No announcement yet.

2017 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or the classic......the commentator says the player is going to play the shot in a particular way ........and the player plays something totally different . Then the commentator says .....oh yes , that’s the other you can play it
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• I don't think it's easy second guessing a players thoughts, I'm not sure why they bother, maybe they have a book on who can get the most right Most other sports just commentate on what has happened, or what's happening at the moment.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        I don't think it's easy second guessing a players thoughts, I'm not sure why they bother, maybe they have a book on who can get the most right Most other sports just commentate on what has happened, or what's happening at the moment.
        I think it can be quite instructive if they give a bit of the reasoning behind the choice. I enjoy hearing Hendry's thoughts, and the Hendry Davis team this tournament was excellent. Never going to get all the calls right since it is often down to player preference. But I could also listen to snooker stories all day if they wanted to go that route.

Comment

• I've watched the end session a few time on iPlayer it was that good. Watching Murphy's face was he was sat there in amazement is just priceless

Comment

• I am a little late with my comments on this occasion, but I had a pretty annoying day yesterday and couldn't really watch all of the match live... :frown:

Well played to Ronnie O'Sullivan, yet another strong performance in a major final. He has managed to win a title or two every season in recent times, but I wasn't quite expecting him to string three titles and four finals together in such a short period of time. He seems pretty bulletproof mentally at the moment, which makes him a big danger in the second part of the season as well. It was hard to imagine Mark Selby not being a big favourite again at the Crucible, but with O'Sullivan in this kind of form, things are beginning to look very interesting. :smile: That makes it 28 major ranking titles for him now, when you exclude the short-format stuff, so it looks like he will now overtake Davis before John Higgins does. :wink:

As for Murphy, he played a pretty good tournament and actually played reasonably well in the final, much better than some people predicted. That includes my mother by the way, who is still unsure whether Murphy should be allowed out of his "mouse hole" yet. :wink: You really need that extra gear to beat an in-form O'Sullivan in a major final, and I don't think Murphy has had that since he won the Masters three seasons ago. Still, if that blue had stayed over the pocket for Songsermsawad, Murphy would probably have taken the title. :smile:

All in all, I must say I kind of enjoyed this tournament, in spite of all the shocks. The players who got to the business end all played quite well, and there were a couple of really exciting matches and a few high-quality ones as well. My personal feelings aside though, this was probably one of the worst UK Championships in recent memory. So many of the top players going out early makes things interesting in one sense, but it also produced a sense of inevitability as early as the last16 round, where it was already difficult to see anything other than an O'Sullivan-Murphy final. I like to see a few more genuine contenders in the later rounds, which was sadly not the case on this occasion.

Oh well, at least there's no danger of this scenario in the Masters, because almost everyone there has the class to win it. But first, one eye on the Scottish Open, as always. :smile:

Comment

• Last six Triple Crown events, Selby and Ronnie have won 3 each (2 Worlds and 1 UK for Selby, 2 Masters and 1UK for Ronnie).

Comment

• I think he can turn it on for long periods of time, the whole week at the English open and upto the final at the CoC was some his best stuff since 2004 WC and then the wc12/13 imo.

It's his B and C game which he stepped up massively and is willing to 'do a Selby' to win. Not always possible but he almost did that isn't he final of the CoC, was one ball away from making it go the distance.

He has got to be looking to smash some records this season now and just show people what he can do when he tries.

He has been in 5 finals and won 3 so far, is that correct?

So, then.

5 ranking titles, easily possible.
                Most titles inc invitationals, possible?
                Most finals inc invitationals, 5 already don't know what the record is.
                Most finals lost in a season, two and don't really want any more.
                Maybe the 100 centuries in a season, he is racking them up at the moment.

And....

Win the snooker shootout....he has to enter it at some point. Did he enter the first few seasons, I can't remember.

I would love Ronnie to stick around and break the record for biggest gap between first and last title but not sure if that will happen.

Anyway, it's been a cracking season for him and snooker fans already and only just halfway the season.

Comment

• And I forgot the biggest, triple crown in one season....

Would love that. Can see him doing the first two easily now but the WC will be tough.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cebs View Post
                    I think he can turn it on for long periods of time, the whole week at the English open and upto the final at the CoC was some his best stuff since 2004 WC and then the wc12/13 imo.
                    I agree, though I don't think he can do it consciously - something has to flick inside and he goes into turbo mode, but it's rather like in boxing - a big puncher trying for a knockout tenses up and it often never comes - if he relaxes

Comment

• I wouldn't trust that Dr Peters, he's the guy who turbocharged Wiggins for the Tour de France...

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hey View Post
                        I wouldn't trust that Dr Peters, he's the guy who turbocharged Wiggins for the Tour de France...
                        No he isn't - Wiggins has slagged him off in the press.

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                          No he isn't - Wiggins has slagged him off in the press.
                          Yes Peters was the head of medicine at Sky, he hired Leinders...

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hey View Post
                            I wouldn't trust that Dr Peters, he's the guy who turbocharged Wiggins for the Tour de France...

Him and the magic coffee beans aye
                            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by Selbyjustbegun View Post
                              Last six Triple Crown events, Selby and Ronnie have won 3 each (2 Worlds and 1 UK for Selby, 2 Masters and 1UK for Ronnie).
                              Between them they've won 13 of the last 17 as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X