This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    That is a very subjective point . What are you basing this on ? Number of cues sold ?

As i've said on a number of occasions on here before , i have been lucky enough to have owned a few cues from top cue makers and also seen many more .

From what i've seen over the years i would class the top 3 as ........Trevor White , Robert Osborne and John Parris . I grant you there is not much in it but that is my personal opinion .

ADR said that he has never seen a bad Robin Cook cue , i played with one and didn't like it......but that doesn't mean that it was not a great cue. Again , only my personal opinion .

At the end of the day it's horses for courses and everyone is entitled to their opinion . Which is what makes this Forum a fascinating place .

Common Sense post worth valuing. Thankyou Neil.
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 27 March 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Neil did make a good post. I can only base my decision on the cues that I have owned and have really got to grips with. That is a John Parris Elite cue that I have owned for 20 years.

It really is each to his own when it comes to cues. Because my Elite is such a great cue I wanted to upgrade to the 'Ultimate'

When looking for a cue there is so much to consider like, weight, length, tip size and butt diameter among other things. What someone would view as the best cue they have ever owned could be viewed as the worst cue ever by someone else.

I have my preferences and will stick with it.

I've got to say I have enjoyed this debate and this forum has lived up to all expectations when discussing favourite players and cues. May it long continue.

Comment

Originally Posted by 2v1977 View Post
        Neil did make a good post. I can only base my decision on the cues that I have owned and have really got to grips with. That is a John Parris Elite cue that I have owned for 20 years.

It really is each to his own when it comes to cues. Because my Elite is such a great cue I wanted to upgrade to the 'Ultimate'

When looking for a cue there is so much to consider like, weight, length, tip size and butt diameter among other things. What someone would view as the best cue they have ever owned could be viewed as the worst cue ever by someone else.

I've got to say I have enjoyed this debate and this forum has lived up to all expectations when discussing favourite players and cues. May it long continue.
        You say you love your JP elite cue and say you want to upgrade to the JP ultimate, just wondered what are you looking to gain from buying the ultimate. In other words what will make this cue different to your elite?

Comment

But you also then have the issue that the 'Ultimate ' might not be the ' ONE ' . [ But you won't lose any money due to the re-sale value ]

I had a Trevor White made for me a few cues back , and believe it or not.........................it was not the ' ONE '

But then my latest one was also made by Trevor............and it is the ' ONE '
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            But you also then have the issue that the 'Ultimate ' might not be the ' ONE ' . [ But you won't lose any money due to the re-sale value ]

I had a Trevor White made for me a few cues back , and believe it or not.........................it was not the ' ONE '

But then my latest one was also made by Trevor............and it is the ' ONE '
            Exactly and that's why your point about ADR saying RC had never made a bad cue etc is so valid. Even TW can make a cue that might not be the one, as can JP. They take great care to select the best billets of ash they can find, and JP has the best sources for his timber, better than anyone else, that's what royalty gets. And then they cut the billets three times over nine months, slowly, slowly. But even after all this, the timber might not play well and that's down to the microscopic structure of the shaft, the things we can't see with the naked eye. Every shaft is slightly different, even at the top end of cue-making. But top cue makers are doing everything they can to make the 'one' for you but it's not an exact science unfortunately. And people should remember this before they slag off JP and bring great shame on themselves.

Comment

I think what ADR is getting at with regard to Robin Cook , is the quality of the workmanship . I.E the aesthetics of the cue . Splices lining up extra .

Personally i believe that you get a better quality of finish with Trevor White / Robert Osborne as they are not producing the quantity of cues that John Parris is . Again not much in it though . John Parris would not be where he is in the market today if he was churning out rubbish !

Do you think that you get a better product from the ' one man ' band cue maker ? Personally i think you do slightly .

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                Exactly and that's why your point about ADR saying RC had never made a bad cue etc is so valid. Even TW can make a cue that might not be the one, as can JP. They take great care to select the best billets of ash they can find, and JP has the best sources for his timber, better than anyone else, that's what royalty gets. And then they cut the billets three times over nine months, slowly, slowly. But even after all this, the timber might not play well and that's down to the microscopic structure of the shaft, the things we can't see with the naked eye. Every shaft is slightly different, even at the top end of cue-making. But top cue makers are doing everything they can to make the 'one' for you but it's not an exact science unfortunately. And people should remember this before they slag off JP and bring great shame on themselves.

Exactly ........but the cue could well be the ' ONE ' for someone else .

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  MB you say in your post JP has the best sources of timber, same as royalty as you put it. As you seem to state the ins and outs of the Parris empire, what makes his timber on his shafts more superior then what Trevor uses or Wooldridge or Osborne etc etc?

Comment

Cues and what you prefer or class as the best

its complete tosh,you think parris could keep a lumber yard going by himself so he could cherry pick,its down to the numbers.mb has elevated jp to god like status and I don't think he knows how silly he sounds with all this talk of cutting it bit by bit letting it settle ect,he's fell for the hype which tells me he's just a google expert

Comment

• I think that you find that they probably use the same timber yard . I know that Robert Osborne met Dave Coutts at one once .

Assume that John Parris must have an excellent eye for what is a decent piece of timber . All down to years' of experience . So a piece other makers think maybe no good , he will think otherwise .

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                        i think that you find that they probably use the same timber yard . I know that robert osborne met dave coutts at one once .

Assume that john parris must have an excellent eye for what is a decent piece of timber . All down to years' of experience . So a piece other makers think maybe no good , he will think otherwise .
                        [ATTACH]17723[/ATTACH]

lol
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• Timber .....Wood.......it's all the same . Grown from trees

Comment

• Originally Posted by 2v1977 View Post

why would anybody who has a cue they think is great want to change it - clearly you are going to be disappointed because EVERY cue is different regardless of maker, and just because it says ultimate on the badge does not make it better, I suspect you will find you prefer your elite, if not you have been incredibly lucky.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• As ADR has said, that's the problem with cues. It can look absolutely brilliant, but might not feel right to YOU at all.

A cue will never make you a better player though, that is for sure!
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                                why would anybody who has a cue they think is great want to change it - clearly you are going to be disappointed because EVERY cue is different regardless of maker, and just because it says ultimate on the badge does not make it better, I suspect you will find you prefer your elite, if not you have been incredibly lucky.
                                This is some thing I am not going to know until my new cue arrives. It may be a case of not being able to get along with it. I will just have to wait and see. I wanted a longer cue because I didn't feel comfortable cueing with my fingers hanging off the butt. The cue is clearly to short. I know some will say it doesn't matter but I don't like it so I am changing it. I have designed my own cue with lots of different woods and veneers. It will be the same weight, tip size as my Elite, but will be a couple inches longer and be a different colour scheme with the woods and veneers.

I am fortunate enough that the financial side of it isn't a problem so thought why not get a new one.

I have said my Elite is a great cue, it really is, but its now 20 years old and showing signs of use and along with the length issue I thought I would treat myself.

I know it won't make me play better just because it has Ultimate on it. I have had it made to my exact specs so lets see how it comes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X