Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with the frustration of missing easy pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with the frustration of missing easy pots?

A bit of background. I used to play when I was a teenager, I had a few coaching sessions with a coach called Brian Cox, great coach and he helped me improve greatly.
    I stopped playing when I was 19 I think, and have just recently started playing again (27) after getting contact lenses. I am struggling to string a few balls together now. Had a session a few weeks back with a different coach from my area, he tweaked a lot in my approach and I feel that it's a lot steadier now, cue going straighter etc..
    Anyway, using the routines I was given by Pete, I can pot a few decent balls together but I'm let down by either my positional play or simply missing the easier pots. I start to miss a few, get annoyed and just go to pieces really, missing straight balls, blacks off the spot etc.. It's really doing my head in that I can't seem to play like I used to, and I think a lot of it is down to me missing and then getting distracted by being peed off. Don't get me wrong, I was never a half decent player, 25-30s average break, 48 highest. Any advice from anybody regarding the temper please?

For me playing the game is very relaxing. So enjoy the things that make snooker special, atmosphere, tranquillity, sportsmanship. Wife and kids somewhere else.
    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
      For me playing the game is very relaxing. So enjoy the things that make snooker special, atmosphere, tranquillity, sportsmanship. Wife and kids somewhere else.
      Thats very true enjoy it for what it is and remind urslef ur not professional that usually calms me down and a pint have a pint

Comment

Listen man, you can't give up. If you want to deal with the frustration of missing easy pots you need to put the work in.

I'm on the table 24/7 missing pots, now, I miss so many it's just natural ;-)

Keep missing those pots and soon you'll be a seasoned pot misser like me. You'll get there.

Comment

Break the cue

Comment

How do you deal with the frustration of missing easy pots?

I had done that no so long ago bad idea haha

Comment

I tell myself that I took my eye off the pot, it's usually as simple as that.
              That's what concentration is all about, making sure you don't take your eye off the object ball, even the easy ones need to be looked at.
              The slightest glance away from the object ball when getting down and you're on the wrong line of aim, the slightest glance away from the object ball on delivery of the cue and your hand will follow your eye.
              Your coach should have told you this BTW.

You may be experiencing something different in your eyesight now that you're wearing contacts, your focus might not be as fast as it once was as contacts have a tendancy to cloud over and you need to blink that away.
              If that clouding happens when trying to focus on the object ball, consciously make yourself aware of it and blink it away before getting down into your stance or delivering the cue.

It's very important that you look, it's just as important that you can see.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                Break the cue
                Did a John Parris cue up for my brother a while ago...new ferrule, tip, took lots of dinks out and complete refinish / oil, the cue looked and felt great afterwards.

Watched him in a match miss a black whilst on 44 in a match and he bent the cue over the rail shouting, "I could, I really could."

A week later I was giving him a good hiding and said his form had just disappeared since that game. As he set the balls up he put his cue on the table and I noticed it looked odd, he had done a good job of warping his shaft! Still trying to teach him how to breath, keep his mind clear and wait for his opportunity as other people are allowed to pot balls!
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by MF88 View Post
                  A bit of background. I used to play when I was a teenager, I had a few coaching sessions with a coach called Brian Cox, great coach and he helped me improve greatly.
                  I stopped playing when I was 19 I think, and have just recently started playing again (27) after getting contact lenses. I am struggling to string a few balls together now. Had a session a few weeks back with a different coach from my area, he tweaked a lot in my approach and I feel that it's a lot steadier now, cue going straighter etc..
                  Anyway, using the routines I was given by Pete, I can pot a few decent balls together but I'm let down by either my positional play or simply missing the easier pots. I start to miss a few, get annoyed and just go to pieces really, missing straight balls, blacks off the spot etc.. It's really doing my head in that I can't seem to play like I used to, and I think a lot of it is down to me missing and then getting distracted by being peed off. Don't get me wrong, I was never a half decent player, 25-30s average break, 48 highest. Any advice from anybody regarding the temper please?
                  Ask yourself these questions

1 is being frustrated both a positive or and a debilitating thing? It is good learn to take positives from every bad thing.

2. Does it make you want to practice more? Good right? Preparation is everything - no excuses then cant blame yourself for trying

3 Would practicing easy balls and working on your focus and concentration on easy balls make you miss less?

4. would that then make you get less frustrated?

5. Is the answer not only then to work on technique but also to work on developing a good focus and temperament so as not to get frustrated? This advice is worth a lot of frames in a year to someone who understands what I am saying - at any level in the game a cool mindset is a vital tool.

Answer is always within - learn to understand yourself.

I laugh off bad shots and understand the pain of a bad defeat goes away in a few days and the pain is only one you make for yourself by attaching importance to it and trying too hard because you want it and you get frustrated your game does not always match your expectations but it rarely ever does if you are into snooker because a good snooker player is never happy. So what is the point in banging on about it and filling your head with negative vibes. Move on get the missed shot bad beat game and all that nonsense out your head before it tears you up. Go to your happy place brush it off - it means nothing and when it means nothing your game will improve.

Everyone gets frustrated - they have just learnt the secret to improvement in results and form is learning to deal with defeat and disappointment better than the other guy.
                  The top pro guys deal with defeat far more often than a top am player and they are far more experienced at dealing with it. 128 enter these events 127 loose.
                  Last edited by Byrom; 13 April 2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    Ask yourself these questions

Answer is always within - learn to understand yourself.

I laugh off bad shots and understand the pain of a bad defeat goes away in a few days and the pain is only one you make for yourself by attaching importance to it and trying too hard because you want it and you get frustrated your game does not always match your expectations but it rarely ever does if you are into snooker because a good snooker player is never happy. So what is the point in banging on about it and filling your head with negative vibes. Move on get the missed shot bad beat game and all that nonsense out your head before it tears you up. Go to your happy place brush it off - it means nothing and when it means nothing your game will improve.

Everyone gets frustrated - they have just learnt the secret to improvement in results and form is learning to deal with defeat and disappointment better than the other guy.
                    The top pro guys deal with defeat far more often than a top am player and they are far more experienced at dealing with it. 128 enter these events 127 loose.
                    It's just so true....

Comment

You never get over it... If you're the type of guy (like I am) who gets annoyed when they perform poorly, you will always get frustrated.

It doesn't matter how much you practice, how many balls you pot or what you tell yourself ahead of time... You will always get angry and disappointed.

Your frustration level will depend on your mood that day my friend.

Embrace who you are... Get angry, just remember to laugh at yourself afterwards and never be disrespectful to an opponent or make excuses for defeat

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                        You never get over it... If you're the type of guy (like I am) who gets annoyed when they perform poorly, you will always get frustrated.

It doesn't matter how much you practice, how many balls you pot or what you tell yourself ahead of time... You will always get angry and disappointed.

Your frustration level will depend on your mood that day my friend.

Embrace who you are... Get angry, just remember to laugh at yourself afterwards and never be disrespectful to an opponent or make excuses for defeat
                        I don't know about this one = after a bad shot, I have blamed my cue, lack of chalk, lack of sleep, having things on my mind, not getting enough practice, my cue, the table condition, the lights, the balls, light white, my luck, the hard days work, the kids, and who does not shake their head and look down at the tip like its falling off or about to be ripped off.

After you go through that a million times and it means nothing then you start to chill. Sometimes

Comment

Ermmmm Wednesday night when I played like a clown I banged my cue on the floor, swore, almost broke my cue over my knee, googled how much my cue would go for on ebay, then got in my car went to Mcdonalds and forgot about it.
                          It depends on the day for me, I changed my job two years ago and it's more stressful than my old one and my fuse is perhaps a little shorter than it used to be.
                          On other days I laugh and just get on with it.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Ime same at golf ,lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                              Ime same at golf ,lol
                              are you a club thrower Jim?!
                              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X