Cueing Off The Cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cueing Off The Cushion

These two situations cause a lot of problems for players....
    Happy to reply here where I can to questions and comments on these two videos I just recorded:

Cueing Off The Cushion - The Open Bridge: https://youtu.be/aLV97hgOnRo

Cueing Off the Cushion - The Loop Bridge: https://youtu.be/BpVBCu-DvwQ

Sincerely
    Nic B
    Improving Your Game, From Every Angle: The Snooker Gym

Great advice for me. I surely can use this one.
    I always put my fingers on the cushion. That could be the reason why i get in to trouble with this kind of shots. I'm gonna give this one a try next time, see how it goes.

Comment

When cueing from the cushion, tilt your grip hand down slightly to maintain a solid and accurate contact. Simple really.
      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
        When cueing from the cushion, tilt your grip hand down slightly to maintain a solid and accurate contact. Simple really.
        If the cue is parallel then you will always get a miscue - the cue butt needs to be 2-3 inches above horizontal to give a 5 degree angle of cue or so to get the solid hit

Comment

Let us know how you get on and if you hit the ball more cleanly

Comment

I have no idea why but over the years I have completely lost the ability to perform and shots (other than a pool break off) with a looped bridge and I have put hours in trying to learn it again...

I just blinkin can't incorporate it without it feeling foreign.

I find the biggest pointer for myself is to make sure the grip is relaxed but immovable, I'm bang on the line and above all, I don't move my head... I don't mind cueing off the cush at all so I assume it works.

Comment

well , I gave this a try and this way my bridge hand (and my bridge arm) is more stable. As a result, more comfortable with cueing and delivery .(which is Important to get more confidence with cueing as well imo).

nice video. works for me. thx.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nic Barrow View Post
                Let us know how you get on and if you hit the ball more cleanly
                I don't recall expressing any issues with cueing from the cushion. Cue elevation is bad!
                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

I like the little tip about the thumb on the closed bridge. That helped.

Comment

keep still, loose grip. No need to elevate the cue.
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Anyone got any tips how to stay away from cushion in the first place?
                      Whenever cue ball needs to travel a bit, say from baulk to black area, there's always that possibility that I'll end up glued to cushion. Worst feeling is when you play what looks like a decent shot, your opponent compliments your shot prematurely, cue ball travels in right direction, but...oh no, lands right on cushion...again!
                      What to do? Aim to hit the final cushion? Try to find the right pace? Try to place the cue ball on cushion so that you don't make it (desperate)? Tried all methods with mixed results.

Comment

Look to use the cushions when you play position more often.

Comment

Tnx pottr. I do use cushions, but probably not enough. Good point.

Comment

yep, for those certain shots I used to try to control the cue ball to stay short off the cushion, usually ending up right on it and/or leave the object ball sitting in the jaws; now I play a little harder, making sure of the pot (always ) and bouncing the cue ball off the cushion, maybe coming back across the table, saves on walking round the table as well
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                            X