Advice - Shaping my first layered tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice - Shaping my first layered tip

This is my first post so go easy on me. I've also tried using the search function to answer my question but to no real joy.

I've recently fitted a Talisman Pro Soft to my cue and was wondering how other people go about shaping these things?

Is it recommended to just shape it at the size (height) the tip arrives, or do you recommend i sand it down a little bit like i would with a solid leather tip?

Is there anything i need to be concerned with in regards to the layers and laminate that i haven't needed to be concerned with with SL tips? Like should the laminate circle of the layer below be towards the outer edge of the tip?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by chae View Post
    This is my first post so go easy on me. I've also tried using the search function to answer my question but to no real joy.

I've recently fitted a Talisman Pro Soft to my cue and was wondering how other people go about shaping these things?

Is it recommended to just shape it at the size (height) the tip arrives, or do you recommend i sand it down a little bit like i would with a solid leather tip?

Is there anything i need to be concerned with in regards to the layers and laminate that i haven't needed to be concerned with with SL tips? Like should the laminate circle of the layer below be towards the outer edge of the tip?

Thanks in advance
    Hi Chae and welcome to the forum. First off, I guess how people shape tips is personal so I'll give you my opinion.

I use a Talisman soft and usually carry out the following:

1. I always use the next size up and then cut the tip edges back to the ferrule with a scalpel / sharp craft knife.
    2. As regards the height, I always take at least half the height off as I find the tip clunky with less action if I don't. You can do this by just sanding the bottom of the tip whilst leaving the original shape at the top intact or take straight from the top once fitted.
    3. I tend to leave the layer ring near the edge once I've finished sanding so you don;t leave a little bobble in the middle which has a tendency to come out occasionally.
    4. To sand the tip into shape I actually use 80 grip to start which seems excessive but the tips can handle this if you skim it; once I get close to what I want I switch to 600 grit and then 1,000. I generally tear a strip off to take the edges down using the same two pieces of paper (surprisingly for some I'm sure).

Taking off so much of the tip obviously makes it's life shorter but I find the tip plays straight in with no issues.

Very occasionally these tips can delaminate which is very rare but if one does it normally means the other in that box have a good chance as well.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
    X