Do I need to keep room heated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
    the biggest problem you will have is Humidity and condensation when heating cold rooms that is why constant heat is better under the table , slates will sweat condensation if heating up from cold , this will in turn damp the cloth .

I had a set of slates on my van the other day , and when putting the table up in a warm room , the slates started to sweat out the dampness of being stored on a van for two days between a house move .
    you will be amazed at how much dampness comes out of them , when heating the slate up from cold .
    This makes me wonder if simply insulating the underside of the slates will help, without additional heating tubes. I know that plumbing can sweat and cause condensation (cold water running through pipes and a warm room) so it could be the same with slates... perhaps not obvious dripping but the slates are very cold to the touch unless they have heating right up close.

I have underfloor heating, but have stopped covering the table for a few months thinking that the table can sweat under the cover (obviously not a God cover). It does seem drier as a result and quicker.... especially the cushions.
    Last edited by bricktip; 17 November 2017, 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm looking to invest in probably 2 oil heaters to go under the table, either side. I'm told electric heaters make the slates sweat by a few friends. Is this accurate?

Comment

Originally Posted by Markus0101 View Post
        I'm looking to invest in probably 2 oil heaters to go under the table, either side. I'm told electric heaters make the slates sweat by a few friends. Is this accurate?
        only if they absorb cold air in the night time and when you switch on any type of heat they will sweat , even the oil filled rads will make them sweat if they have absorbed damp , it is the heat drawing it out not what is used to the heat, it could be tubes matting or oil filled rads heat is heat .

Heat rises upwards .

I set a full size table up the other week , and the owner had the slates outside and the woodwork inside , I phoned the night before to make sure everything was in the room and dry , when he informed me the slates where still outside just outside the doors , I told him they would sweat and any filler would not set in the joints until they where dry , and if possible could he get them inside before I come the next day upright like a door each slate against a wall , and heat the room overnight to get the damp out of the slates , the wet damp that had been absorbed came out of the slates overnight and also all the nicotine that was on the underside of the slate came out too .

So ANY HEAT under the table will force the slates to sweat any water or dampness out .
        normally upwards into the cloth .
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
          only if they absorb cold air in the night time and when you switch on any type of heat they will sweat , even the oil filled rads will make them sweat if they have absorbed damp , it is the heat drawing it out not what is used to the heat, it could be tubes matting or oil filled rads heat is heat .

Heat rises upwards .

I set a full size table up the other week , and the owner had the slates outside and the woodwork inside , I phoned the night before to make sure everything was in the room and dry , when he informed me the slates where still outside just outside the doors , I told him they would sweat and any filler would not set in the joints until they where dry , and if possible could he get them inside before I come the next day upright like a door each slate against a wall , and heat the room overnight to get the damp out of the slates , the wet damp that had been absorbed came out of the slates overnight and also all the nicotine that was on the underside of the slate came out too .

So ANY HEAT under the table will force the slates to sweat any water or dampness out .
          normally upwards into the cloth .
          I see... the room for our snooker normally is on the cooler side. I don't know what course to follow then to speed up the cloth or even if there is a definite answer. It is a new Strachan cloth but on the slower side.

Comment

Plenty of brushing and ironing to wear the nap in and keep it flat for a fast cloth .
            back ground heat of a 60f set heater under the table on constant is all you need .
            you do not have to fry an egg on the slate .
            and I have come across serious heat under tables just a few inches from the slate , this distorts the slate and moves the joints and unsettles the joint filler .

ask for the light weight Strachan 6811 next time , they do two one at 30 oz , and one slightly thinner at 29 oz but it is hard to get hold of as they do not make it in large enough quantities .

http://gclbilliards.com/bloxwich-nea...-napped-cloth/

Comment

Will do the constant brushing and ironing part to wear the nap down plenty. I got the 6811 30oz cloth too I'm sure. 60f set heater? I assume that's just 1 heater slap bang under middle of table set at 15 deg / 60 fahrenheit. Any specific heater? Electric?

Comment

Originally Posted by Markus0101 View Post
                Will do the constant brushing and ironing part to wear the nap down plenty. I got the 6811 30oz cloth too I'm sure. 60f set heater? I assume that's just 1 heater slap bang under middle of table set at 15 deg / 60 fahrenheit. Any specific heater? Electric?
                A safe thermo controlled one , oil filled is OK , but nothing that is low cost imported low quality unsafe rubbish .
                just loom for a good make one . heat rises and will come back down and circulate into the other two chambers under the table .
                or use three small 500 watt ones the inner one set slightly lower setting than the two outside ones .

Comment

Working...
                X