No announcement yet.

Help! Moving a table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the silver legged table in the background Maryfield.

Comment

Lol. I know which table he meant and thats not an Aristocrat. Unfortunately if he was told it was i am afraid he has been missold.

Comment

Erwan - the room looks great.
        Can we have better photos closer to the four tables, (usually of the legs, side boards, badges/plaques, etc. - is enough); so we can all see what you have
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

To be fair Maryfield, we had the same remark amongst ourselves regarding the legs of the table. We have another Aristocrat and legs are different...like, normal. These ones are different even though there is a genuine Aristocrat badge on the head of table.

Here is a better picture of the frame and legs while Simon is working on it : http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pssuaju5s1.jpg

To be honest, we don't really care about it really as long as the table itself is of quality, pockets are tights and cloth new.

Dean,
          I'll try to get you this. I'll go to the club tomorrow
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
            Dean,
            I'll try to get you this. I'll go to the club tomorrow
            I am easily pleased with any photos of cues and tables
            TVM
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

So I am :P
              Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Like you say if you are happy that`s the main thing. However if someone is advertising an item as one thing that it is clearly not, that`s a whole different story. Looking at table photo it possibly isn`t steel block either.
                Anyone can stick a badge on a table.
                Last edited by maryfield; 1 December 2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I can confirm they are steelblocks, I checked them myself. and it plays like it as well, no question. Now, I haven't dealt the sale myself, it's a teammate so I don't really know how it was adverted at first.
                  Simon is well known in the business so I guess he knows what he's doing. He took care of ding's own table in Sheffield the week before.

Comment

They are integral steel block type with cushion retaining slip put in from the top behind the steel just like the Chinese 8 ball tables that are coming into the country .
                    you can see them being made up in the block photo's here http://www.snookermania.co.uk/steel-block-cushions.html
                    a little different from normal steels where the frieze is separate from the steel these are made as one unit all screwed together with the angle cut back in the corners like normal wood cushions not like tournament steel block cushions as used on star tables .
                    You can tell the difference by this cut back of angled wood in the capping .
                    But I do like this design of steel cushion to the two piece one , it makes re-covering a steel the same as a normal cushion .
                    and does away with those stupid end wood blocks at the end of each steel cushion .

only a player will give feedback on if they play different as they enter the pocket openings as the rubber will enter further around that angle rather then suddenly end like the proper steel cushions .

the table leg is not a Aristocrat design
                    and neither are the cushions if they have these different steel design .
                    Last edited by Geoff Large; 2 December 2016, 01:27 AM.
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Hi Geoff. I too thought of that option, but what makes me have a little doubt is the screwed on silver panel. The Riley Club table had this type of panel and given that this is the model in the photo, this is what gave me doubts. Riley did their own variation on proper steel block cushions which had a steel bar concealed inside the body of the cushion, behind the block. It made the cushion heavier and quieter. I have a set in use at our club. If I were going the bother of making a set of cushions, I would do it properly with a sliding panel.

However at the end of the day if the buyer is happy, that's all that matters.

Forum readers use the forum as a source of information whether out of curiosity or to garner knowledge when making a purchase. It helps if the likes of ourselves correct or advise any errors.

Comment

Yes Chris ,

the steel lump behind the wood block was used also by an Irish table manufacturer and I set a Riley one up last year too
                        they are copies of the old Adamant Thurston cushion which has slate inside the wood cushion to make heavy , they just put steel in place of the slate to make a more modern version of it .

you can read about Adamant Thurston cushions on Norman Clare's website http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/nor...iard-cushions/

Comment

Cushions on Norman Clare's website http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/nor...iard-cushions/[/QUOTE]

I like the bit about hot water pans. Wouldn't this still be a good idea today for heating slow cushions? Trying to imagine what they looked like! (edit: just noticed there is an illustration on the site)
                          Last edited by bricktip; 8 December 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Very interesting that he says good hardwood rails or the more modern laminated ones are the best as opposed to steel block cushions.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

My table has prewar cuban mahogany rails. They are incredibly dense. Most people assume, wrongly, that they are playing on a steel blocked table.

As the truly dense hardwoods became unobtainable steel blocks increased in popularity.
                              王可

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
                                I like the bit about hot water pans. Wouldn't this still be a good idea today for heating slow cushions? Trying to imagine what they looked like! (edit: just noticed there is an illustration on the site) [/QUOTE]

Some time ago I posted a photo of a table in a large country house I was working on
                                the table was circa 1880 and suspended under one end of the table under the frame on swivel away wood supports , was a A frame trestle that opens up to reveal 6 pairs of L shaped brackets on one side
                                it took me around 15 minutes to work out what this A frame was for .
                                it is a rack for the Zinc water pans to heat cushions , the butler would have boiled the water in large kettle and then brought that kettle into the billiard room to fill each water pan up that where lined up on the rack .
                                I never saw the water pans and did ask the titled owner if he knew where they where , the owner was a lord but in his youth was also in a punk rock band .
                                I have not got time to look back at my posts but the photo's of the table with the zinc pan rack is on there .

I found the thread here for photo of rack scroll down http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...thurston+table
                                Last edited by Geoff Large; 8 December 2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X