Stake fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stake fee

Can anyone tell me what the "stake fee" was in early World Championships. Seems there was almost a boycott of the 1950 Championship because the BA&CC put it up from 5 guineas to 20. They later withdrew it. Was it a sort of entry fee or was it used for prize money?

see https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...3115%2C9033168 (Glasgow Herald 31 August 1949 page 9)

Yep, players' entry fee to the tournament.
    Just like Hearn dropping entry fees last year for each event that players had to pay.
    I think the stake fee was used in part for the prize fund, but mostly probably went to the council. Back in those days most prize funds came from the gate (ticket sales).
    This is why when the News of the World £1500 event started it was new in that the prize fund was pre-defined.
    Last edited by DeanH; 29 November 2017, 06:02 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Cheers. Makes sense. Seems to remember some tale about Joe using the prize money from the first Championship to buy the cup. Always seemed a little dubious to me.

Comment

Actually it was BACC that used part of the player's fees to purchase the trophy.
        Joe Davis, the eventual champion, won the £6 and 10 shillings from gate receipts.

Comment

Doesn't sound like much, but you could buy a house for a fiver!
          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

average skilled labourer monthly wage was approx. £5
            so not bad, for a relatively new sport

Comment

Although in 1946 "Davis and Lindrum received £1,800 and £550 respectively. Lindrum also received the championship table and all the equipment" The Horticultural Hall seated 1,250 so with 2 sessions a day (3pm and 730) over 12 days that's 30,000 tickets. Prices were from 5s up to £3. Probably most were at the 5s end but that's still £7,500+.

Comment

Originally Posted by nigej View Post
                Although in 1946 "Davis and Lindrum received £1,800 and £550 respectively. Lindrum also received the championship table and all the equipment" The Horticultural Hall seated 1,250 so with 2 sessions a day (3pm and 730) over 12 days that's 30,000 tickets. Prices were from 5s up to £3. Probably most were at the 5s end but that's still £7,500+.

I am sure it was not capacity every session :wink:
                I think they may also have had an agreement for a share of the gate on top of the advertised prize fund
                Share of gate was very common back then and details often confidential with the organisers.

Comment

True. Although with 14 entrants paying 5 guineas to enter, the prize money can only have been a minimal part of the £1800 and £550. Never seen as advertised prize fund.

Comment

I have the programme for the 1946 Championship, signed by Horace Lindrum.

Comment

often see one on ebay with several signatures I believe

been interested but I am sure the wife wont enjoy me starting another collection! :wink:
                      Last edited by DeanH; 14 December 2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        often see one on ebay with several signatures I believe

been interested but I am sure the wife wont enjoy me starting another collection! :wink:
                        I often can't resist when I see them pop up on ebay!

I have about 40 Billiard Player magazines. They're becoming harder to acquire now.

Comment

Working...
                        X