry , thanks very much for putting that up .

Hopefully will be very helpful to him .
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Awesome thanks for you help Terry!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X