Aiming question: 3/4, 1/2 ball etc etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiming question: 3/4, 1/2 ball etc etc

Hi there. Just back from the club tonite and the usual result - some good some dross. My question for you all is as follows...

When presented with a pot, do you identify it as a halfball, quarterball or three quarterball pot and play it as such (i.e. For halfball aim to the edge of the OB) or do you purely 'eyeball' it and guage the angle as you see it on the table?

I do the eyeball technique with mixed results, especially if anything more than a three quarter ball. Good to hear what others think and if i should alter my aiming technique at all.

Thanks

Originally Posted by andy-w View Post
    Hi there. Just back from the club tonite and the usual result - some good some dross. My question for you all is as follows...

When presented with a pot, do you identify it as a halfball, quarterball or three quarterball pot and play it as such (i.e. For halfball aim to the edge of the OB) or do you purely 'eyeball' it and guage the angle as you see it on the table?

I do the eyeball technique with mixed results, especially if anything more than a three quarter ball. Good to hear what others think and if i should alter my aiming technique at all.

Thanks
    I just judge it by eye, there's so many different angles it could be that 3/4 and 1/2 ball etc. isn't sufficient. It could be between those angles, so just walk into the shot on the line of aim.

Comment

Thanks for responding. So thats what i do at the monent. Stand back from the shot, gauge the angle, and walk int the shot.

Guess i just need to practice more!

Comment

I have never really understood 1/2 1/4 ball method and have never played it, always played spot the line to the pocket play for that spot at the back of the ball. Because to me (engineering background) there are so many angles between 1/2 1/4 or whatever, that this method alone can not ensure a pot from the infinite number of positions a ball can be in on the 36sq ft of baize
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I don't use any numbers. Not necessary, as aiming is very easy and intuitive. Reliable and consistent cue delivery on the other hand is super difficult.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            I have never really understood 1/2 1/4 ball method and have never played it, always played spot the line to the pocket play for that spot at the back of the ball. Because to me (engineering background) there are so many angles between 1/2 1/4 or whatever, that this method alone can not ensure a pot from the infinite number of positions a ball can be in on the 36sq ft of baize
            Players relying on 1/4 and 1/2 ball can come unstuck on proper tight tables where those angle rarely exist such that they make the pot!

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              me too Engineering background, which i think is a hindrance because as an engineer everything has logic and certain measurements which are hard to apply to snooker.

i've struggled with this side of the game massively, i need certainty yet all , this 1/4 , 1/2 ball, BOB, Ghost ball , line of aim . whichever method seems to work some of the time and other times doesn't.

i wish i could go back to the beginning and start over again.

Comment

Much easier to use ghost ball and aim from the back of the cue ball to achieve this. Every time I start playing like a muppet I find I've slipped into not aiming the cue ball and 99% of the mistakes are made from stood behind the shot. When I get a minute I'll draw a diagram of what I mean and upload it.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                  me too Engineering background, which i think is a hindrance because as an engineer everything has logic and certain measurements which are hard to apply to snooker.

i've struggled with this side of the game massively, i need certainty yet all , this 1/4 , 1/2 ball, BOB, Ghost ball , line of aim . whichever method seems to work some of the time and other times doesn't.

i wish i could go back to the beginning and start over again.
                  I have found with snooker that if you think about things too much then you over complicated the matter! It works best to pot the balls and just trust your technique, once you've found a technique that works for you personally, just stick with it and put it to the back of your mind. Then focus on playing the game!

Comment

Originally Posted by JohnF14722 View Post
                    I have found with snooker that if you think about things too much then you over complicated the matter! It works best to pot the balls and just trust your technique, once you've found a technique that works for you personally, just stick with it and put it to the back of your mind. Then focus on playing the game!
                    That tends to work for me until I miss one, so not normally too long Then my head goes and I'm trying to think about a million little technique things, everything but how I should be playing the shot. Sometimes I can force myself to just pick a line, a spot on the cue ball and a speed to go through, doesn't usually last though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                      Players relying on 1/4 and 1/2 ball can come unstuck on proper tight tables where those angle rarely exist such that they make the pot!
                      I've always felt this is a feel sport and a memory sport. To make breaks there are many attributes but for me the main one has to be feel. The close second is memory, what you learn in practice and matches. If you keep hitting the same shots too thick or thin you need to accept where your brain thinks you should hit the OB is wrong and practice the right angle. It has to be memorised in a way you remember, the apithany ahh this is one of those I generally over cut or undercut, use this memory trigger to make you compensate. Practice it and take it to the next match, that's the real test of making a change, trusting what looks wrong is right....after a while of potting them, it will become the right angle instinctively.

Sure I've read this somewhere in a Joe / Steve Davis book?
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                        Quite correct. I play on a tight table and just play the shot....
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          That tends to work for me until I miss one, so not normally too long Then my head goes and I'm trying to think about a million little technique things, everything but how I should be playing the shot. Sometimes I can force myself to just pick a line, a spot on the cue ball and a speed to go through, doesn't usually last though.
                          Then I'd recommend working 15 minutes a day on your technique, so you can gradually improve it without thinking about it when you play. Remember though, even the best players in the world miss balls sometimes!

Comment

Originally Posted by JohnF14722 View Post
                            Then I'd recommend working 15 minutes a day on your technique, so you can gradually improve it without thinking about it when you play. Remember though, even the best players in the world miss balls sometimes!
                            I'm glad you've said that because that's what I've been doing a little more than 15 minutes a day though, and things do seem to be going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              I'm glad you've said that because that's what I've been doing a little more than 15 minutes a day though, and things do seem to be going in the right direction.
                              Oh good! Would be interesting to see how you progress, I'm currently working on a few changes to my technique, started about a month ago, just trying to make it second nature now!

Comment

Working...
                              X