Deep screw shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post

Bruce Lee had brilliant acceleration and I think he could have had a great cue action. Free, loose acceleration is what it's about.

'I said empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water in a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.'
    this is why I love this forum. grown men talking pure sh*te
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
      this is why I love this forum. grown men talking pure sh*te
      Yes indeed! PMSL

Comment

I think you see a lot of the tops boys feathering fairly high up the white for a looking deep screw. They're on tv tables after all so maybe they can afford to not push the boundaries of a miscue but on the average club table you simply have to pish the boundaries. I have my tip resting against the bed of the table as close as possible to the white and that's where I try hitting, maybe a fraction higher as to not hit the table before the white. It isn't a timing thing or anything like that for me its simply hitting the white accurately and very low with enough speed. The speed in which you have to cue is the difficult part because accuracy on the white deteriorates. I just concentrate on hitting my chest with the grip and keeping my elbow fixed and hitting the white where I lined up to...same as any other shot really.

Comment

cue the cueball with less effort and you can get a better reaction on screw. the more effort you put in, the harder it is to screw. remember to let your grip loose and give a smooth follow through when striking it.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeTheBigMonster View Post
            cue the cueball with less effort and you can get a better reaction on screw. the more effort you put in, the harder it is to screw. remember to let your grip loose and give a smooth follow through when striking it.
            Yes, let the cue do the work, especially with screw. Relax the grip, relax the muscles in your body. Don't tense any muscles at all. Most players will stop the cue with the hand for most shots to control the white ball. For deep screw you don't stop the cue, even though unintentionally you will want to. Don't aim too low on the ball, that can just end up with the tip jabbing the ball and chalking the table. Keep your cue butt down as low as possible, this will allow you to get through the ball more and it increases accuracy as a bonus. It is about increasing acceleration through the ball but only as your cue is about to hit the white. If you accelerate too quickly, you will miscue the ball and miss the pot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
              I can screw up and down the table on a 6811 T and Pottr/Byrom/J6/OM can as well I think. It is in the cue action but it's also about stance (so your body is comfortable and relaxed) and set-up, opposite shoulder, bridge to ball length, lots of things. And of course, what is good for one player may not be good for another. Players have to make the journey of 'finding' their cue action. This takes a couple of years of practice and experiment to discover and lots of determination and patience. All the greats have made the same journey, Ronnie, Jimmy, Stephen Lee, etc.

I have found that foot-in-line limits power because the set-up limits free delivery under the chest. Foot pointing out and cue right under the nipple appears to lead to more freedom and power, even though that sounds counter-intuitive. Foot-in-line masters such as Hendry/Davis/Higgins all suffer ltd power compared to the great cueists like Lee/White.

When you deep screw, the cue feels lighter not heavier as the grip opens and you drive the cue through. But it's not a muscular drive, even though muscles are involved. It's letting the cue go but under control, so that the speed of delivery increases but with more efficient effort. Some folk flick the wrist, some don't, that's horses for courses, something to experiment with. Some have cocked wrists that stay firm, others are more flexible at the wrist, variable. What everyone does is accelerate the cue and go through the ball. But you don't hit the ball hard intentionally, you will hit the ball harder as you carry more force but it doesn't feel hard, not like a massive stun shot. You must not tense any muscle, since this will deaden the contact and lead to stun/screw type of shot. Most people tense up too much and fear missing the shot, or concentrate so much on hitting the bottom of the ball as hard as they can that they play a stun shot and miss the pot. If you tense up, your mind will be anxious and you will begin to consciously worry about the shot. With deep screw you must be brave and fear nothing and say, oh well, f*** it, let's have some fun and wow these cats. Enjoy the shot and entertain, show off. Trump/Robbo get the buzz out of it, do the same as them.

Bruce Lee had brilliant acceleration and I think he could have had a great cue action. Free, loose acceleration is what it's about.

'I said empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water in a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.'
              Well explained, I agree. The common misconception is that you need to be a big or strong guy to execute this shot. But it really does come down to the cue action and delivery/follow through. The weight of the cue itself is enough to produce the force required and your arm sort of acts as a pendulum to guide the cue. From there its definitely all about how you time it.

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                Well explained, I agree. The common misconception is that you need to be a big or strong guy to execute this shot. But it really does come down to the cue action and delivery/follow through. The weight of the cue itself is enough to produce the force required and your arm sort of acts as a pendulum to guide the cue. From there its definitely all about how you time it.
                Yes, some folk think they need to muscle it which has the opposite desired effect. Others think they need a 21oz cue, which can help but more mass means more energy/effort and delivery so that doesn't always help either. Timing is a good word to describe everything folk have said in this post.

Comment

Working...
                X