Redneck heresey..steaming ash...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck heresey..steaming ash...?

Evening, got to watch the pennies till the new year so...

Found the ash shaft for my cuecraft cue and its warped slightly, about 2mm on kitchen worktop (which is probably not true). Anyway it looks a lovely piece of wood so Im wondering about heating over kettle and then sleeving it with a fishing rod of same taper to cool and set.

Anyone tried anything similar or am I a prat for thinking like this.

Maybe the set doesnt affect play but it affects my mind.

Cheers

Sight down the cue from butt to tip and rotate it in your hand, thats how you'll know if its bent or not. Rolling it on a flat surface doesn't tell you much.

Comment

Cant find an edit button, sorry. Just read (typical as I spent half an hour or so before posting) that the lignin becomes pliable after 100 degrees and regains its strength when cold. Hmmm begibining to think this might have some merit.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        Sight down the cue from butt to tip and rotate it in your hand, thats how you'll know if its bent or not. Rolling it on a flat surface doesn't tell you much.
        Yes , sorry, Ive done that and its got two small sets in different planes, should have mentioned that first of all apologies...

Comment

Use a hairdryer, heat area where warped and gently bend cue past straight.
          Done 3 or 4 cues now and works a treat with it staying straight too.
          VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
          Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
          Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
          Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
            Use a hairdryer, heat area where warped and gently bend cue past straight.
            Done 3 or 4 cues now and works a treat with it staying straight too.
            Thats an idea thanks, havent played for 10 years, shaft was sanded and not sealed, gave my case away, and I think, by eye, its got two different sets , both within 12" of tip. Your post gives me hope but I need to find the cause of its offset a little more thoroughly. Ive got a laser level and 4ft fatmax level. Ill get them out tomorrow see if I can make a definitive diagnosis. Tis unreal two weeks ago while shopfittting I was trying to find a good home for a 2ft Rabone straightedge

Comment

The hairdryer will work and can sometimes massage them straight as I've done plenty this way too.
              A few don't stay but most I've done have, talking about massaging..
              Last edited by Ninja.cues; 11 December 2017, 01:45 PM.
              For that one you've always wanted...
              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Just bend it straight.

Comment

Havent the eye or feel just to bend it, need a jig or oversleeve. Not cos Im a good player just to do with my head.

Comment

Where are you as someone near you might be able to help...
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Minor bends just bend the cue against the bend, for more serious bends I steam over boiling water then bend against the bend and hang up to let the cues natural weight to help pull it straight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,trying to get it centred on a cheap fishing rod varnish drier now, Ive wrapped masking tape around at about 150mm intervals for marking and a combination square as a makeshift dial test indicator.

Cheers Dave, only thing Id read about hanging a cue was to leave it for months, too stupid to think for myself. Doesnt help that Ive probably got flats from hand sanding..Ill try and post pics later...

Comment

Well, the spindle turning the microwave motor doesnt run true, ended up using the support and a turned chair headrest with combination square, turns out its 1mm out, unbelievable considering its abuse. Purchased and used without case for 6 months or so then stored flat on kitchen cupboards, ok its was in a case for 5 years but still, full marks to cue craft. I'll see if theres a lathe using joiner local to me see if I'm right. Now to locate the butt...,seriously, grandkids were playing with it before they moved out ....FFS...

Comment

Hairdryer is a better option than steaming as no moisture involved...a reason cues end up bent again overtime.
                            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                            Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                            Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                            Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Thanks TD, do you mean they take on a set when drying ..? No, you said over time.Maybe some parts of the lignin get diluted by water... dunno, too many variables. Work with carpenters quite a lot so might ask them.

Comment

Working...
                              X