Newbie question RE Cue differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question RE Cue differences

Hi this may sound like the most naive question ever, but im curious.

If one cue maker has multiple ranges, what are the actual differences?

Eg I have a Robert Osborne Red Plate paid around £400 I think. Green plates are around 800.

What makes the other range better apart from more fancy splicing? Are they not made of the same pieces of ash wood?

Another example being the John Parris ultimate.

mostly aesthetic and that fact that you would part with your money for the badge. Other than that no difference really

Comment

Sanman hits the nail on the head here!

Osborne himself will tell you there's zero difference in quality of timber, time of ageing of the wood, or time making the cue by the cuemaker. A cue should be all about the way it hits a ball. Does it transmit feeling to your grip hand? Does it feel right to you? Chevrons and splices are all well and good but if the cue has no feel I'd rather use a well chosen rack cue.
      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Well that's reassuring to know one doesn't need to spend a fortune to have a good quality cue

Comment

Originally Posted by mohammed1232019 View Post
          Hi this may sound like the most naive question ever, but im curious.

If one cue maker has multiple ranges, what are the actual differences?

Eg I have a Robert Osborne Red Plate paid around £400 I think. Green plates are around 800.

What makes the other range better apart from more fancy splicing? Are they not made of the same pieces of ash wood?

Another example being the John Parris ultimate.
          You can also look for a black plate if you have deep pockets.

Comment

Working...
          X