Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Just interested to know what people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

I purchased the book a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have improved my game in terms of sighting and aiming - but just want to know what you think!
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

ive seen his youtube videos and read his book, what he says goes against everything any coach or pro player would tel you.
    to play every shot with side isn't a way to improve anyone's game let alone a beginner.

yes side is important for position in certain situations . but he plays side when not hitting a cushion. plus the way he lines up the shot no matter what side he is applying he approaches the same side of the OB.

i looked closely at some of his video and he isn't doing what he preaches . he steers the shots.

i have tried some of them shots just to see if his theory works and it doesn't.

you will always get that instant success when you try something new , however it doesn't last, soon wears off.

i would play plain ball on any shot and learn the angle, rather than having to add the difficulty of side and then guess and work out how much allowance i need to pot. doesn't make sense.

if you ask me it's rubbish

Comment

I have bought his book (just checking out the possible competition) and watched the videos and I agree completely with alabadi. He has one good amateur player that he holds up as an example along with the actual writer of his book and that's it. What he's saying makes no sense at all.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it's interesting. In my opinion it works for me, as I have always had problems walking in and approaching via the "textbook" way of doing it....I think when you mention side he means just a trace of it, and not extreme side!

I have tried his technique out and made a 51 from it, so in my opinion it clearly works.

Also, I think what he is saying in relation to the walk in is the fact if you stand with your feet either side of the white and then walk in with the leading foot, you are prone to actually walking off the line of the shot, whereas, if you walk in outside the ball, you will get down on line better. But that's only my opinion.

I found his points on where to strike the object ball really easy to understand, as well as where to aim regarding the pockets on shots.

All in all, it's improved my game so I will stick with it...

Interesting though that some players can't get on with it...

Comment

I have had some email contact with Roy, what I would say about his coaching methods is, he's a lovely old chap.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Just watched a few videos on YouTube.all I can say is wow.I can't believe what I've just seen,the premise of his ideas are to approach the shot off line then compensate with side.he says if you aim centre ball,you can't guarantee hitting centre ball,so by playing g with side you guarantee hitting where you aim(total nonsense)...
            H.b.142

Comment

I watched his videos a while back. First thought was not for me. Second thought what is his pedigree, as coach and guru were words being used. Couldn't find much on him but did find a local rag with a article on him. Not sure if his words or fans but article claimed he helped Thorburn win his world title??? Just seems like a nice bloke whos having a go on camera. Cameraman/fanboy needs sacking.

Comment

as far as i can see , He's using 2 point contact technique.
                I just saw one of his videos explaining stun shots.
                He is an good cueist , imo.

I have'nt read his book, do'nt know anything about his ideas ,btw.

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
                  Just watched a few videos on YouTube.all I can say is wow.I can't believe what I've just seen,the premise of his ideas are to approach the shot off line then compensate with side.he says if you aim centre ball,you can't guarantee hitting centre ball,so by playing g with side you guarantee hitting where you aim(total nonsense)...
                  Actually I disagree (don't shoot me but ) - I think hitting perfect centre ball every time is hard to do consistently and probably quite a few good players even pro players do hit just to the left or right of centre ball - I cue all over the white - whatever is needed - some players that cue just to the right or left of centre might not be aware they are doing it too. Not everyone plays the same way - what matters is hitting where you are aiming - if it helps it helps. I do know players that do this - so I think he has a point. New ideas are always welcome at snooker - let him earn a few quid doing the thing he loves I say without discrediting his ideas totally out of hand because he does know some stuff that can help players.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    Actually I disagree (don't shoot me but ) - I think hitting perfect centre ball every time is hard to do consistently and probably quite a few good players even pro players do hit just to the left or right of centre ball - I cue all over the white - whatever is needed - some players that cue just to the right or left of centre might not be aware they are doing it too. Not everyone plays the same way - what matters is hitting where you are aiming - if it helps it helps. I do know players that do this - so I think he has a point. New ideas are always welcome at snooker - let him earn a few quid doing the thing he loves I say without discrediting his ideas totally out of hand because he does know some stuff that can help players.
                    But the idea still fails,because if you can't hit where you aim(ie centre) you wont hit the point your aiming at(side spin) accurate so therefore will still miss by still not hitting where you aim.
                    H.b.142

Comment

I find his stuff to be a mixed bag. There is the odd good idea or nugget, but I still watch his videos since at this point I think I have enough knoweledge about the game to sort the good from the bad. There were a few safety shots he demonstrated that I liked and used in tournament play.

Comment

About a year and a half ago I happened to have the pleasure of being in the company of a current top 16 player. I was watching him play some shots .

He potted a 3/4 ball yellow into its own pocket (the yellow was not on its spot , it was closer to the brown ) to run maybe 6inches across for the green . He played the shot with about a tip of left hand side (which would be running side for that shot ) . Cue ball was nowhere near the cushion

I asked him why he played it with side and he just said "everyone would " . There was an ex pro there aswell and he said it just makes the shot easier and most pros or top amatures would play it with side .

Found that quite interesting ......I still don't play with side though lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                          I asked him why he played it with side and he just said "everyone would " . There was an ex pro there aswell and he said it just makes the shot easier and most pros or top amatures would play it with side .

Found that quite interesting ......I still don't play with side though lol
                          Barry Stark says something similar in one of his vids. I think it is due to hitting the OB a bit more centrally.......

Comment

Everything he has said in the book/video has worked for me - so I have no complaints.

I agree with Roy that you can't hit the centre of the white 100% of the time. You may think you are and you may try to but IMO it is not possible. So why bother trying every time? - And he is only talking about using a mere trace of left or right (half a tip) and not extreme side.

As for the walk in - he is right, if you can sort out the approach that's 90% of the shot done!

Like anything you have to practice it, and hone it....

Some people don't like it when someone comes up with a technique that goes against the "textbook" theory - we are not robots, it should be about what suits the individual, and you shouldn't say to someone you have to do it like this just because the textbook says "do it this way." There is no right or wrong IMO.

Comment

So he is saying that his Idiosyncracy ie not being able to deliver the cue online from an online approach will help us all?

Old timer1 year ago
                              Hi Roy, am I right in saying you are pointing your cue outside the line because when you get down on the shot and move your hips out the way that pulls your cue across onto the correct line?
                              Snooker Secrets
                              Snooker Secrets1 year ago
                              Hello old timer, yes when you approach out side the line, when your foot goes out when you get down on the shot you will find you are EXACTLY on the line you want. All the best Roy.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnje5W1NZQ

I'm all for "there being no right or wrong way, just what works for each individual player" but this advice could well screw (pun intended) a fair few players, imho.

Comment

Working...
                              X