• Show
Clear All

• snooker cue eyles oxonian special

just got this cue eyles oxonian special cue has any body heard of this cue

snooker cue eyles oxonian special

any photo you can share Gary?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

at the moment its raining in london as soon as its stops i will go to the shed and take pics and post both cues dean

Comment

the Oxford Jelks & Sons looks more intreesting

Comment

it is bucketing it down here as well

Comment

yes dean its bad here ive tried to look up the eyles oxonian special cue nothing on the net its a old cue

Comment

not at home at the mo but will search my archive when home

Comment

Comment

The Eyles' family were quite active in Oxford billiards for quite a long period, most notably the Oxford University billiard Cue matches, and also the full Varsity matches, which took place in their rooms. I've seen a couple of Eyles cues, a square badge "Oxonian" and a round badge with just "Eyles, Oxford" written on it.

I think both of these cues come from Henry John Eyles, who took over Beechy's Alfred Street billiard saloon in 1901. He was a prominent local player, and in 1901 also advertised "ten years experience in teaching." I would need to confirm that the cue dates from that period before giving that attribution with any level of certainty. The billiard rooms were still operating under the Eyles name in the 1930s, so they could easily be linked to this later period.

Comment

thanks so much for that

Comment

The "Oxonian" reference is interesting. Although it was a common term for a resident of the town, Henry Eyles was a keen amateur cyclist being a long time member of the "Oxonian Bicycle and Tricycle Club," and in addition to his billiard activities ran a cycle shop which went under the name of "Eyles and Eyles". The name suggests that this venture was in conjunction with a relative, probably his older brother Charles, (C. W. Eyles) who was also known to have been a keen cyclist. It could very well be that a cycle shop also retailed other sporting goods, such as billiard cues, or perhaps they were just sold exclusively from Beechy's rooms. The cycle shop was still going in 1915, which is the year before conscription was introduced for Army service, although I reckon Henry Eyles would have just about been exempt by that time. If you can date the style of the cue to between 1900-1915 it would fit in well with a lot of this history.

The only other possible billiard playing Eyles was his father, Charles, who after going into partnership with Harry Beechey to operate High Street billiard rooms in 1865, set out with his own establishment some time around 1880 at 113 St. Aldate Street, which coincidentally is the same address as Henry's cycle shop in 1915. For it to be a Charles Eyles cue, it would have to date between 1880-1900.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                        The Eyles' family were quite active in Oxford billiards for quite a long period, most notably the Oxford University billiard Cue matches, and also the full Varsity matches, which took place in their rooms. I've seen a couple of Eyles cues, a square badge "Oxonian" and a round badge with just "Eyles, Oxford" written on it.

I think both of these cues come from Henry John Eyles, who took over Beechy's Alfred Street billiard saloon in 1901. He was a prominent local player, and in 1901 also advertised "ten years experience in teaching." I would need to confirm that the cue dates from that period before giving that attribution with any level of certainty. The billiard rooms were still operating under the Eyles name in the 1930s, so they could easily be linked to this later period.
                        Are you Domonic Dale...?

Comment

Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                          Are you Domonic Dale...?
                          Lol .... No, but we are aware of each other.

Comment

Lol .... No, but we are aware of each other.
                            Love it. You know i was convinced.

Comment

I would need to confirm that the cue dates from that period before giving that attribution with any level of certainty

Original Source: snooker cue eyles oxonian special http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz5a4M3LB31
                              - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
                              Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook
                              would more photos help i take it this is a rare cue then thanks for your help on this

Comment

Working...
                              X