Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie welcome and cue alteration help

Greetings all,

I am new to this site and have enjoyed perusing some of the recent forum discussions - you could say I'm somewhat of a self-confessed snooker geek!

A little about me - used to play snooker as a young lad, and into my early twenties, before the combination of amber nectar and dating altered my path of enjoyment! A familiar tale no doubt.

Highest competitive break is 145.

Competed in a few South East - London, Essex & Kent - based Pro-Am events, represented London at county pool level (English eight-ball), and - for a very brief while - played on the now defunct UKAPA (United Kingdom American Pool Association) 9-ball pool tour.

This all came to an end, circa 1997, at the grand age of 23!

As a married family man, now 43, living in Norfolk since 2005, I have picked up the cue again and am enjoying some weekly cue sports fun courtesy of the local English eight-ball pool league ...not all baize ability has been lost just yet!

As well as saying 'hi' to you all, I have some advice to seek regarding cue alterations - who is the best man for the job etc?...

I have a few cues, one of which requires some alteration - a 1990 bespoke made John Parris Paragon cue with ash shaft, plain ebony butt (jointed at 11" from the base), which is now just 56.5" in length - following previous ferrule work - and with a tip size at just circa 8.5 - 9mm.

I require the tip size to be increased to somewhere around 9.75 - 10mm, and the cue itself lengthened to 58.5" with the addition of some nice exotic hardwood secondary splicing (something like an olive wood).

I have e-mailed both John Parris and Stamford Cues, enquiring accordingly, and am awaiting a response.

Any other recommendations? (bearing in mind also my East Anglia location).

BTW - my other two cues are old antique beauties - both in one piece maple - Burroughs & Watts (which is my now playing cue), with London Soho Square name plate, and the other has an unknown identification / history (although there is a story attached to how it came into my possession!).

Hope you've enjoyed reading and I look forward to any replies.

Cheers! - 147Levitt (or, should that really be 145Levitt!)
    Highest break - 145
    Playing cue - an old antique Burroughs & Watts 'London Soho Square' 1 piece maple - 58" / 16.5oz / with a 10mm tip

"Fantabulous!"...

Hello 147!
    Given that you're no mug when it comes to the geenbaize, you will want the best for your cue alterations. Stamford do excellent along with MW but am not sure about JP as too whether he does alteration work?

There are many cue makers out there who will make the necessary alteration you require, but am not too sure of each and every craftsmanship they offer or how much they charge.

Am sure many will chip in with their opinions and recommendations...
    So am sure you will achieve what you want.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Many thanks Lone Wolf - much appreciate your prompt reply.

Stamford Cues certainly look at good option - the Selby & Ding work they appear to have undertaken very impressive indeed.

Cheers!
      Highest break - 145
      Playing cue - an old antique Burroughs & Watts 'London Soho Square' 1 piece maple - 58" / 16.5oz / with a 10mm tip

"Fantabulous!"...

Comment

Hi 145Levitt (:wink
        welcome to TSF
        being a Paragon I would wait for JP's reply and keep the badge
        Alternatives?
        I have used Andy Travis several times for alterations, he is over in Sheffield but worth it, good value and timescale; he is on TSF and also on Facebook.
        I understand there is a cuedoctor over in East Anglia somewhere, John Bradford, I don't knows his capabilities or any other details.
        Another over that way is Michael Cushion, again no other information or experience of.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Many thanks for your comment and suggestions Dean.

I've not heard of either John Bradford or Michael Cushion but will do some investigation.

I have heard that Andy Travis is good.

Cheers!
          Highest break - 145

"Fantabulous!"...

Comment

Great intro , welcome to TSF.
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Parris don't do alterations to non Parris cues anymore apparently. Robert Osborne does extensions but in my own experience I'd advise you to leave the cue in its original condition. I had mine altered and it took 6 months to get used to it. If you want a longer cue, buy a longer cue.
              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Dave Coutts , just outside Lincoln , very busy but quality work . Stamford cues and Robin Cook are in your area plus I would back Deans suggestion of Andy Travis , very reasonable prices and quick turnaround and he used to do some great work with Olivewood , using Ebony as a veneer to suggest a stringing finish . Forum Member j6 is also producing quality cues atm , up to a professional tour standard I have several of his and they are quality through and through, check out his thread. Would also second that you leave the Paragon alone and just get another longer cue . The problem with going up from say 8.5 mm to 9.75 or 10 mm is that to do it you would shorten from the ferrule end to go up in taper , lengthen at the butt and then you end up with a much stiffer cue in general . It is better to buy a cue that is tapered to be 58 " + from the start and if it needs altering you have room in the length and taper to do so .

Comment

Many thanks Old School - much appreciate your feedback and suggestions - and I do take your point re: the change in cue taper and, thus, the overall feel.

Will continue to investigate.

Cheers!
                  Highest break - 145

"Fantabulous!"...

Comment

Hi Levitt
                    Like many I stopped playing due to beer, women and clubbing.
                    I was originally from Kent and played snooker at league and pro ams occasionally. I also played on gb9, bpppa and pro9 UK American pool tours.
                    Good luck with your snooker resurrection!!
                    I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Thanks Tony.

Not sure if you remember what used to be the annual 'Kent Open' eight-ball pool tournament - I think this used to be held in Orpington?

I only entered it once - circa 1992 - and reached the final beating Paul Goldstaub and Morray Dolan (in the semi-final) along the way. Darren Appleton won the event that year.
                      Highest break - 145

"Fantabulous!"...

Comment

I’d second leaving the original cue how it is. Altering a cue of that she will play plain weird and you’ll most likely hate it.

If you want a custom cue at a sensible price de table d contact Andy Travis. I see 10-20 cues a week come through one of my close friends and for playability I’ve struggled to top him.

If you want to try before you buy I’d head up and see Stu at Green Baize. Between the brands he stocks I’d be amazed if you didn’t find something that feels right.

Comment

We would of prob crossed swords at some point, I played for Berkshire County Pool back in 97 (unfortunately still at it! :-) ) think others have already covered most of the main Cue Doctors- Should get yourself back into the 8 Ball scene, obviously you can play to a good standard and some decent money to be made with all the Money Matches going on at the mo.

Comment

Working...
                          X