Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Cue

Hi all,
    Firstly i want to say hello to everyone this is my first thread so be gentle!

I used to play alot of english pool to a good level but due to work/family etc i stopped playing about 5/6 years ago. Prior to that i used a 1 piece "red glue" Parris 56", 30mm Butt, 8.5 tip, 20 oz cue for around 15 years. Things have now settled down at home so afew months ago i decided to get back into english pool with a hope one day of getting back to somewhere near a good level. Then unfortunately disaster struck and my old cue got damaged beyond repair... if im honest i was heart broken.

So determined to stick with getting back into the game (which had been going well) i found this forum and started reading up about what was "current" in cues and cue makers. I read lots of reviews and decided on a Mike Woodridge cue, i also loved the classic plain ebony look so a Black legend looked the best bet. This was confirmed following a discussion via email with Mike. He was very helpful by the way. Then out of the blue came the chance to buy a MW with little use and a similar spec to my old JP cue, i should be getting it this weekend and im hugely excited! I will post my thoughts and a summary of my first trial with the cue vs my old red glue JP early next week. The MW is a 56" maple shaft 1 piece, plain ebony 29mm butt with 8.5 mm black spin tip set up and 21 oz in weight.

So thanks everyone the great info from this site has led to me hopefully getting an excellent replacement for my much loved old cue. I will keep you posted!

Kind regards
    Tom

Replacement Cue

a pool team mate has now got a MW and he is over the moon with it. I have reminded him that for years he slagged of all the big name cue makers and he was happy with his previous old "cheap" cue. :biggrin:
    welcome to TSF
    look forward to hear how you get on with the new cues
    Last edited by DeanH; 25 March 2015, 11:06 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Welcome to TSF Tom ....pics of said cue when received please
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Very heavy cue for 8 ball!

Comment

I currently use a MW for English Pool cant recommend Mikes cues enough. I must say I agree with Benno 21oz sounds very heavy! I spotted the cue on Ebay and wondered whether the seller had weighed it incorrectly.

Comment

Hi guys
            Thanks for the replies. Yes of course i will post some pics.

I totally agree the cue is heavy for english pool, it is however what im used to, iv tried to use lighter cues in the past but always went back to my old JP cue. The key with that cue was the balance it never really felt that heavy. Im hoping the MW cue will feel similar.

Thanks
            Tom

Comment

Just a quick update, i have sent an email to MW to see if he has any further info on the cue and i will be seeing it on sunday.

One quick general question, what are peoples thoughts on the current best/most reliable chalk out there? Especially with MW tips. Im a little out of the loop as explained above.

Thanks
              Tom

Comment

What tip is fitted to the cue, Is it a Blackspin or Supertip? personal preference but I use Triangle if it's a Supertip or Master Cue for Blackspin.

Just a suggestion but try and play a few a games with it before parting with any cash, not everyone gets on with Maple I tried and quickly went back to ash.

Comment

Thanks, i will clarity which tip it has on.

Re maple or ash, iv always played better with maple. I find it a tiny bit better for positional shots. This could be just a reflection of what im used to though.

Comment

I notice the cue is still on Ebay. If you're in contact with Mike id ask him if he has any Sin Bin cues around, I've had a couple from him and you have to look really closely to see any imperfections at all. Good value and cracking players and you get it to your exact spec.

Comment

Hi,
                      Im going to see the cue on sunday, i havent handed over any cash as yet. This is a really big thing for me, after using the same cue (and only the one) cue for so long and that cue suiting me perfectly i need to be sure this one feels similar at least and fits my game. At least on paper this is similar to my old JP cue but as you know two cues can be identical on paper and feel totally different. Hope that makes sense

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        So heres an update, i bought the MW cue and wow its incredible, the workmanship is stunning with the fit and finish better than my old red glue Parris cue. I have played 3 games so far and playability wise its quite different to the Parris despite very similar specs (weight, tip size, maple shaft, length, butt diameter) how much of this is down to the black spin ferrule i dont know. Overall getting top/back spin on the ball is alot easier with this cue over the parris, it takes hardly any effort at all actually and for the first game or two it caught me out on positional shots. But i have to say i love it now. The balance and overall feel of the cue is similar however, as many of you have commented its a heavy cue and i agree, but thats what im used to for essentially 15 plus years of playing. What both cues have in common however is they dont feel that heavy during play meaning that soft touch shots are not a problem.

Overall im very very happy, it shares the best qualities of my old Parris cue and even improves on it in some ways, something i didnt think was possible. The cue is now packed and ready to be sent to MW for an MOT and application of his ultrashine finish. I see no reason why this cue wont last me as long if not longer than my last cue and highly recommend MW to anyone.

Thanks guys
                        Tom

Comment

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
                          I see no reason why this cue wont last me as long if not longer than my last cue and highly recommend MW to anyone.

Thanks guys
                          Tom
                          If your lucky Tom, you'll have got through this without picking up the cue buying bug.

If not, you'll keep the woolie as your main playing cue, and find it being joined by many other

cues that were too good to miss. . . .

My name is Billabong, and I'm a cue-aholic. . .

Comment

Thanks Billabong
                            I may also be developing a problem.... my pool spec MW cue has now been posted off the MW for an MOT, retip with one of his latest tips and application of his ultrashine coating. The problem is im now deciding on the spec for a snooker cue also.... his vintage spec cues do look nice....

Well i cant possibly use this cue for snooker the tip is just too small really so in actual fact i have no choice but to buy a second cue. So the argument to the other half goes..

Comment

Yep, it's the thin end of the wedge my friend.

Bear in mind you'll need an older cue ( but still a player ) as a conversation piece, oh, and a billiards cue, for the one day per year you play billiards.

Not forgetting a few cases in case you take more than 2 cues out at the same time . . etc etc

Comment

Working...
                              X