ash vs maple for snooker cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I have had my maple cue for 25+ years and it is still straight.
    Hello Deanh,

I noticed that the maple cue does not react as well as an ash cue on side spin shots. Is this common to all maple cues or just with this one maple cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
      Hello Deanh,

I noticed that the maple cue does not react as well as an ash cue on side spin shots. Is this common to all maple cues or just with this one maple cue?
      one maple cue

Comment

Do you have the same tips on both cues? Are they the same weight and tip size?

Maple and Ash have a different feel generally speaking, but 10 Ash cues will also vary in feel from one another. As for spin, that's more down to other factors, not Ash v Maple I would say

Comment

the maple cue was for UK pool and a small tip (8.2mm) with an old Blue Diamond tip on it
          the ash is for snooker with 9.5mm and a lovely MW Supertip (old stock)
          use Tweeten Triangle spruce on both

I think spin is more down to cue action than the cue itself
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I think its quite because of the popularity of the game is much higher in the UK than in Canada, and also the craftsmanship of the cue makers in UK capable to produce cues predominantly made of ash which look to have better design and quality, people would have an impression that ash cues carry higher value and quality than maple cues.

But according to personal playing experience, maple cues do carry superior mechanical property (stiffness hardness density) comparing to the ash counterpart. The less grainy nature of maple wood shows the density is more even and therefore shall keep the cue stably stay in its straightness unless it is intentionally or ignorantly misused by its owner. I have seen cue owners in Canada who just leave their maple cues in the trunk of their car in extremely cold winter night but the cues remain to stay in perfect straightness the next time the owner took the cue out to play.
              Last edited by johnrusty; 17 May 2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

i prefer ash but both are solid options

Comment

Working...
                X