Aim by BOB etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aim by BOB etc

Nice Barrow taught me that the line on BOB isn’t exactly the line of the ball, as the impact throws it thicker and this is more pronounced on cuts.

Does power/stun/screw do anything to angles?

Also, another thing I don’t get.

I use BOB, I see a spot on ball direct to pocket. Now, let’s say this is half ball. If you put 2 balls together at 45 degrees, that will be a half ball, yet the ball goes at 30 degrees....

So, if a 45 degree half ball goes at a much more acute angle, how is the BOB method valid? Because although you find BOB, the ball is not travelling at 45 degrees on a half ball, so how can BOB be accurate?

Hope this makes sense, will post pics if it doesn’t make sense as this is really bugging me!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Snookclops View Post
    Nice Barrow taught me that the line on BOB isn’t exactly the line of the ball, as the impact throws it thicker and this is more pronounced on cuts.

Does power/stun/screw do anything to angles?

Also, another thing I don’t get.

I use BOB, I see a spot on ball direct to pocket. Now, let’s say this is half ball. If you put 2 balls together at 45 degrees, that will be a half ball, yet the ball goes at 30 degrees....

So, if a 45 degree half ball goes at a much more acute angle, how is the BOB method valid? Because although you find BOB, the ball is not travelling at 45 degrees on a half ball, so how can BOB be accurate?

Hope this makes sense, will post pics if it doesn’t make sense as this is really bugging me!

Thanks
    In pool we call it the 30 degree rule

Comment

Half ball isn't 45° it's 30°. 45° is nearer quarter ball (48.6°). That's not taking contact induced throw into account either. Thinking a half ball hit is 45° is not correct. The 30° angle isn't a result of 15° of throw, throw may push a degree of 2 but nothing as significant as 15°

Comment

helpful vid
        http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa...w.html#maximum

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          Half ball isn't 45° it's 30°. 45° is nearer quarter ball (48.6°). That's not taking contact induced throw into account either. Thinking a half ball hit is 45° is not correct. The 30° angle isn't a result of 15° of throw, throw may push a degree of 2 but nothing as significant as 15°

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/aim1.gif

That is 45 degrees is it not?

Comment

Snookerclops, yes. B seems to be 45°. That's not a half ball hit though, the aim line to the cue ball is well outside of half ball. Maybe Nick Barrow uses different terminology, but a half ball hit is where half the CB overlaps half the OB (so you can just aim at the edge of the OB). The shot on your diagram is a lot thinner (quarter ball)

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
              Snookerclops, yes. B seems to be 45°. That's not a half ball hit though, the aim line to the cue ball is well outside of half ball. Maybe Nick Barrow uses different terminology, but a half ball hit is where half the CB overlaps half the OB (so you can just aim at the edge of the OB). The shot on your diagram is a lot thinner (quarter ball)
              Well spotted and well said. Nic doesn't use or say anything different.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I dunno if it's well accepted round these parts or not but ive always used the ghost ball theory as I first read in Steve Davis book many years ago and also Barry Stark still mentions recently on his youtube channel so assume its still a textbook aiming system.

I feel I don't miss much thro aim I'm usually pretty happy my cue is on line, anything i miss is usually related to a cue bash/poor snatched delivery.

Comment

Working...
                X