Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone play with a Hickory shafted cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone play with a Hickory shafted cue?

I don't believe i've ever seen one....

Do they look individual, play different?

The only reason I ask is......Tony Glover can make you a custom cue with a Hickory shaft.
    Safety doesn't win frames.......Potting does!

a friend is making his own cue with a hickory shaft, have not seen him for a while, shall contact him and ask how's it going
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Dozza19792 View Post

The only reason I ask is......Tony Glover can make you a custom cue with a Hickory shaft.
      I send an email to Glovers asking for a price on a bespoke cue, with these specs.........58" long, Hickory shaft, 18" 3/4 split ebony butt with 4 snakewood splices, 10.5mm tip, 29.5mm butt & 17.5oz weight.

He came back with a price of £570 plus carriage.

Not too sure if thats reasonable or not?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        a friend is making his own cue with a hickory shaft, have not seen him for a while, shall contact him and ask how's it going
        Funny enough I'm actually in the process of making one as well

I haven't played with one before, but from the characteristics of the wood that I can compare to maple and ash ones I have made, the grain isn't as open as ash but somewhere in between it and maple. Obviously each piece of wood is different regarding stiffness, but I would say it seems to be stiffer than ash also.

Comment

I send an email to Glovers asking for a price on a bespoke cue, with these specs.........58" long, Hickory shaft, 18" 3/4 split ebony butt with 4 snakewood splices, 10.5mm tip, 29.5mm butt & 17.5oz weight.

He came back with a price of £570 plus carriage.

Not too sure if thats reasonable or not?
          If you have never even seen one before what the hell are you doing ordering an expensive custom cue made of one ???
          Why not search out an old cue first to see if you even like it, could be a very very expensive gamble

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            If you have never even seen one before what the hell are you doing ordering an expensive custom cue made of one ???
            Why not search out an old cue first to see if you even like it, could be a very very expensive gamble
            Don't worry Bud........U can send in a request for a price, no obligation to buy......I was just curious.
            As u say £500 is a big wedge!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              What, like a Glover maple? lol But yeah, you could be right. Is Hickory used in pool cue manufacture?

£500 is pretty standard for a Glover.

Comment

Stupree had a Hickory one piece , from Glovers , there is a thread on here about it . I played with the cue and it is a lot smoother than Ash and denser with little grain. It hits the ball well but is very rigid and unforgiving if you cue off centre .

Comment

Yeah, hickory is quite dense at 0.83 with black ash at 0.54. Hickory seems around 60% denser. Too much for me, can't bear really stiff cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                    Yeah, hickory is quite dense at 0.83 with black ash at 0.54. Hickory seems around 60% denser. Too much for me, can't bear really stiff cues.
                    Bought an Ash shaft handspliced ebony today for a less than a 1/3 of what I was quoted today anyways....tried maple and ash shafts, found ash to be more to my liking.

Thanks anyways, much appreciated

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                      Funny enough I'm actually in the process of making one as well
                      are you my friend in disguise?

just so happens I bumped into him last night, he has not done much to the cue for a while - business travel and all that but he does want to complete it asap

Let us know how your one goes and of course some piccies
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                      X