best cue you ever owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Thats the thing about cues, people THINK they know whats ideal for them but something else could suit even better. But if you get something thats slightly off it can play on your mind.

A round butt to a butt with a flat isn't much of a change really, most of the time people hold the cue enough up the butt so the flat isn't a factor anyway.
    This is my problem now...
    I've change my grip recently, more backward to the end & the flat now really give me a strange feeling !

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Thats the thing about cues, people THINK they know whats ideal for them but something else could suit even better. But if you get something thats slightly off it can play on your mind.

A round butt to a butt with a flat isn't much of a change really, most of the time people hold the cue enough up the butt so the flat isn't a factor anyway.
      I'm actually not bothered about flat or round-butt i just fancied it haha. In terms of the cue, the round butt had nothing to do with the reason i sold it. i just didnt really like it. whilst trevor's work is very good, aside from not getting on with that cue, i preferred how the first cue looked. Im very fussy with ebony and the first one was darker and more consistent compared to the second he made me. not faulting it but its more my pickiness than anything

Comment

First Cue - One piece Riley maple machine spliced bought from Inter Sports in Camberley.
        Second - Two piece BCE butterfly spliced ash brought from Argos. Top and bottom grain didn't match. Worst cue ever.
        Third - Burroughes and Watts Joseph Bennett one piece ash. Altered by Michael Dunham at Classic Custom Cues in 80s. Still got this one and had my only ever century with it .... missed brown on 104.
        Fourth - Burroughes and Watts Ash Georgian bought from Anthony Bridge in Ashby de la Zouch around 1986. Butt Joint was replaced by Mick Rees who done the Hunt & O'Byrne joints plus a centre joint as I had a mini and it didn't fit in. Will Hunt added a butt joint about ten years ago. It was refinished and a splice added last year by Richy McDonald as I started playing again, but traded in with John Brownlie for a 3/4 MAC Cue by Richy McDonald (I'll get to that)
        Fifth - One piece Ash MAC cue bought on Ebay. Great cue but too short for me.
        Sixth - The MAC 3/4 ash cue mentioned in Five above. Too thick and stiff for my liking but a great cue for somebody else.
        Seven - Jason Owen No 284 one piece ash. After a visit to see ADR147 a few months back I left him with the two MAC Cues in five and six above and struck a deal for No 284. Andrew was fantastic. Had loads of cues to try as you can imagine and this is the one that felt best for me amongst Exquisite, Trevor White, Maximus, Robin Cook, Glover, Stamford, Andy Travis and the like. I think we had about twenty out at one point. All fabulous cues that will be great for the right person. I thought I'd end up with a John Parris and I never expected to leave with a cue by Jason but hopefully it's the one.

Comment

Great insight Andy ........how you remember that i don't know !

I wouldn't have a clue where to start .

How did you know about Mick Rees ? Did you live local to him ?
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I've got a good memory full of pretty useless information Neil.
            I live in Scotland now but was in Bagshot and Lightwater till I was in my early twenties.
            I got Mick Rees' details from phoning Hunt & O'Byrne. It was probably Will Hunt that gave me Mick's No and said to contact him direct ... It was New Malden area from memory. Sadly I can even remember the journey home. I had a mini at the time but went in with my dad in his Toyota Minibus. We hit a Lurcher as we came off the M25 at Chertsey. Made a huge mess on the front on the Toyota but would probably have come through the windscreen if I'd been in the mini.
            Those joints were fantastic and must have been wound up an down thousands of times without any problem.
            I played in your area a few times ... I remember playing in Balham once, a David Lloyd Tennis Centre in Croydon and Frames in Coulsdon a few times. I never got far in competitions ... There's every chance you've beaten me at some point.
            Good memories of fun times.

Comment

Small world Andy , I used to play the monthly comp in Croydon . Stafford Road I think it was .

Mick played in the snooker league that I still play in , very good player and the first guy that I ever saw with 2 joints in a cue . Could never work out why that was though !

Mick still lives in Morden , used to get him to do my tips . Every time you went to his house there were 20 cues in his hallway that had been re tipped .
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I have found over the years that the best players for me have been made by TW and TP. I have two in particular, one from each maker, that I would never sell. Both are near identical specifications and were made to order. The TW is one piece ash and Macassar, the TP is a Black Bone.

Comment

Best cue I ever owned was a one piece Will Hunt Black Plate # 336. It was bought in 2002 new from Dave Johnston-Allen of Cheddar Classics at the World Championships at the Crucible by a friend of mine. He also bought a John Parris cue which he favoured, so he didn't play much with the Will Hunt, therefore it was in MINT condition.

I sold it 4 years ago. If I ever win the lottery I'll track down this cue and buy it back at any price.

Will Hunt Cue 1 024.jpgWill Hunt Cue 2 008.jpgWill Hunt Cue 2 014.jpg
                  The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

if this forum is anything to go by the best cue is always the next one

Comment

Originally Posted by Andy Tunaley View Post
                      First Cue - One piece Riley maple machine spliced bought from Inter Sports in Camberley.
                      Second - Two piece BCE butterfly spliced ash brought from Argos. Top and bottom grain didn't match. Worst cue ever.
                      Third - Burroughes and Watts Joseph Bennett one piece ash. Altered by Michael Dunham at Classic Custom Cues in 80s. Still got this one and had my only ever century with it .... missed brown on 104.
                      Fourth - Burroughes and Watts Ash Georgian bought from Anthony Bridge in Ashby de la Zouch around 1986. Butt Joint was replaced by Mick Rees who done the Hunt & O'Byrne joints plus a centre joint as I had a mini and it didn't fit in. Will Hunt added a butt joint about ten years ago. It was refinished and a splice added last year by Richy McDonald as I started playing again, but traded in with John Brownlie for a 3/4 MAC Cue by Richy McDonald (I'll get to that)
                      Fifth - One piece Ash MAC cue bought on Ebay. Great cue but too short for me.
                      Sixth - The MAC 3/4 ash cue mentioned in Five above. Too thick and stiff for my liking but a great cue for somebody else.
                      Seven - Jason Owen No 284 one piece ash. After a visit to see ADR147 a few months back I left him with the two MAC Cues in five and six above and struck a deal for No 284. Andrew was fantastic. Had loads of cues to try as you can imagine and this is the one that felt best for me amongst Exquisite, Trevor White, Maximus, Robin Cook, Glover, Stamford, Andy Travis and the like. I think we had about twenty out at one point. All fabulous cues that will be great for the right person. I thought I'd end up with a John Parris and I never expected to leave with a cue by Jason but hopefully it's the one.
                      Epic epilogue! I might have an epitaph something like this on my gravestone. Of course it would have to end with Jason's cue being the one and that I loved my family and was a good dad. Blah blah. ; )
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Best cue I ever owned is the one I have now....as Stephen Stills once put it " Love the one your'e with !"

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                          Best cue I ever owned was a one piece Will Hunt Black Plate # 336. It was bought in 2002 new from Dave Johnston-Allen of Cheddar Classics at the World Championships at the Crucible by a friend of mine. He also bought a John Parris cue which he favoured, so he didn't play much with the Will Hunt, therefore it was in MINT condition.

I sold it 4 years ago. If I ever win the lottery I'll track down this cue and buy it back at any price.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18706[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18707[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18708[/ATTACH]

Comment

Byrom,

A good 'blues" song would work as well. Thanks.
                            The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

As Cliff Richard also put it "Those miscue nights , they're the longest " ! Haha

Comment

Thirty years ago I bought a handmade John Paris Ultima cue. I still have it today in its Cheddar Classic case.

Comment

Working...
                                X