Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder hinge fix and parallel cueing advise(with videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder hinge fix and parallel cueing advise(with videos)

Guys,

Been thinking about post video for a while, finally sorted it out in youtube.

The question I want to ask today is why I could not cue parallel when the shoulder hinge(back deltoid) is locked.

I know I have a lot of other issues but above bothered me lately. Other problem I will open a new post with its video to talk about if needed.

From side view:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuH4U9kcEY

Q: 1. When get down to the shot, I sort of deliberately pressing armpit(or drop left hips whatever that feeling is). Is that height between cue and cushion too low ?
    2. I know I need to low elbow to keep final bit of parallel at long swing(while loosing the grip..), question is I don't know how... once I hinged the shoulder and got that socket locking feeling, I couldn't low elbow if I do I feel somewhat collapse of my shoulder would cause cueing not straight.

From back side:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuN_KBPZwvQ
    Q: I know my grip still needs a lot works. But is that tightness still the issue that caused shoulder 'join' in the shot ? From video I have to admit my timing is a bit stiff. I try to remind myself by hymning 'Start slow...and forget hand(to keep loose grip through the strike) but does it still look like a bit tightening occurred during the strike ?

A black/pink practice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFpgDGpEBk

Appreciate any thoughts or criticise.

Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
    Guys,

Been thinking about post video for a while, finally sorted it out in youtube.

The question I want to ask today is why I could not cue parallel when the shoulder hinge(back deltoid) is locked.

I know I have a lot of other issues but above bothered me lately. Other problem I will open a new post with its video to talk about if needed.

From side view:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuH4U9kcEY

Q: 1. When get down to the shot, I sort of deliberately pressing armpit(or drop left hips whatever that feeling is). Is that height between cue and cushion too low ?
    2. I know I need to low elbow to keep final bit of parallel at long swing(while loosing the grip..), question is I don't know how... once I hinged the shoulder and got that socket locking feeling, I couldn't low elbow if I do I feel somewhat collapse of my shoulder would cause cueing not straight.

Appreciate any thoughts or criticise.
    I would say a wider stance will solve the issue.
    Practise the stance with cue placed along the baulk line addressing tip to the centre of the yellow from the green side of the table and vice versa aiming at a ball placed on the table against the cushion, on the baulk line, so dead straight. Adjust right and left foot position to keep butt of the cue right on top of the baulk line and get down lower a tiny bit at a time until cue is about an inch above the cushion rail and the butt is still right on top of the baulk line with tip to centre of yellow/green.
    Your feet need only move an inch or two to enable this.

Without moving feet stand up and look at right foot position in relation to cue ball and then play a practise routine looking to place right foot in the same position in relation to cue ball for all your shots.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
      Practise the stance with cue placed along the baulk line addressing tip to the centre of the yellow from the green side of the table and vice versa aiming at a ball placed on the table against the cushion, on the baulk line, so dead straight. Adjust right and left foot position to keep butt of the cue right on top of the baulk line and get down lower a tiny bit at a time until cue is about an inch above the cushion rail and the butt is still right on top of the baulk line with tip to centre of yellow/green.

Without moving feet stand up and look at right foot position in relation to cue ball and then play a practise routine looking to place right foot in the same position in relation to cue ball for all your shots.
      Thanks Vmax. You are definitely right about the get down lower while maintaining the cue/cushion distance. In the past, I just tried very hard to lift shoulder in order to fix, actually forgot to drop straight down and coil hip from there. Obviously before i realised this, I had problem of leaning too forward and left arm not straight so not until I can feel that very low and stable feeling I already felt the aiming gone wrong and started twitch...

@vmax, Thanks a lot for the tips. I will have a try on baulk line to play with all foot settings to see how wider stance works for me.

Comment

Hi Howard,

I think whatever the fix is you have a solid foundation anyway which will help you to resolve your issues quicker than most people.
        Your stance (in my opinion) looks solid, there's not a lot of movement on the shot which is also a plus.

All in all a decent technique.

What standard are you at currently?
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
          Hi Howard,

I think whatever the fix is you have a solid foundation anyway which will help you to resolve your issues quicker than most people.
          Your stance (in my opinion) looks solid, there's not a lot of movement on the shot which is also a plus.

All in all a decent technique.

What standard are you at currently?
          Tommy, thanks for your words.

I think my standard still be around 20s, 30s in game, 50+ in practice. I used to hit a 94 years ago. Played 10 years on and off in the past. Pick up again with serious for almost 2 years now.
          Been working hard on stance lately, mainly 'Head straight drop down', which I think that contribute a lot to my stance stability, although it still being executed a bit textbox and not ingrained as my nature yet.

I've seen Paul Rinaldi for a coach session with a note of questions, to be honestly not much answered. Living in northeast I suppose you have to rely on self coaching a lot....

My timing and grip is still a issue, which I will work on and post more video to be looked at by Terry or you guys. It's good start to know I am not way off the right direct.

Comment

Hi Vmax,

Last two days, I've tried your advise and cue the ball on baulk line with much wider stance.
            Here is the video I tried to compare previous stance and wider stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXATBcr83tM&t=12s

I pointed in video , 1st was my previous one relative small distance between front foot and cueing foot. 2nd is the wider stance.
            What I tried to do in 2nd stance, is to feel the drop of left hip WHILE keep the cue there so right shoulder have hinged feeling, comparing to previously deliberately lifting the shoulder to feel the 'shoulder to back of head'. I do feel, with wider stance there is further room to 'get down' and coil the hip(or make chest stand ?) to feel the right shoulder up.

Does that look wide enough to you or need further front ? The 2nd stance is still within comfortable range at the moment.

Some wider stance pink and black practice
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejGhjN33aU

a line up with wider stance
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZHL...ature=youtu.be

Comment

The wider stance has put your cue more parallel so that's a bonus. How's your potting accuracy ? is it improved, worse or the same ?
              If improved then keep at it, if worse then go back to the baulk line practise and check the butt of your cue is bang on top of the baulk line.

I had a problem with always having a touch of right hand side on the cue ball and when I did the baulk line practise I found the butt of my cue was about 1/4 inch to the left of exact middle of the baulk line, so I shifted my right foot so that the outside edge of my heel was on the line of aim rather than my instep (foot pointing 45 degrees to the right of the line of aim), this brought the cue around that 1/4 inch to the right and got the butt bang on top of the baulk line. So a three inch movement of the right foot for that 1/4 inch adjustment of the butt of the cue.

Practise playing the cue ball from the brown spot over the blue pink and black spots aiming at a block of chalk on top of the cushion rail directly behind the black spot; focus on the block of chalk when striking the cue ball and see where the cue ball goes after contacting the cushion.
              If it goes to the right the majority of the time then you're cueing slightly across the line from left to right so adjust right foot to the right until the cue ball comes back straight and if it goes to the left the majority of the time then you're cueing slightly across the line from right to left so move right foot to the left until it comes back straight.
              Play slow shots at first and increase the power once your accuracy improves; you'll find that with a lot of power you'll lose accuracy but that's true of everyone so don't worry.

I can now do this practise and get the cue ball to come back to my tip at a slow pace and be within two balls width with power, but only if I remember to focus on the block of chalk, if I don't I have contrasting results and can't figure out what's going wrong.
              You hit what you're looking at but only if the whole of the cue is on the line of aim, not just the tip.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

if it goes to the left the majority of the time then you're cueing slightly across the line from right to left so move right foot to the left until it comes back straight.
                Appreciate your reply as always.

The wider stance definitely gave me more stability as I feel it boosted my confidence as well when I get down.
                I've tried cue white up and down for first 10 mins today. As opposed to your experience, . I found when I align the instep of my right foot on line, plus DROP STRAIGHT DOWN allow me to drop on line more than aligning out edge of my cueing foot. And my problem is just opposite to you. I have always got unintentional left hand side on cue ball. It just verifies what you said above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYHW...ature=youtu.be

Comment

I don't think I've ever practiced hitting the white up and down the spots like that. Maybe, once.
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
                    Appreciate your reply as always.

The wider stance definitely gave me more stability as I feel it boosted my confidence as well when I get down.
                    I've tried cue white up and down for first 10 mins today. As opposed to your experience, . I found when I align the instep of my right foot on line, plus DROP STRAIGHT DOWN allow me to drop on line more than aligning out edge of my cueing foot. And my problem is just opposite to you. I have always got unintentional left hand side on cue ball. It just verifies what you said above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYHW...ature=youtu.be
                    It looks like right hand side to me.

Comment

It looks like right hand side to me.
                      Yes, sometimes it does go to right because of not pushing the cue through or over compensation. Most of time it would be left side. But i still think with right hand and opposite eye as vision centre if i don't drop straight down, left eye will put my hand slightly more left while my right hand position were decided and fixed before getting down. As u may see, i do tilt my head to right to favor left eye when approach the shot, i am now working on strictly keeping head position(as same aiming) when DROP HEAD STRAIGHT DOWN. It will largely improve the tip off centre cue ball at the very beginning. Still need to keep a lot things in aware when getting down. Such as lock the right hand position, extend left arm while not affecting straight head down, keeping head direction still also important to make sure left hand to put in line with right hand...

Still need a lot practice...

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                        I don't think I've ever practiced hitting the white up and down the spots like that. Maybe, once.
                        Yeah, no good for amateur who have limited practice time to do too much this. That's just 2nd time in last 2 years... mostly i only do straight ball for examing the cueing.

Comment

Working...
                        X