Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Snooker Cue

Hi guys
    Im sorry to add yet another cue advice thread but i really value everyones opinion on here.
    so abit of back ground, i have played english pool to a good level for - 20 years and snooker to a not so good level over the same period, for a rough idea my highest break is 68 in a match.

Family and a change in job came around and resulted in me not playing for the last 5 or 6 years. But things settled down and i decided to get back into pool and snooker, this was about 3 months ago, all was going well until disaster struck..... for around 15 years i used one cue for snooker and one for pool and i only used those two cues for all of that time. Both cues were old red glue parris models, both 1 piece, the pool cue was 56", 8.5mm tip, 20 oz, around 30mm butt, maple shaft. The snooker cue was 56.5", 9.25 tip, 18 oz, 30mm butt, maple shaft.

The pool cue was sadly destroyed beyond repair following an incident with a great dane just over a month ago.. i was truely heart broken if im honest, i got a place in the local league with that cue and it was absolutely perfect for me. The snooker cue sadly i sold about 5 years ago when i stopped playing.

Now i am in the process of replacing the pool cue with a MW plain ebony and maple cue with very similar specs to my last pool cue. It also has the latest MW butt joint (its one piece) and the black spin ferrule. Im happy with that decision but im not sure what to do about a replacement snooker cue. Im considering a new MW vintage again to the same specs as my last snooker cue. But im open to other options, my main consideration is not really the look of the cue but getting one that is likely to play at least similar to my old red glue parris. I suppose the final question is money, im looking for a cue to keep long term so id be willing to spend around 500 to 600 if performance wise it was worth it.

I would REALLY appreciate your advice as this is a huge decision.

Thanks
    Tom

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
    Hi guys
    Im sorry to add yet another cue advice thread but i really value everyones opinion on here.
    so abit of back ground, i have played english pool to a good level for - 20 years and snooker to a not so good level over the same period, for a rough idea my highest break is 68 in a match.

Family and a change in job came around and resulted in me not playing for the last 5 or 6 years. But things settled down and i decided to get back into pool and snooker, this was about 3 months ago, all was going well until disaster struck..... for around 15 years i used one cue for snooker and one for pool and i only used those two cues for all of that time. Both cues were old red glue parris models, both 1 piece, the pool cue was 56", 8.5mm tip, 20 oz, around 30mm butt, maple shaft. The snooker cue was 56.5", 9.25 tip, 18 oz, 30mm butt, maple shaft.

The pool cue was sadly destroyed beyond repair following an incident with a great dane just over a month ago.. i was truely heart broken if im honest, i got a place in the local league with that cue and it was absolutely perfect for me. The snooker cue sadly i sold about 5 years ago when i stopped playing.

Now i am in the process of replacing the pool cue with a MW plain ebony and maple cue with very similar specs to my last pool cue. It also has the latest MW butt joint (its one piece) and the black spin ferrule. Im happy with that decision but im not sure what to do about a replacement snooker cue. Im considering a new MW vintage again to the same specs as my last snooker cue. But im open to other options, my main consideration is not really the look of the cue but getting one that is likely to play at least similar to my old red glue parris. I suppose the final question is money, im looking for a cue to keep long term so id be willing to spend around 500 to 600 if performance wise it was worth it.

I would REALLY appreciate your advice as this is a huge decision.

Thanks
    Tom
    Honest opinion is if you're happy with a Mike Wooldridge cue and used to the black spin then go again would make sense, not only his cues being very good but also as you probably know you'll get the cue with your specs within 5 weeks or so. Not sure about the vintage I would go for the legend if it's my choice. It's a no brainer getting a quality cue within such a short amount of time rather then waiting years for a cue off another decent cuemaker.
    Last edited by Leo; 27 March 2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Best of luck with whatever you choose Tom.Just out of interest - what's your thinking having a 20 oz cue for pool & an 18 oz one for snooker?
      :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Hi Guys

So here's an update, i have just (today) placed an order for a MW Black Legend, the specs are, Ash shaft (a change from my old maple snooker cue i know..) 56" length, 30mm butt diameter, 18 oz, 9.25mm tip. I was so impressed with my MW pool spec cue i felt i had to go with MW again for the snooker cue. I also loved the black spin ferrule so that was a factor in the decision also. I will try and post some pics of my MW pool cue ASAP and the snooker cue when i get it.

Thanks for the advice guys its much appreciated
        Tom

Comment

Hi all,
          Latest update my MW Black Legend is done and i will hopefully get it this week. I made a late change to the spec, i changed the length to 57 as i felt the touch of extra length on a snooker table would help on some shots were i previously felt i was a little short with my previous cue. I cant wait to get out on the table with it when it arrives. The MW maple pool spec cue is still going well and im 100% happy with it. I really do like the combo of the MW black spin tip and ferrule they have been a total revelation.

Comment

Working...
          X